Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

As for the Surface, did you read my post? I am not saying that the surface is the solution (or the good solution, anyhow), but hopefully, someone somewhere will come up with one.

Apple already did. And will have for everyone else once their 13" and 15" iPads are released.

• Reply 122 of 147

Quote:

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Why don't you think there is a problem? Do you LIKE carrying several devices around? As for the Surface, did you read my post? I am not saying that the surface is the solution (or the good solution, anyhow), but hopefully, someone somewhere will come up with one.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

That's like saying there's a problem because a spoon and a fork can't always be used interchangeably. Sure, it's easier to carry around just a spork (or runcible spoon), but it doesn't work as well for eating soup or salad.

Then again, if you're only having salad, you don't need a spoon anyway. The problem is that you are having soup and salad, and thought you could eat it with a fork. The spork isn't going to work much better for you, but your insisting on using it anyway.

• Reply 123 of 147
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple already did. And will have for everyone else once their 13" and 15" iPads are released.

Apple did what? What is the good solution whereof you speak? And as for the 13"/15" iPads, I must have missed the announcement -- can you please point me to it?

• Reply 124 of 147
    Just what is the job that these Surface tablets are supposed to so… I don't now!
    Haven't you seen the ad?
    They can be used instead of precussion with all this awesome keyboard clicking and kickstand flapping.
    The future will present hundreds of Surface Pro Combos.
    LOL
  • Reply 125 of 147
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That price point is astoundingly bad.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Well, maybe not everybody. But the machines are nice.

yeah, maybe like only the 40% of everybody that wants an ultra something laptop now. that sure ain't the 97% Windows hegemony of old - that really was nearly everybody.

and an even nicer ultra machine is an Apple laptop with Windows 7 loaded too, if you like/need it (my wife does for work on our MacBook, so i see it in action a lot).

and how about all those Ultrabook buyers today who are now forced to take Windows 8 on it even tho their machine (most of them) doesn't have a touchscreen to use the UI fully as intended?! how nice is that?

• Reply 127 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yeah, maybe like only the 40% of everybody that wants an ultra something laptop now. that sure ain't the 97% Windows hegemony of old - that really was nearly everybody.

and an even nicer ultra machine is an Apple laptop with Windows 7 loaded too, if you like/need it (my wife does for work on our MacBook, so i see it in action a lot).

and how about all those Ultrabook buyers today who are now forced to take Windows 8 on it even tho their machine (most of them) doesn't have a touchscreen to use the UI fully as intended?! how nice is that?

It was never true that 97% wanted Windows -- people just did not have a choice, so we live in a better world. Otherwise, in what way is a MacBook a good windows box? It is more expensive, does not have the right touchpad, and if you run both OSes on it via BootCamp, windows is known to be noticeably slower to boot than it does natively (how apple managed to screw this up, I have no idea). In emulation, (VMWare or Parallels), windows is VERY much slower. Since you can get an ultrabook for quite cheap, what's the point?

• Reply 128 of 147

Quote:

PS: Not to say that I agree with MS, but using a touchscreen on a non-tablet is truly retarded, since reaching across the keyboard is really inconvenient, so it may actually be the intended design to use the mouse on a laptop.

• Reply 129 of 147
    ericblr wrote: »
    Better late than never:-)

RIM nods in agreement, hopes for the best.
  • Reply 130 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

RIM nods in agreement, hopes for the best.

RIM is doing the right thing: they are not coming out with half-baked software (a la Microsoft), and want their BB10 to be really stable before release. It might, of course, be too late.

• Reply 131 of 147
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

It was never true that 97% wanted Windows -- people just did not have a choice, so we live in a better world. Otherwise, in what way is a MacBook a good windows box? It is more expensive, does not have the right touchpad, and if you run both OSes on it via BootCamp, windows is known to be noticeably slower to boot than it does natively (how apple managed to screw this up, I have no idea). In emulation, (VMWare or Parallels), windows is VERY much slower. Since you can get an ultrabook for quite cheap, what's the point?

the point of course is we need only one laptop to use both OS's. definitely cheaper than buying two laptops - one of each, his and hers. that's the point. you got a partner? do you share?

will not upgrade it to W8, but the cost would be minimal if needed to. all computers are very fast now, and she just needs the Windows applications her company uses, which are not processor hogs, plus tie into the company servers at work. she's not playing massive games. and when i do home video editing on it, the most processor heavy thing i do, i'm running on the Mac side of course.

• Reply 132 of 147

Quote:

the point of course is we need only one laptop to use both OS's. definitely cheaper than buying two laptops - one of each, his and hers. that's the point. you got a partner? do you share?

will not upgrade it to W8, but the cost would be minimal if needed to. all computers are very fast now, and she just needs the Windows applications her company uses, which are not processor hogs, plus tie into the company servers at work. she's not playing massive games. and when i do home video editing on it, the most processor heavy thing i do, i'm running on the Mac side of course.

Well, if it works for you, great! I could not imagine sharing my computer with anyone (including my wife), no matter what OS it ran, no more than I could imagine sharing my left ear...

• Reply 133 of 147
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

When I preordered the iPad 1 the first day it was available, I thought the iPad finally realized the promise of portable computing that laptops and netbooks failed at (this was before the MacBook Air). My iPad mini with its lightness, thinness, and keyboard-lessness (haha) takes this even farther, and with the bigger display, it's a different and sometimes better computing experience than my iPhone.

And for those of us who close to solely use the iPhone as a mobile computing device (I've got 3 whole minutes talk time on mine so far) it's also FAR cheaper a way to go even with LTE.

• Reply 134 of 147

I have an honest question for anyones who drool over the new Surface Pro. What make Surface Pro a superior tablet in terms of usefulness over any other prior Tablet PC attempt?

A decade of failed products has clearly showed no one wants to use windows apps on a small screen with a non-precise pointing devices. Microsoft needs to lets go it's windows legacy and start a new platforms from the ground up, anything else will looks like a dying OS on life support.

• Reply 135 of 147
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    On a positive note, I'm glad to see Microsoft competing instead of copying interface cues from Apple this time around--damn, it's hard to be 100% positive in regards to Microsoft.
  • Reply 136 of 147

RIM is doing the right thing: they are not coming out with half-baked software (a la Microsoft), and want their BB10 to be really stable before release.

No, they're making music videos about how you should wait for whatever they release if they ever release it instead of working on it.

• Reply 137 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That price point is astoundingly bad.

PC buyers have always been price sensitive, so Microsoft's pricing is a guaranteed stake in the heart of Surface.

• Reply 138 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

What's the battery life? 2 hrs?

4 to 5 hours, from what I've read.

• Reply 139 of 147
    zaren wrote: »
    4 to 5 hours, from what I've read.

So 2hrs.
  • Reply 140 of 147
    8002580025 Posts: 177member
    Wow, 900 bucks for a piece of crap from majorcrap. They definately have a another weiner there.