Top-selling iPhone 5 flanked by strong sales of legacy iPhone 4S & 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While the iPhone 5 has been the top selling handset at the three largest carriers in the U.S., Apple's legacy iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 handsets have also been strong performers this holiday shopping season.

Channel checks conducted by Michael Walkley of Canaccord Genuity found that sales of the iPhone 5 have been "very strong" at AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. He also indicated that international sales of Apple's latest smartphone have been positive for the company.

While the iPhone 5 is Apple's top selling model, as expected, Walkley's checks also found that sales of the legacy iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 models have also been strong. In particular, he discovered that the iPhone 4 ? which is available for free with a new two-year service contract ? was sold out at many stores.

Apple has also worked to catch up with demand for the iPhone 5, and inventory is said to be greatly improved, resolving earlier constraint issues. Apple's ability to meet demand comes as the company is set to launch the iPhone 5 in more than 50 new countries in the next few weeks, including China, South Korea, Brazil, Russia and Taiwan.

With those launches set to take place during the holiday quarter, Walkley sees Apple selling a total of 47.5 million iPhone units for the three -month frame. That would represent a 77 percent sequential unit increase in iPhone sales.

iPhone

By the end of the year, Apple will have launched the iPhone 5 in 100 countries with 240 carriers. Given the continued strong performances of the iPhone 4S, released in 2011 and iPhone 4, from 2010, Walkley believes this is only the beginning for the iPhone 5 in what he expects will be a "strong multi-year product cycle."

Canaccord Genuity has reiterated its "buy" recommendation for AAPL stock, with a price target of $800. Walkley believes strong sales of the iPhone?? Apple's highest margin product line ? will help the company achieve gross margins of 38.7 percent in the December quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37

BREAKING: DUH

More at 11.

• Reply 2 of 37
    With those launches set to take place during the holiday quarter, Walkley sees Apple selling a total of 47.5 million iPhone units for the three -month frame. That would represent a 77 percent sequential unit increase in iPhone sales.

Increase over last years' Q or last Q? Nah, doesn't matter, 47M is a helluva lot!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Apple is doomed!

• Reply 4 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 5 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Apple is doomed!™

That is the correct quote....image

• Reply 6 of 37

Meanwhile, "Samsung sales proven to be lies" image

And somehow they're still "winning" on most charts.

• Reply 7 of 37
    Shame suck so called sales number is shipment number
  • Reply 8 of 37

Hows does 2 gen old model (iPhone 4) being out of stock, indicate brisk sales... what if Apple only made a dozen?

That being said, people buying the older versions are missing out.  LTE makes my phone actually usable now

• Reply 9 of 37

Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

…what if Apple only made a dozen?

Obviously not the case.

LTE makes my phone actually usable now

And people said I was wrong to hate the idea of cellular data.

• Reply 10 of 37

No wonder the providers & shops keep pushing android phones in special deals & offers, they are probably desperate to clear their stocks to release the money tied up in them before they become more or less worthless. Same goes most of the other pads / tablets too. image

• Reply 11 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Meanwhile, "Samsung sales proven to be lies" :lol:

And somehow they're still "winning" on most charts.
    When the media has a meme they know how to push it. And right now they're pushing the Samsung Rocks! meme.

Scully was on CNBC this morning talking Apple and had nothing bad to say about it. Yet the chyron at the bottom of the screen read Scully: iPhone 5 and iPad mini are not breakthrough products. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 12 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I really hope the success of the 4S has more to do with the form factor than the price. Given that it is essentially a smaller version of the 5, running all but one major feature of iOS 6, with a slightly slower processor and lacking only true LTE, I'd like to see an update next year to the A6 and LTE radio, and ultimately focus resources to make it smaller, rather than bigger like the flagship 5, while setting out a clear product line. Drop the 4 next year, move the existing 4S down to the free phone, upgrade the current 4S where it is (4S+), introduce the iPhone 5S. In two years, maybe move the 4S+ down, redesign it making it smaller for the current #2 Spot (5 mini?), and introduce the iPhone 6 flagship. If you want the 4" screen, you pay a premium every year -- you don't just automatically get it for a discount by waiting a year. And really, how is this any different than the declining iPod product line? Different sizes for different needs.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I am not believing the iPhone 4 is sold out, i think it is the service providers forcing customers to other product when they come in and ask for the free phone, they tell them they have none in hopes they buy one that they actually have to pay for. The Service providers are not pushing apple products they are pushing everything else only when the person demand an Apple product do they give it to you.
  • Reply 14 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When the media has a meme they know how to push it. And right now they're pushing the Samsung Rocks! meme.

Scully was on CNBC this morning talking Apple and had nothing bad to say about it. Yet the chyron at the bottom of the screen read Scully: iPhone 5 and iPad mini are not breakthrough products. image

Sculley? Surely you're not talking about that guy that drove Apple into the ground. No one cares what he has to say, and should go back to selling sugar water.

Chris

• Reply 15 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    In all honesty, I'm blown away that Apple still sells the iPhone 4 for $450 tax unlocked. I mean, damn. It's almost a 3 year old phone that can't even run most flagship iOS6 features. But I guess they need to keep the 'perceived value' thing up.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    philboogie wrote: »

Increase over last years' Q or last Q? Nah, doesn't matter, 47M is a helluva lot!

I think "sequential unit increase" means the comparison is against the previous quarter.
    If they meant last year's corresponding quarter, they should have said "year over year unit increase" or "YOY unit increase".
  • Reply 17 of 37

An iPhone is an iPhone. 

There's a reason every iPhone that has ever existed has absolutely dominated Consumer Satisfaction reports. 

• Reply 18 of 37
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

Hows does 2 gen old model (iPhone 4) being out of stock, indicate brisk sales... what if Apple only made a dozen?

That being said, people buying the older versions are missing out.  LTE makes my phone actually usable now

Because they have daily shipments to each store and if the product is readily available, they obviously are selling more than they expected through the physical stores.  What matters is what the actual numbers are.  The 4S will probably sell damn near 100 Million units in it's lifetime.  Remember, the equivalent SII only sold about 28 Million units.  I suspect that Apple is going to have some major numbers once China Mobile gets signed on to sell Apple iPhones.  HUGE pent up demand there.

• Reply 19 of 37
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

In all honesty, I'm blown away that Apple still sells the iPhone 4 for $450 tax unlocked. I mean, ****. It's almost a 3 year old phone that can't even run most flagship iOS6 features. But I guess they need to keep the 'perceived value' thing up.

Some people want an inexpensive smartphone with the basic features and that one is a well made product.  Siri isn't something that is a mainstream feature that everyone has gotten used to and uses on a regular basis.  It's one of those "great demo" type features that people have to changed their behavior to get it become mainstream.  Some adopt it sooner than others. I personally, haven't adopted it in the use of my iPad to be a regular feature I use.  I've played around with Siri and Google's Voice search and have found both to be about 50% working.  Neither one works better than the other.

Voice recognition is STILL something that needs further development.  I would be interested to check out IBM's Watson if they wrote an iPhone/iPad app for us to use.

• Reply 20 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    slurpy wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'm blown away that Apple still sells the iPhone 4 for $450 tax unlocked. I mean, damn. It's almost a 3 year old phone that can't even run most flagship iOS6 features.
    I'm not trading my iPhone 4 in anytime soon. It still does the majority of what I need it to do as well as I need it to do it. Would I like a little faster Internet? Sure, but it's not my primary browsing device, I just use it to get quick information on the go. This is one of the reasons I hate the 5's 4-inch screen. Mobile phones should be getting smaller, not larger.

But I recognize other people have different needs. Just like not everybody needs the latest features or technology, especially when it means potentially entering into a new two-year contract. And I certainly don't see it as compromising the iPhone experience. It runs OS 6 extremely well. Sure you can't take panoramic photos, or use Siri, but that's what choice is about. I don't know anybody who relies on Siri, but if you want that then its available, for a price. FaceTime over cellular is a nice option too, but if you don't use it, what difference does it make?

Once you make a determination about whether you want LTE or not, most of the rest of the decisions are really about OS 6. You just look at this chart, make your choices and pay accordingly. And not everybody needs the 4S or 5 features. In fact I would say MOST everybody could live without them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5457