AppleCare pulled from Italian stores over antitrust flap

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

First it doesn't prove anything, it creates doubt. Secondly, not that I'm aware of. As far as I know, the UK has 4 opt-outs: one from the EMU (Euro), another for the Charter of Fundamental Rights (a kind of European constitution), and two for the open borders.

Give it time ....

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/10/15/may-s-surprise-attack-uk-to-opt-out-of-130-eu-laws

• Reply 42 of 57

Even with the added taxes (additional shipping doesn't count because Shenzhen is closer to Europe than the US), Apple gear is more expensive in Europe than the US, so the added margin should cover the extra 2 year warranty that is mandated by law.

I love Apple hardware - the design and build quality is so nice. Apple Care however is one of those bizarre offerings that every electronics retailer loves to pitch which is pure profit made on chickenshit customers. 

I know that everyone knows someone who made out like a thief with getting a brand new replacement 2 years after the original purchase because they found a scratch on the back of the item but still, how silly is it to pay insurance for an item that is cheap enough to not seriously affect your finances if it breaks?

I mean, $99 extra for an iPhone warranty??? That's 17% of an unsubsidized iPhone. That's like paying almost $7k extra on a $40k car or $70k extra on a $400k house for a 2 year warranty.....

With one big difference that if the car breaks or the house burns down, it would make more sense to have paid that extra money because who has another $400k burning a hole in their pocket.

Personally, I purchased two iMacs, two iPods and six iPhones and zero Apple Care in the past decade.

Saved roughly $1500 on declining Apple Care so far. I trust Apple product quality enough to not fall for that silly insurance deal.

• Reply 43 of 57
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Good question.
    I saw some valid answers.
    I would like to add that this is one of the reasons the EU doesn't work.

J.

Whether it works or not, you've come to the conclusion that it doesn't work based in this info?
  • Reply 44 of 57
    philboogie wrote: »
    Wow! That is actually a very sad thing to happen. Although the law requires 2 years warranty, you will get way more service through Apple Care.

What are you talking about? Their laws require Apple to provide 2 years of warranty service on all their products over there (unlike the poor warranty period here in the U.S.). Apple is STILL selling AppleCare on their website, which would give the buyer 4 years of coverage.

The SAD part is that Apple has intentionally tried to circumvent the warranty laws in the EU in the first place. I like Apple products, but their lack of willingness to follow local laws really makes dislike the company.
  • Reply 45 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

I think the point being made is that whatever Apple does in Europe, it can't win with so many consumers having such strong feelings of entitlement.  I am all for consumer protection, but I can't see how this is good for business.

I can see how it's good for business to have a company that would say "we entirely trust our systems and will guarantee them for 6 years". But then again, I'm a stupid "entitled" person, who thinks Apple's superior to Dell/HP. Probably I should stop feeling so entitled and start buying HP crap to make you happy?

Actually, no, I shouldn't. Crawl back to your HP-filled juknyard, bubaye.

• Reply 46 of 57
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you pay in Euros?

That's an EU ruling too. Isn't it?

Lol no.

Euro is not a ruling.

• Reply 47 of 57
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Good question.

I saw some valid answers.

I would like to add that this is one of the reasons the EU doesn't work.

J.

Some things work great, like Schengen.

• Reply 48 of 57
    lamewing wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Their laws require Apple to provide 2 years of warranty service on all their products over there (unlike the poor warranty period here in the U.S.). Apple is STILL selling AppleCare on their website, which would give the buyer 4 years of coverage.

The SAD part is that Apple has intentionally tried to circumvent the warranty laws in the EU in the first place. I like Apple products, but their lack of willingness to follow local laws really makes dislike the company.

Your dislike is likely obscured from not knowing the facts. Apple does grant the mandatory 2 year warranty. I suggest you read up on what Apple Care exactly covers.
  • Reply 49 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Your dislike is likely obscured from not knowing the facts. Apple does grant the mandatory 2 year warranty. I suggest you read up on what Apple Care exactly covers.

Knowing that they have to give a 2 year guarantee, doesn't is piss you off to continue to read in the Dutch online Apple Store? 

Elke iPad mini wordt geleverd met 90 dagen gratis telefonische ondersteuning, gerekend vanaf de aankoopdatum, en een jaar beperkte garantie.*

• Reply 50 of 57
    gogo2000 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Knowing that they have to give a 2 year guarantee, doesn't is piss you off to continue to read in the Dutch online Apple Store? 
    <h3 style="margin-bottom:40px;padding-bottom:13px;font-size:22px;border-bottom-width:1px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-color:rgb(208,208,208);font-family:'Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;line-height:20px;background-color:rgb(252,252,252);">[SIZE=14px]Elke iPad mini wordt geleverd met 90 dagen gratis telefonische ondersteuning, gerekend vanaf de aankoopdatum, en een jaar beperkte garantie.*[/SIZE]</h3>

Doesn't piss me off,no. I might be better informed than others, but it is 'generally known' the EU mandates a 2-year warranty. And the specifics in that warranty are not the same as Apple Care.
  • Reply 51 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne2612 View Post

how does this equate to the uk?

apple still advertise their products as having a 12 month warranty here when it should be 2 years because of the eu ruling.

In the Uk we have decided to stick with our 6 year rule rather than the 2 year EU rule. There are pro and cons, obviously 7 years is better than 2 but the burden of proof is shifted to the consumer after 12 months in the UK. (technically it is 6 months but statutory warranties are often 12m)

Most reputable phone/pc manufacturers now offer the same 2 year waranty seen in the most of the EU. Apple are swiming against the tide in this respect.

• Reply 52 of 57

Quote:

Doesn't piss me off,no. I might be better informed than others, but it is 'generally known' the EU mandates a 2-year warranty. And the specifics in that warranty are not the same as Apple Care.

There is no doubts that the standard warranty and Apple Care are two different things.  

The question is: if the EU has a mandate of 2 years why do the online Apple Stores across Europe (The Netherlands; France; Spain; Germany; Portugal; UK) continue to mention "1 year limited warranty"”??

This is wrong and misleading. Less well informed customers will in deed go ahead with Apple Care because they are unaware of their consumer rights! It's just wrong and unethical!!!! As a consumer it pisses me off and I believe that the fact that Apple does it opens a bad precedent across Europe.

I think the Italians consumer groups were right to stir things up!

• Reply 53 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

There is no doubts that the standard warranty and Apple Care are two different things.  

In practice they are indeed different. Turn around is often faster, devices are often swapped rather than repaired but I have always wonderd if this is (for the want of a better word) "goodwill" rather than official policy.

Most people assume that they are given a new phone when they take back a faulty handset to an apple store but the terms and conditions do say that apple reserve the right to use reconditioned parts and no doubt do so from time to time.

Granted they offer telephone support but I shouldn't imagine that many people need to ask how to do a, b or c once they have familiarised themselves.

If you read through the T&Cs they look pretty standard and don't seem to offering anything more than most other firms offer with their free 2 year warranties. I am not familiar with the US version though and don't know if that is a better product than the EU version. Actually, even the EU version varies from state to state

In short, I can see why the Italians got annoyed with apple effectively charging people for a free service.

• Reply 54 of 57

Quote:

True, but the website should state that this does not exclude the EU warranty. I remember reading it on Apple's site, but I can't say if it was on the French or Dutch site.

Disclaimer: I currently work in Amsterdam :p

• Reply 55 of 57

Quote:

are you able to explain what those differences (officiallly) are?  it might help potential customers decide if they want to take the free 2 year warranty or the paid for apple extended warranty.

Tnx

• Reply 56 of 57

Just had a look at http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

It is an exercise in taking the truth and distorting it to scare the crap of of customers.

They want the reader to believe that only faults evident at the time of purchase are covered byt the EU warranty, whilst they claim that only they are generous and benevolent enough to care about you after the point of purchase. Stating that they will cover faults that arise after the customer takes delivery.

BUT

"during the Coverage Period, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in

materials and workmanship has arisen" but not "

Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product

"

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_iPhone_EMEA_English_v5.4.pdf

IN OTHER WORDS,

With regard to hardware coverage- AppleCare is a con. It offers you nothing more than that the statutory 2 year EU warranty. Both cover you against faulty materials and workmanship, neither protects you from wear and tear. Both allow the seller to use reconditioned parts at their discretion. One is free the other expensive...  

• Reply 57 of 57
    Excellent points here! I just read the official law on this, and it basically boils down to the advise of [B]not[/B] buying extra coverage as people are already covered by warranty. True, some get a replacement unit when that actually is a kind gesture by the Apple Store (employee) but shouldn't be taken as a guarantee.