Apple's market cap dips below Exxon as stock selloff continues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

So your trash talk about Apple has nothing to do with the facts, you just want to talk down the price so you can make a few bucks. Good for you. Now we know what you are, we're just haggling on the amount. There's a word for people like you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My trash talk about Apple? image

There are few stronger defenders of Apple on this forum than me. Why would I want to talk down the price? The price is already crazy down, and it's not like I have shorted the stock.

You might have met your matchimage

• Reply 122 of 167
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

Yes, it is a cocky attitude. When Steve was asked about the Mac market share he said that people were choosing PCs over Macs only because they were confused. Many people know what they are getting with the Mac and choose not to buy one they are not confused. When Steve first returned to Apple he said that if anything was wrong it is our fault and that we should not place the blame on other people when things go wrong. What happened to that attitude? Later on he would always give that annoying Henry Ford quote about people not knowing that they wanted cars if you were to ask them about it. There is one problem with that analogy Steve, everyone has switched from horses to cars but hardly anyone has switched from PCs to Macs.

• Reply 123 of 167

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

When Steve was asked about the Mac market share he said that people were choosing PCs over Macs only because they were confused. 

Source?

Many people know what they are getting with the Mac and choose not to buy one they are not confused.

Regardless of what Jobs said, you can't say this without verifiable proof.

Later on he would always give that annoying Henry Ford quote about people not knowing that they wanted cars if you were to ask them about it.

I'm not surprised you're "annoyed" by that quote, since it pertains to innovation: a concept to which you're oblivious.

There is one problem with that analogy Steve, everyone has switched from horses to cars but hardly anyone has switched from PCs to Macs.

I don't suppose you know where the modern PC idea originated.

• Reply 124 of 167
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You might have met your matchimage

I kind of doubt that.image

Though I do find it kind of funny when from time to time, certain people who don't always get sarcasm and others who do not know me, accuse me of being some kind of Fandroid troll. That is probably the worst thing that anybody could ever accuse me of being.image

• Reply 125 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

You know, the great thing about Apple massive cash hoard is that more than any other company, the plummeting of stock price can only damage them to a certain extent. Their $140 Billion cash reserve is a buffer, in which even if their stock reaches $10 they have more than enough saved up to weather anything and continue operations for a very long time. I'm not saying this has any chance of happening, or that such a drop wouldn't be pretty disastrous- but not as disastrous as it would be if Apple didn't have a such a ridiculous amount of cash, which prevents their fate from being solely dictated by stock price, which in turn is dictated by nothing approaching rationality. 

• Reply 126 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Source?

I'm not surprised you're "annoyed" by that quote, since it pertains to innovation: a concept to which you're oblivious.

In the "confused" statement Steve was trying to get around the question by saying that the market share behind the PC was being caused by people in enterprise that were sometimes confused. Again the problem with this answer is that Apple lost the PC market in both the enterprise AND the consumer market so it was a dumb answer.

"Many people know what they are getting with the Mac and choose not to buy one they are not confused."

"Regardless of what Jobs said, you can't say this without verifiable proof."

The proof is that 97% of the world are not complete idiots and cheapskates like you imagine them to be. I can see several areas that PCs can do better then Macs and if I was in a different line of work I would have to go with a PC in some cases.

"I'm not surprised you're "annoyed" by that quote, since it pertains to innovation: a concept to which you're oblivious."

It's annoying because it can be wrong in many cases hence the reason for the Mac's 2% market share. I have worked in a creative field for the last 14 years and the longer I work in it the more I realize that good ideas can come from anywhere not just from you.

"I don't suppose you know where the modern PC idea originated."

I do know where it came from. The modern PC idea came from Xerox Parc in the 1970s. After Apple stole tons of ideas from Xerox they then took ideas from Linux, BeOS, and Windows. Why do you ask?

• Reply 127 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

Source?

In the "confused" statement Steve was trying to get around the question by saying that the market share behind the PC was being caused by people in enterprise that were sometimes confused. Again the problem with this answer is that Apple lost the PC market in both the enterprise market AND the consumer market.

?

"Many people know what they are getting with the Mac and choose not to buy one they are not confused."

"Regardless of what Jobs said, you can't say this without verifiable proof."

The proof is that 97% of the world are not complete idiots and cheapskates that you imagine them to be. I can see several areas that PCs can do better then Macs and if I was in a different line of work I would have to go with a PC in some cases.

"I'm not surprised you're "annoyed" by that quote, since it pertains to innovation: a concept to which you're oblivious."

It's annoying because it can be wrong in many cases hence the reason for the Mac's 2% market share. I have worked in a creative field for the last 14 years and the longer I work in it the more I realize that good ideas can come from anywhere not just from you.

"I don't suppose you know where the modern PC idea originated."

I do know where it came from. The modern PC idea came from Xerox Parc in the 1970s. After Apple stole tons of ideas from Xerox they then took ideas from Linux, BeOS, and Windows. Why do you ask?

• Reply 128 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Yes, it is a cocky attitude. When Steve was asked about the Mac market share he said that people were choosing PCs over Macs only because they were confused. Many people know what they are getting with the Mac and choose not to buy one they are not confused. When Steve first returned to Apple he said that if anything was wrong it is our fault and that we should not place the blame on other people when things go wrong. What happened to that attitude? Later on he would always give that annoying Henry Ford quote about people not knowing that they wanted cars if you were to ask them about it. There is one problem with that analogy Steve, everyone has switched from horses to cars but hardly anyone has switched from PCs to Macs.

People are choosing PC's over Macs because

1) they are used to the PC

2) software lockin

3) price

Apple cant change that overnight, its a generational change. In any case tablets will be 2-3 times the sales of PCs eventually.

• Reply 129 of 167

Why does AppleInsider have a troll working as their administrator?

• Reply 130 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

They didn't steal from `xerox, they licenced an idea and wrote the entire implementation. You sound like a troll, these are stanard anti-Apple rants, devoid of facts.

• Reply 131 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why does AppleInsider allow [B]pik80[/B] to continue posting trollish lies?
  • Reply 132 of 167

I just don't get it. Tallest Skil asks me a bunch of questions then when I take the time to answer them he responds by deleting my post! Who made this troll an administrator? You delete posts when someone says something inappropriate not when they give you a serious answer to your questions.

• Reply 133 of 167
    pik80 wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Tallest Skil asks me a bunch of questions then when I take the time to answer them he responds by deleting my post! Who made this troll an administrator? You delete posts when someone says something inappropriate not when they give you a serious answer to your questions.

Watch it, is my advice. You are likely a hairs' breadth away from getting banned.
  • Reply 134 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They didn't steal from `xerox, they licenced an idea and wrote the entire implementation. You sound like a troll, these are stanard anti-Apple rants, devoid of facts.

Whether they licensed it or not doesn't change the point. Either way the idea was not Apples. Job's point was that consumers are a bunch of dolts that can't come up with creative solutions to problems and yet the idea behind the PC wasn't even their idea! The stupidity of this is beyond comprehension. Whether it was stolen or licensed doesn't change the point of this argument.

• Reply 135 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Watch it, is my advice. You are likely a hairs' breadth away from getting banned.

Pass the popcorn...

• Reply 136 of 167

Stolen? WTF?

I notice that ignorant people often spout out the myth about Apple having "stolen" from Xerox. Apple didn't steal shit from Xerox. Xerox was granted pre-IPO stock from Apple, in exchange for their visits. Being able to purchase pre-IPO shares of AAPL sounds like a pretty damn good deal, especially in retrospect. 

• Reply 137 of 167

Quote:

Stolen? WTF?

I notice that ignorant people often spout out the myth about Apple having "stolen" from Xerox. Apple didn't steal shit from Xerox. Xerox was granted pre-IPO stock from Apple, in exchange for their visits. Being able to purchase pre-IPO shares of AAPL sounds like a pretty damn good deal, especially in retrospect. 

Isn't this where you're also supposed to mention the lawsuit that Xerox lost...

[just trying to help  image ]

• Reply 138 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Whether they licensed it or not doesn't change the point. Either way the idea was not Apples. Job's point was that consumers are a bunch of dolts that can't come up with creative solutions to problems and yet the idea behind the PC wasn't even their idea! The stupidity of this is beyond comprehension. Whether it was stolen or licensed doesn't change the point of this argument.

So the only time anyone can be given credit for creativity or innovation is if they come up with something while sitting in a cave, having had absolutely no influence from the outside world or anything that currently exists? Jobs/Apple shouldn't be given a shred of credit for taking whatever basic concepts Xerox had and improving it in useability and scope in a way that not even Xerox would have envisioned or imagined? Good luck finding a single original idea anywhere then. Oh, and jobs is right The average consumer ISN'T insightful, creative, intelligent, or knowledgeable enough to come up with the next step in technology- and the next step has never been dictated by consumer demands, but by a small amount of people like Steve Jobs taking huge risks on new ideas and implementations. The fact that you attack SJ over this and make him out to be some sort of monster or condascending asshole because of this basic fact is pretty despicable and telling. Almost everything Apple has ever done had been initially panned by consumers, the media, competitors, etc- right until it became the defacto standard. People are used to what already exist and are generally reluctant to any change. The iPad was met with an inital barrage of negativity- so was the iPod, and so was pretty much every single small and large step forward in the computer space initiated by Apple, such as removing optical disk drives, integrating the battery having all flash memory, etc etc. 

You're a troll, and subtelty is not one of your smart suits. Yes, whether something was licensed or stolen matters. Alot. 

• Reply 139 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Isn't this where you're also supposed to mention the lawsuit that Xerox lost...

[just trying to help  image ]

Thanks! image

From Wiki:

Much later, in the midst of the 1988–1994 Apple v. Microsoft lawsuit, in which Apple accused Microsoft of violating its copyright by appropriating the use of the "look and feel" of the Apple Macintosh GUI, Xerox also sued Apple on similar grounds. The Xerox lawsuit was dismissed because the presiding judge dismissed most of Xerox's complaints as being inappropriate for a variety of legal reasons.[7]

• Reply 140 of 167

Quote:

Stolen? WTF?

^^^^^ Read the post two posts up from your post ^^^^^^