Apple's Jan. 23 earnings conference call viewed as most important in 10 years

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That may be true, but I was just pointing out that since August 2012, Nokia has defeated Apple by 157%. I'm talking about their respective stocks of course.

At $4.70 today, wow what a 157% gain.

Toes stop laughing.

Isn't Forbes great at spreading all the doomed stuffs about Apple.

• Reply 42 of 99
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Oh stop the BMW Apple comparisons please. This has been beaten to death. Phones are not cars.

Don't you hate that.

iPhones are the premium of the smartphones just as BMWs are the premium of cars.

• Reply 43 of 99
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Don't you hate that.

iPhones are the premium of the smartphones just as BMWs are the premium of cars.

Phones and cars cannot be compared. The cheap car manufacturers cant compete with BMW. When you have the money to buy a BMW, you buy a BMW (or some other premium brand) but in phones, people end up buying non-Apple devices for the same price as iPhone

• Reply 44 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

At $4.70 today, wow what a 157% gain.

Toes stop laughing.

Isn't Forbes great at spreading all the doomed stuffs about Apple.

What difference does the price of the stock make? A gain is a gain. I don't care if a stock costs $5 or $500.

If somebody buys 100k of Nokia or 100k of Apple, and they both were to rise 10%, you'll end up with 10k profit in both scenarios.

I'm not claiming that Nokia is a great or strong company at the moment, and I don't plan on buying any Nokia stock. In case anybody were to misunderstand, I'm not comparing Apple VS Nokia as companies, merely their recent stock action, and Apple's has sucked for a while now.

• Reply 45 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I bet China is a big area of growth for BMW too, but I don't see them making a special "cheap" car for that market either. It would kind of defeat the purpose. The reason that people like Apple devices is that they can rely on a certain level of quality in everything they do (and that lends prestige to the brand, so people also buy the products because of this "prestige"). People are willing to pay extra for that guarantee, or the associated "brand prestige." If Apple started making cheap crap, they would lose this advantage. My sister had a Samsung Android phone, probably not one of the best ones, and she hated it so much that when I got her an iPhone for Christmas, she actually cried tears of joy. I think the best Samsung phones are probably pretty decent from what I can tell, but I doubt she'd get another Samsung anytime soon, just because her first experience with one was so bad. If her first Samsung was a Galaxy S3, maybe she'd be a repeat customer.

I live in china and I think and from what I see at work with the locals, you are on the money. Everyone here wants an Apple product, many are willing to spend the money for them even with the very high cost relative to salaries here.  [My parents both had the iPhone 3G, then they switched to androids on the advice of my brother (at the time they wanted to get back on verizon and there was no iPhone yet).  They hated them every day for two years, when they got new iPhones.  I asked them what the problem was, and they said the androids just didn't seem to make sense and they didn't know how to make them do stuff.]

• Reply 46 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Now, their last Sept quarter wasn't as big as they originally thought and that kind of hurt Apple, even though it was larger than the previous year's Sept quarter, it wasn't as big as Apple original first projected. ...

This is completely wrong and an oft repeated mistake. The Sept quarter was much higher than Apple's projection but it wasn't as high as the analysts were dreaming. It wasn't Apple that missed but the analysts. Apple's guidance was an EPS of $7.05 which ended up being $8.67. The average analyst had worked themselves up to around $8.81. They overshot a little.

This was a quarter yearning for major product upgrades, especially the iPhone, but they still grew some 27% from the previous year. The December quarter is packed with major upgrades and a new iPad product. It will be a very important quarter for the analysts who will learn that Apple is still growing very fast.

• Reply 47 of 99
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Facts do not matter when it comes to investing. Apple HAS TO HAVE exactly what the street wants it to have or the stock will drop. If you are making an investment based on facts you better pull your money and put it in a money market because Wall Street rarely runs on facts or logic.

Completely separate issue from China becoming Apple's #1 market. But, the day Apple starts running the company to please Wall St will be the day they begin to not matter any longer.

• Reply 48 of 99
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Don't you hate that.

The number of people who can afford the BMW is a mere fraction of those who can afford an iphone or other smartphone of a similar price point. Your logic is simply irrational, as only one of those is a mass market product.

• Reply 49 of 99
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Imo Q3, Q4 estimates are too high. Those implied a ipad refresh in q2 and an iphone refresh in q3. Not so sure we will get both.

Did you notice Q1 estimates are lower than last year, so the street is expecting a yoy decline. If you wonder why the stock as tank,this is it. So idiots here that thinks analyst have impossible to meet expectations, they are low balling this time...
  • Reply 50 of 99

The Fourth angel said to me « umrk, if you want to know what the future will be, just watch the 726 Episodes of the 30 Seasons of Star Trek’s five Series since the beginning (Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation, Star Trek : Voyager, Star Trek : Enterprise, Deep Space Nine). If you are attentive enough, you will know what all future Apple products will be (Combadge, iPad, holosuite, etc …). Things will happen exactly as described. However, do not try to match countries on the Earth with Star Trek’s characters (People from the Federation, Romulians, Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengis, Vulcans, Klingons, etc …) : all assumptions you may make will prove to be false !

Be also informed that we added Rule N°286 to the Ferengis « Rules of acquisition ». This new rule states “if you want to make money, just buy Apple Shares”. Be nevertheless aware that this rule applies to Ferengis only. If you are not sure to be one, do whatever you please, it’s your money after all !”

He also said « be careful with the guy who « conducts his business with a pointed stick » (as Frank Zappa describes him), I think you know who I am talking about”

• Reply 51 of 99
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Oh stop the BMW Apple comparisons please. This has been beaten to death. Phones are not cars.

Using cars as analogy for technology is like rubbernecking at a traffic accident. No one can stand when others do it... but we all do it. :p
  • Reply 52 of 99
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post. In case anybody were to misunderstand, I'm not comparing Apple VS Nokia as companies, merely their recent stock action, and Apple's has sucked for a while now.

Our definitions of "a while" are clearly a little different.  Nobody can predict short term moves in any stock, but over the long run, stocks will tend to perform like the underlying company did.  In the last 12 months Apple rose from 420 to 520, a HUGE gain that is nearly double the historical average for stocks.  There was an irrational bubble in the middle of the year that was given back at the end of the year.

If you (you being anyone reading this, not just Apple ][) get too stressed out or don't understand the long run goal of stock ownership, then the smart thing to do is not follow the ticker but every few months to check in on your companies.  Ups and downs will happen, and they won't seem to make sense if you LOVE the company (as so many people here do).  You treat it like your kid - everything the company does you spin in your head in the best light.  Arrested for possession of alcohol at age 17?  Must have been that "bad friend" of theirs that caused it.  Posted on these forums have the same problem.  I was there in 1999 when Dell was the darling of the market too - you have posters who are amateur investors, bought the stock of their favorite computer maker and it went up 100% for 2 straight years.   Then the tide started turning and the stock stagnated, and these people were in denial for the next 5 years!

DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR STOCK, PEOPLE.

The only way you will ever make 50% per year for more than 1 year is if you get LUCKY, not if you follow the millions who already know Apple is a great story.   While next year might be excellent (I think it will be) because it follows a year where AAPL underperformed Apple Inc.  But that won't happen for years on end.  If you expect it to, it's time to sell now and try to find a stock more your speed.  Find a nice $1 stock that no one has heard about and hope that itd doubles instead of going to zero.

• Reply 53 of 99
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cameronj wrote: »
    DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR STOCK, PEOPLE.

Good advice. Also, new sig.
  • Reply 54 of 99

operative word is guessed… 

• Reply 55 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Wow, it really fluctuated that much over the last year? You could have made a fortune if you'd guessed right.

operative word is guessed (although there is a retro flip phone movement in japan)

• Reply 56 of 99
    Hopefully this earnings report will break the outrageous funk we have been stuck in for the last few months. We need to start trading back on the fundamentals.
  • Reply 57 of 99

My bet is that Apple report the largest earnings in corporate history. Buy buy buy...

Bye.

• Reply 58 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I've seen several articles that say Apple should report the highest profits in corporate history this month..

• Reply 59 of 99
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Winsness View Post

Hopefully this earnings report will break the outrageous funk we have been stuck in for the last few months. We need to start trading back on the fundamentals.

There's no such thing as an "outrageous" funk that has only lasted for 6 months.  Nothing to do with a stock's movements in that amount of time can be described as outrageous.  That is especially true in this case.  I said it a few days ago - look at Apple's 5 year chart.  Draw a straight line from January 2009 to today and THEN tell me which part was outrageous - today, or 3 months ago.

• Reply 60 of 99
    imax1imax1 Posts: 17member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Please, no more about this mythical 'low cost iPhone'.

People were skeptical (and made similar disparaging comments) regarding the mythical 'iPad Mini'.