Rumor: Google Maps for iOS to be released tonight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A report from All Things D claims that the much anticipated Google Maps dedicated iOS app will be released sometime Wednesday night which, if true, would bring the internet search giant's mapping service back to Apple devices for the first time since it was deprecated in iOS 6.

Incomplete Data
Google Maps data (left) versus same view in Apple's iOS Maps (right).


Citing people familiar with Google's efforts, All Things D said the company plans to roll out a dedicated app powered by its mapping service, though the publication failed to offer any further information.

Since Apple chose to cut ties with Google Maps in a move to its own proprietary solution, no real attempt has been made to bring the mapping service back to iOS. In October, a poorly built app based on Google's data was pulled from the App Store, but reviewers found the attempt to be woefully inadequate.

Google has been rumored to be working on a replacement and photos of the purported app have surfaced, but the company remains cagey about its intentions for iOS. Earlier in September, Google CEO Eric Schmidt dispelled rumors that claimed Apple was delaying the release of a standalone Google Maps app, saying that his company had "not done anything yet."

With iOS 6, Google also saw the removal of its YouTube app from the operating system's list of preinstalled software, though a replacement was issued soon after, suggesting a maps app may indeed be imminent.

Apple's mapping service has seen a fair amount of criticism, with users complaining of inaccurate location data, 3D Flyover image glitches and an overall lack of features they became accustomed to like Google Maps' Street View. On Monday, Australian police issued a statement to motorists driving to the city of Mildura, warning them not to use iOS Maps because the app had caused a number of travelers to become stranded in a remote area of a national park, which in turn prompted search and rescue operations.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Curious if it will have turn by turn navigation. If not- outside of street view for the few that need it, it will be worse.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    I never found a very good replacement for public transit data, but otherwise, meh
  • Reply 3 of 43
    If does not have turn by turn, not interested.
  • Reply 4 of 43


    This is a win-win for Apple.


     


    If Google Maps is very good then iOS now has a version of Google Maps that....


     


    - Doesn't cost Apple a single penny for all those hits accessing Google's Maps API (which Apple would have had to pay had they built their own App and accessed Google Maps API).


    - Apple doesn't have to hand over any user data at all to Google (which Google wanted) since Google now has to abide by the same rules all App developers do (and the same restrictions).


    - Makes Apple look good by doing the exact opposite what the haters/fandroids are hoping for - that Apple bans Google Maps so they can continue to call Apple "evil" and "restricted".


     


    In short, Apple gets the same type of Maps App that Android users have without having to do any work or pay any money.


     


     


     


    If Google Maps sucks....


     


    - Nobody can criticize Apple for dropping them to go their own way and try to come up with something better.


    - Nobody can blame Apple for how bad Maps is since they no longer write the App - Google does.


    - If turn-by-turn is missing then we know who is really responsible for leaving this out, and it isn't Apple.


     


    Apple then has an opportunity to "fix" Apple Maps to show it as a viable alternative to Google Maps.

  • Reply 5 of 43
    andysol wrote: »
    Curious if it will have turn by turn navigation. If not- outside of street view for the few that need it, it will be worse.

    maclancer wrote: »
    If does not have turn by turn, not interested.

    Funny how people forgot that the old Apple(Google) maps did NOT have turn-by-turn... so were the old maps really better? It depends on what you're looking for.

    The old map app didn't have navigation... but it had lots of data.

    I actually like the new Apple maps though... they've performed well for me so far. The built-in navigation works great... and it's pretty!

    But I will also download the new Google maps. They will have a lot more POIs... StreetView if you're into that... and exit numbers!
  • Reply 6 of 43
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member


    It would be hilarious if not a single person downloaded this app EVER.

  • Reply 7 of 43


    Not worth reporting. Tell us when it happens.

  • Reply 8 of 43


    I could not care less.  I don't need it.


    I'll stick with Apple Maps.  Thank you.

  • Reply 9 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,595member
    I could not care less.  I don't need it.
    I'll stick with Apple Maps.  Thank you.
    As will 95 % of iOS users. The fact that you can't select another map as system default will see to that.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member


    If I try this app and it leads me in the wrong direction even just once I'll be staging a 'broken down vehicle' theatrical stunt out the front of Google headquarters.


     


    Feel free to join me!


     


    image

     

  • Reply 11 of 43


    Can't use them myself, but would much rather use Apple Maps anyway.


     


    image






    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

    …I'll be staging a 'broken down vehicle' theatrical stunt out the front of Google headquarters.



     


    Sign says, "I used Google Maps and successfully made it here. Unfortunately, I wanted to go to the Apple Store."

  • Reply 12 of 43


    If it doesn't have turn-by-turn I don't think people will mind, it's the public transport integration that was the most useful, especially in places where there is no good equivalent.


     


    However if Google release a map app that's as fluent as their search app with voice recognition, vector based like on Android, brings back the public transport option etc and also throws in turn by turn, I'm in.

  • Reply 13 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    It would be hilarious if not a single person downloaded this app EVER.



     


    I'll download, test, no turn by turn = one star review and deletion.

  • Reply 14 of 43
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,571member
    Great!!

    Just another option for users. I don't see how this could be seen as a negative in any way.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    That's not the same view.. The Google view is zoomed out more. Jeez.  Can't they get the exact same view?

  • Reply 16 of 43


    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

    That's not the same view.. The Google view is zoomed out more. Jeez.  Can't they get the exact same view?


     


    The Apple view is zoomed out more.

  • Reply 17 of 43
    Never really used the Google map app for anything more than getting a quick lay of the land or checking traffic.

    GPS apps are cheap and do a much better job of navigating. My favorite one is Magellan.
  • Reply 18 of 43

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


    This is a win-win for Apple.


     


    If Google Maps is very good then iOS now has a version of Google Maps that....


     


    - Doesn't cost Apple a single penny for all those hits accessing Google's Maps API (which Apple would have had to pay had they built their own App and accessed Google Maps API).


    - Apple doesn't have to hand over any user data at all to Google (which Google wanted) since Google now has to abide by the same rules all App developers do (and the same restrictions).


    - Makes Apple look good by doing the exact opposite what the haters/fandroids are hoping for - that Apple bans Google Maps so they can continue to call Apple "evil" and "restricted".


     


    In short, Apple gets the same type of Maps App that Android users have without having to do any work or pay any money.


     


     


     


    If Google Maps sucks....


     


    - Nobody can criticize Apple for dropping them to go their own way and try to come up with something better.


    - Nobody can blame Apple for how bad Maps is since they no longer write the App - Google does.


    - If turn-by-turn is missing then we know who is really responsible for leaving this out, and it isn't Apple.


     


    Apple then has an opportunity to "fix" Apple Maps to show it as a viable alternative to Google Maps.



     


    Nice post.

  • Reply 19 of 43
    i concur, I use turn by turn several times a week. I hardly miss street view which I used maybe once a month.

    Images above dont take into account that more information becomes visible as you zoom in on Apples Map. This is a design choice that the media often flames as lack of data.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    gtr wrote: »
    If I try this app and it leads me in the wrong direction even just once I'll be staging a 'broken down vehicle' theatrical stunt out the front of Google headquarters.
     

    Marking an old dirt trail as a public road wasn't good enough for you?
Sign In or Register to comment.