Tim Cook to be feature of NBC profile next week in 'first of its kind' interview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    They're going to do it naked.
    Now that is funny!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I wonder how much of this interview will be about Cook or about Apple
  • Reply 23 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,362moderator
    "Unlike the man he replaced, Steve Jobs, Tim Cook was able to walk all but unrecognized across the central floor of Grand Central Station,"

I think some people did a double-take but that was possibly because:

His name is Williams.... Brian Williams. License to grill (interviewees).
    Williams said. "Once we got to his Apple store that changed, of course, as devoted fans approached and treated him like a rock star.?

Yeah, teenage girls tend to approach rock stars one at a time and politely shake their hands in an awkward sort of 'I like you but not in a gay way' approach with such reassuring statements as 'I just want to say, we believe in you' delivered in a lacklustre manner. Next time, middle-aged rucksack man, throw your y-fronts in his face and scream his name while having a schizophrenic fit until you pass out.

Let's hope Brian asks him about Forstall and doesn't let it go until he answers.
  • Reply 24 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Apparently this rat thinks everyone cares what he thinks.

The trouble with "rats" is that they look at their mirror image and see "star"  ;~)

• Reply 25 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fotoformat wrote: »
    The trouble with "rats" is that they look at their mirror image and see "star"  ;~)

Tell a bastard, "Rats! A ballet!"
  • Reply 26 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think some people did a double-take but that was possibly because:

It's your man off the TV. I thought Williams was dead? Who's the news guy who kind of looks like Williams, who is dead?

• Reply 27 of 45
    Mr Tim Cook needs to come to my apple store to get his autograph ;)
  • Reply 28 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »
    gtr wrote: »
    This new mobile setup work brilliantly on iOS devices.
    A big thanks to the AppleInsider staff working...inside...AppleInsider for implementing this and giving us some lovin'.

They really should have created an article about this going live (something I requested in the trial thread) so we all don't muck up the other threads once we all start to realize this new feature. But they didn't so we might as unleash out platitudes everywhere we can like a rabbit droppings. :D

How do you zoom to make the text larger for old eyes?
  • Reply 29 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Let's hope Brian asks him about Forstall and doesn't let it go until he answers.

Brian Williams is not a forum troll.

• Reply 30 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ismael072307 View Post

Mr Tim Cook needs to come to my apple store to get his autograph image

Would you settle for Mr. Ballmer's autograph instead?

• Reply 31 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

We're primates%u2026 We worship wealth and the power it represents, and long to suck up to people we imagine are somehow superior. It's a fact of life, but do we have to pretend that there's something novel about it?

Steve Jobs was just a guy. Tim Cook is just a guy. Jesus Christ was just a guy. And the celebrity/hero worship/messiah complex thing is just monkey business, literally.

An interview is not the same thing as worship, sucking up, or whatever hang up you have. It's a series of questions and answers. People get interviewed all the time.

• Reply 32 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Would you settle for Mr. Ballmer's autograph instead?

That's pretty funny!

• Reply 33 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"first of its kind"

Will someone please explain what could possible be original about another corporate CEO interview?

We're primates%u2026 We worship wealth and the power it represents, and long to suck up to people we imagine are somehow superior. It's a fact of life, but do we have to pretend that there's something novel about it?

Steve Jobs was just a guy. Tim Cook is just a guy. Jesus Christ was just a guy. And the celebrity/hero worship/messiah complex thing is just monkey business, literally.

Oh, really? You just blew my mind. 

Seriously, who the **** here, or anywhere, thinks of Cook as a hero or messiah? Sucking up? Whether you like it or not, he has the most influential position in the most influential technology company of today. He's an incredibly accomplished, skilled person and people like to gleam insights from these kinds of people. I would defintely take admiration of someone like Tim Cook as more rational than that of 99% of the shitty celebrities/popstars that have no real, tangible skill or accomplishments to speak of beyond raving fans based on electronically modified voices, and shitty lyrics that appeal to 13 year old emo girls. I don't think Cook is 'superior', but I respect what he's accomplished in this life, which has been a combination of hard work, intelligence, skill, etc. And yes, if I saw him in an Apple store I would definitely shake his hand- why the hell wouldn't I? That doesn't mean I think he's a messiah, but it does mean I think he's worthy of a handshake and a couple words. 

Get over yourself and your 'wealth/power' rant, its pretty misdirected here. I doubt anyone here gives a shit about Cook's wealth, what we do give a shit about is the decisions he makes while leading Apple. Cook has also always been a behind the scenes guy, and there's no evidence at all that he seeks the spotlight or wants others to see him as some sort of star- and if he's decided to do this interview, it's because he believes it will be something positive for the company, not himself personally or any kind of stardom. 

• Reply 34 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,362moderator
    Marvin wrote: »

Brian Williams is not a forum troll.

He is a journalist though, which has the same qualification as 'forum troll' these days, which is addressing topics people might not like. Scott Forstall is Apple's most senior software engineer, has been at Apple for 15 years and led the small team that developed Apple's most successful software product. It's a big deal that he got the boot and it would be nice to find out what happened.

I doubt Brian Williams would go for the jugular, he doesn't seem the type but it's a standard practise in interviews. There was the Nixon interview with Frost, the Bashir interview with Jackson, the battery interview with Ive:

everything goes fine and then 5:17 he tries to stick the knife in - that might be his 'visibly winced' face. I imagine Williams will have gone over the interview topics beforehand but the state of Apple at present is bound to come into it and inevitably the state of the senior staff is a big part of that. I'm sure Tim Cook will at least want to reassure people that everything is ok.
  • Reply 35 of 45

Brian Williams is easily awed by celebrities and "powerful" people. The fawning he displayed in one memorable Bono (from U2) interview was hilarious. He is someone who should never have been hired by a news organization because he certainly is no journalist.

On the plus side, this gives Tim Cook a chance to tap dance and promote the Apple economy.

• Reply 36 of 45
    Brian Williams is easily awed by celebrities and "powerful" people.

Sounds like a lot of people here are too.
  • Reply 37 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyButMe View Post

Brian Williams is easily awed by celebrities and "powerful" people.

Sounds like a lot of people here are too.

The point is, he sucks up to the subjects of his interviews and fails to ask tough questions.

• Reply 38 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The average person has no clue who Scott Forstall is. Brian Williams won't be asking about him.
  • Reply 39 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The average person has no clue who Scott Forstall is. Brian Williams won't be asking about him.

The true meaning of news today... if it aint popular don't report it.

• Reply 40 of 45

So, terribly enough, the Guide data for this shows as an interview with "Jim Cook" at least as it was provided to DirecTV.  LAME, guide data purveyors, LAME.