Apple's missing "Home on iPod" feature resurfaces in filing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail

... geeze. this thread is full of lies.

...and FireWire actually uses tiny flames to generate the greater data throughput compared to USB, with the added advantage of allowing power (thermacoupling) via the same port and which has been implicated in the Sony battery problems of the last few months.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

...and FireWire actually uses tiny flames to generate the greater data throughput compared to USB, with the added advantage of allowing power (thermacoupling) via the same port and which has been implicated in the Sony battery problems of the last few months.

At last someone has explained it clearly and in such a way I can understand (I was so confused). Tiny flames... of course! How else could the batteries ignite? Genius, pure genius.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

also right click is NOT disabled by default on the mightmouse.... geeze. this thread is full of lies.

Um, what? This was the case in my experience. When I first plugged it in, the preferences the right "button" was assigned to be the primary click, just like the left, making it just like a single button mouse.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

also right click is NOT disabled by default on the mightmouse

Yes, it is.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Definitely is, and I have a story about it: I went over to a friend's house to work on a history project, and that friend was a recent switcher, with a new Intel iMac, and was pretty pissed off that there was no right-click in Mac OS X. I enabled it for him in the Mighty Mouse section of the Mouse/Keyboard prefs and now he loves it. He had no idea where to enable it, so it must have been disabled since he started the computer up, thus that's the way they all ship by default.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    The reason they scrapped Home on iPod way back when was due to the fact that Hitachi's 1.8" disks was very slow and wasn't made to support the load such a feature would demand. It worked though, and I tried it during the beta, but it was very slow.

Some functionality remains today. If you attach a disk with user homes on, you are offered to log into those accounts too, besides local users. There's no straight forward way of syncing and moving home folders onto an external disk though.

In this day and age, Apple could probably offer Home on iCloud%u2026 They have all they need for that. One could probably even boot from iCloud since Netbooting works over HTTP. But it would be comparably slow, and probably prone to errors and data loss.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Wow thread back from the dead. I really wanted this to happen. Too bad. Still a possibility. Perhaps that could be the bridge with iOS and Mac?