Rumor: Adobe to announce Retina display-ready Photoshop CS6 on Dec. 11

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
An announcement on Adobe's website regarding the company's upcoming "Create Now Live" contains a video that appears to show a Retina display MacBook Pro running Photoshop CS6, suggesting the photo editing software will finally be getting native high-resolution screen support.

Photoshop Retina
Source: Adobe

As noted by Mac Otakara, the embedded video shows a MacBook Pro with Retina display running Photoshop CS6 in what looks to be the laptop's native Hi-DPI screen resolution.

The most telling evidence is the screenshot above, which clearly shows incredibly smooth font and mouse cursor reproduction indicative of the MacBook's Retina display.

In August, Adobe announced that it would be bringing support for both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 by the end of the year. Adobe released Lightroom 4.3 earlier in November with support for both the 13-inch and 15-inch Retina-toting MacBook Pro models.

Adobe is slated to kick off "Create Now Live" on Dec. 11, with a keynote from Vice President of Products Jeffrey Veen. Among the topics of discussion will be new Creative Cloud features and design talks from industry professionals.

The full event schedule:
December 11, 2012
Keynote
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. PST
Jeffrey Veen, Vice President, Products, Adobe
Meet the Pros and Adobe Evangelists
11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. PST
  • Scott Kelby, CEO, Kelby Media Group and President, National Association of Photoshop Professionals
  • Justin Weyers, Producer, Made Visual Studio
  • Karlssonwilker founders Hijalti Karlsson & Jan Wilker
  • Cinthia Wen, founder and creative director, NOON and Chair, Graphic Design, California College of the Arts
  • Adobe evangelists Rufus Deuchler, Jason Levine, Julieanne Kost, Paul Trani, and Terry White

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If any app can benefit from/has a reason to adopt Retina hardware it's Photoshop.
  • Reply 2 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If any app can benefit from/has a reason to adopt Retina hardware it's Photoshop.

And video editing apps, and other similar apps like gimp, aperture, pixelmator, etc and pretty much any other app on the planet, besides fart apps.

• Reply 3 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There are a few apps I'd place above Photoshop in importance. Illustrator and InDesign, most notably. I think they're much more important to have Retina display support than Photoshop. That and any type design software. I'd much rather have my type and vector graphics retina-rendered than bitmapped graphics any day.

• Reply 4 of 12
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Photoshop Elements too please. Maybe end of 2013 with PSE 12?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I know this would be expensive, but now would be a great time for Apple to release a Retina Thunderbolt Display. Perhaps around the same time the MacPro is announced/released?

• Reply 6 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I know this would be expensive, but now would be a great time for Apple to release a Retina Thunderbolt Display. Perhaps around the same time the MacPro is announced/released?

I do expect the ATD to be at least updated to being very thin, but I'm not sure going with 4x as many pixels is feasible yet.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do expect the ATD to be at least updated to being very thin, but I'm not sure going with 4x as many pixels is feasible yet.

I'm not sure either and like I said, I think it would be very expensive if they were able to do so. I agree though, I see them making the display as thin (possibly thinner) than the current gen iMacs. 

• Reply 8 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have a rMBP but I am still a little confused by what they mean that the applications are optimized for Retina. Aren't we just talking about the user interface? So any graphic buttons or icons are higher res, big deal... Most of the user interface is text so that it can be multilingual. There is no change to the content of the document and with those design apps you already benefit from retina by virtue of the crisper display quality. The thing that really needs fixing is the actual size of the content. If you pull up the rulers in those design apps on a retina display the inch ruler looks more like a metric ruler since is is so much smaller than real life.

• Reply 9 of 12
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    With Adobe's history of charging for the most trivial of updates I'm going to be shocked if this isn't a paid upgrade... "CS 6.5 w/ retina support please bring your wheel barrel of money". Sorry for the cynisim I just lost all respect for adobe years ago...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

With Adobe's history of charging for the most trivial of updates I'm going to be shocked if this isn't a paid upgrade... "CS 6.5 w/ retina support please bring your wheel barrel of money". Sorry for the cynisim I just lost all respect for adobe years ago...

I am very happy with the subscription model. Adobe CS is the gold standard of design applications. As a professional designer I would be hard pressed to get any respect or business without it. We share working files with other designers from around the world and the only acceptable formats are CS files.

• Reply 11 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Not to the consumer market anyway. There are 4k TVs coming around for sale, but I think the chances of Apple making a consumer 4k TV any time soon are even smaller than an HDTV.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    So now Photoshop can do video editing, 3D rendering and use CSS style layouts. Features are nice but when a bunch of apps have the same major features, some people are going to do crazy things like actually editing a movie together in Photoshop.

Maybe there doesn't need to be a suite of apps any more, just views. So you'd launch one app with one common UI and you'd just create a new object that opens in a new tab. This can be a movie sequence, a web page, an Indesign layout or whatever. You'd never be aware of the engine processing the view. Items could be copied between tabs and you could have it so that saving would save all the changes in every tab in one go but to their respective file formats.

I'd quite like to see the .psd format replaced with a lossless compressed format too e.g .pcd. Layered PNGs are so much more efficient with space and there's no difference. It's a little slower to save but they use about 1/10th the space. This would allow auto-saves more easily as you aren't writing so much to disk and it's easier to email. If they can allow tiling in the format too, that could be a bonus for really high resolution images. A texture artist painting over a UV map wouldn't have to save a 4k+ document every time, just the small 512x512 tiles they'd changed. Again this helps with auto-save and mutiprocessor usage.

Instead of coming up with a new brand for things like Adobe Edge, it would just be a new CS Suite view. They'd have the freedom to incorporate as many 'apps' no matter how big or small. If they had a codebase especially for cropping, they could have a whole UI view for just that.