Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 217
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Soo, a TV is going to go see its own obsolescence?
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If the display is large enough I think it makes perfect sense to move to an even wider display for the home. Blu-ray movies are certainly in the widescreen and for TV viewing you could have the Smart TV UI pop in from the side without affecting the size of the 16:9 display (if designed properly). I think 70 to 80" would be my minimum for that aspect ratio to be feasible.

Having some UI on the ends is an interesting idea, but 2.4:1 is a poor AR for anything other than 'Scope movies, and not all movies are 'Scope. There is nothing native for it, or even a hint of anyone supporting it natively. 16:9 is a very reasonable catch-all AR for many video formats, I don't see any reason to move away from it.

tylerk36 wrote: »
    Don't understand why Apple is delaying the release of it's Television? Maybe supply issues for parts. Any ways I feel that Apple needs to release it before all the features it holds are already incorporated into existing TV's.

Parts can be made anywhere by any number of parts makers.

If they're really doing a TV, they need comprehensive content deals, and I don't see any reason the content owners will go along with it.

Is that a medical camera?

boeyc15 wrote: »
    OLED tv?
    IMO I've come to the conclusion that apple should reinvent the cable box/apple tv/A/V switcher etc.. Don't see away to beat them for content control(but what do I know). So... Offer an integrate cable box(including a/v functions) to them.. Sony is missing the boat because they have all the A/V components... Except for the cable box.

OLED isn't a shape though.
  • Reply 42 of 217

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Whatever is different, it was probably stolen.

Steal Different™.

• Reply 43 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If they were ever privy to Apple's "television plans" (if there were any at the time) they may try to get the jump on Apple by introducing a 4K TV, for example. Frankly, from the looks of the glowing image under the sheet in their CES teaser ad, it looks like it could just be a much thinner set that appears to be attached to two metal rails on both sides. THIS is a major improvement?

Ahh... a 4K TV, is a possibility!

• Reply 44 of 217

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... a 4K TV, is a possibility!

But not "unprecedented". Gotta hold 'em to their own words. They'll never learn otherwise.

Now 4Kx4K would be unprecedented and a new shape. Stupid, but unprecedented.

• Reply 45 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Here ya' go:

...Samsung brings you a new way to experience TV!

Is that a medical camera?

It's a colonoscope for examining the inside of the small intestine...

...With AirPlay, the possibilities are endless...

• Reply 46 of 217

…colonoscope… …endless…

I'm probably the only one who found that funny.

• Reply 47 of 217

There has been a steadily growing buzz around apple tv for some time now and suddenly we have Intel and Samsung picking up the scent. Methinks it's all been a ploy by Tim Cook tricking everyone to jump on the 'reinventing the tv' bandwagon while Apple is in fact about to release some new game changing and groundbreaking product the likes of which will be obviously impossible to do without, once we see it.

• Reply 48 of 217
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Any idea on what is new? Thinner? Smaller bezel (although that doesn't really refer to shape)? I'm stumped.
    It could always fork Android. Imagine Samsung with their own vetted app store that also allows Google Play titles as the user sees fit. i thin that could be a powerful combination that could hurt every other vendor using Android.
    :lol:

Probably OLED TVs again.
  • Reply 49 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…colonoscope… …endless…

I'm probably the only one who found that funny.

http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/Kit-Kat-Bar-92/media/Cyanide and Happiness/colonoscopy.jpg.html?filters[term]=colonoscopy&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

• Reply 50 of 217

Lame! I will not buy a Samsung branded product. I know, I know Samsung supplies some of Apple's components...but not for long! :)

• Reply 51 of 217
    Super thin display, cause Apple loves thin. With all the 'guts' in the big pedestal that lifts up the screen so you don't have to hang it on the wall etc

And then Apple will release their new Apple TV box with built in Pico Projector. Now any wall can be your TV screen.
  • Reply 52 of 217

Quote:

Dick, that's just mean!  Also, very funny! :) Made my laugh, thx! :)

• Reply 53 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

Apple doesn't appear at the annual CES tradeshow, but earlier this month the company's CEO, Tim Cook, did fan the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.

Tim needs to let slip little comments such as,

"underwater communications will soon take off"

or

"I miss the days of drive-in movies. Wouldn't it be great if you could sit in your driveway and watch a movie through car headlights shining on the garage door? Have a party or invite the neighbors on a warm, summer night... Ooops, disregard that. I KNOW NOTHING!!!!"

LOL!   Great ideas!  Maybe you should send Tim a Telegram.

...Let's all go to the lobby...

• Reply 53 of 217
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

They have cameras with a flash the size of a large pill.

You swallow it and it takes a shot every few seconds or so and a computer wirelessly records the data.

• Reply 55 of 217
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe because they're not making one? *shrug*

They don't really need to rush; that won't happen.

The tech blogs will publish even minor hints at possible R&D projects as they generate page hits. It doesn't surprise me.

• Reply 56 of 217

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And then Apple will release their new Apple TV box with built in Pico Projector. Now any wall can be your TV screen.

• Reply 57 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Having some UI on the ends is an interesting idea, but 2.4:1 is a poor AR for anything other than 'Scope movies, and not all movies are 'Scope. There is nothing native for it, or even a hint of anyone supporting it natively. 16:9 is a very reasonable catch-all AR for many video formats, I don't see any reason to move away from it.

Neither do I, unless the display is huge, as in at least 70" or 80" as a minimum threshold to make it viable. What I mean is, at some point you don't gain much benefit from growing the display taller but can make remarkable gains in the UX by making it wider. So long as our eyes are placed next to each other a horizontal plane this will remain true.

For example, a 120" TV that is 16:9 is 5' tall and 8.75' wide. At 21:9 It's 4' tall but 9.20' wide. In a very unscientific and subjective test sitting on my couch now about 9' from the TV left to right scanning is more natural than up and down. I think it would be a better experience, just like in the movie theater.
  • Reply 59 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

They have cameras with a flash the size of a large pill.

You swallow it and it takes a shot every few seconds or so and a computer wirelessly records the data.

Here's routing from the new Google Maps app for iOS:

Good taste * [?] dictates not to upload TBT navigation instructions or Street View images.

* Too Late!

• Reply 60 of 217
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

the lower portion is for ads 24/7 regardless if you are watching anything on the TV. It's genius, i tell you!