Traffic from Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 continues to grow

Comments

• Reply 81 of 201
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

After they finish with Mac OSX 10.9 though, they have to go to Mac OSXI 11.0. Mac OSX 10.10 would just be the same as Mac OSX 10.1.

If there is one thing that proves Steve Jobs' taste was not infallible it's the "cat names" on OS X and the subsequent graphic design nightmares necessary for box art.  

Case in point: 

The sooner they get rid of this crap the better.  

Ask any serious artist or designer what's the tackiest possible pattern one could use in a design, or what pattern is so tacky that it almost personifies tackiness itself.  The answer will almost invariably be "animal prints" or "leopard spots."  This has been true for as long as I can recall (and that's a long time). 

The only thing worse, is the tech industries sad history of using "scary animal names" in general like Eagles, Bears, etc. which are supposed to be "Harsh" or "Xtreeme!" or "Intense" and indicate some kind of macho-manly whatever.  It's tasteless and tacky and it has never quite "fit" IMO with the whole Apple aesthetic.  

I think the recent desktop switch to space imagery is a good direction to go.  They should ditch the tacky kitty-cat crap altogether and go with space/galaxy type names.  

• Reply 82 of 201
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wishlist:

- Siri

- Maps App

- iBooks App

- Mac App Store: I would like it to show, in the app description, whether the app is sandboxed or not.

- Finder: I think this needs to be completely redone in the wake of iCloud. Instead of lists of folders and volumes and shortcuts down the left hand side it should just have a list of apps. When you click on an app it shows that App's space in iCloud. You can drag files between app spaces.

- Unix Man pages: several processes/daemons don't have a man page. I would like them to keep these up to date.

- Migrate any GC apps still in the OS to ARC and recompile the whole OS, every package, with the latest LLVM. They seem to be making nice code generation improvements with each release of LLVM.

- Classic App. Yes I know there is no chance of this, but so close to the 30th anniversary of the Mac it would be a nice homage. Not a full-on OS integrated thing like the old PowerPC Classic, but a cleanly separate app, maybe based on the open source MiniVmac, but with Apple devs spending a few months ironing out any bugs and providing a legal ROM and some apps.
  • Reply 83 of 201
    adam_apple wrote: »
    I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

After they finish with Mac OSX 10.9 though, they have to go to Mac OSXI 11.0. Mac OSX 10.10 would just be the same as Mac OSX 10.1.

Even BIGGER cats! NyanCat, LongCat, Cat Stevens, Katniss Everdeen, and LOLCat!
  • Reply 84 of 201
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    - Maps App

I'd like to finally see a web presence for maps.app.com instead of this redirecting to Google Maps when you share a location from an iDevice.
  • Reply 85 of 201

Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

…Cat Stevens…

"I'm searching using only my voice, my voice, my voice…

Copying and pasting using my voice, my voice, my voice…

And if I ever lose my mouth

All my teeth, north and south

Yes, if I ever lose my mouth

I won't have to talk…"

Wait a minute…

• Reply 86 of 201
    I like the way Apple has been going with iOS & OSX borrowing from each other. I hope this continues. However, I hope they do not merge completely into 1 single system. I think Apple has been pretty good about understanding that different devices will have different primary use cases and design must cater to the manner in which we relate to and interact with these different devices, in both physical ways and mental.

I like that gestures have slowly incorporated their way into OSX, and Apple has not made the mistake of going full touch on their desktops and laptop systems. These are devices that are more stationary, and also more keyboard centric. They are not devices I hold in my hand, thus lending to a more touch centric input method like in a phone or tablet. A touch desktop or laptop would be extremely tiresome after even a minute, reaching around. I suspect it would even be less ergonomic. The tilted screen may provide somewhat of a solution, however, here too while it would be less reaching, so less tiresome on the arms, the discomfort would shift to the neck,

I would like to see the 2 systems integrated to a point where the exact same apps can be interchangeable between the two, The same touch gestures you would use on an iPad or iPhone would also be used on the trackpad. is this possible? Programs as we know them, already have ability to take in input from keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and in some cases voice, so why not touch as well? Is this a matter of ARM SoS on mobile vs processors found on laptops and desktops?

• Reply 87 of 201
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Possibly. They could jump to 11 but they could also make 10.9 become 11.0, too. I think it really depends on the changes they make and they how they want to market it going forward.

The most logical answer is this release will be 10.9 and the following year they'll come on stage and explain they've ran out of numbers and therefore the new release will be 11.0

If they explain it as simply as that it will be perfectly understandable and acceptable.

• Reply 88 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

Just after Snow Leopard they missed out on this golden opportunity: http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/agarman/bco/cloudlep.htm

There's always Black Panther. For 11.0 and onwards I think they should move on to astronomical names.

• Reply 89 of 201
    ireland wrote: »
    The most logical answer is this release will be 10.9 and the following year they'll come on stage and explain they've ran out of numbers and therefore the new release will be 11.0

If they explain it as simply as that it will be perfectly understandable and acceptable.

The numbering of using n.10, n.11, etc is still logical but I agree that it's not the most likely outcome. I do think they'll marker it differently. There is no sense to say "we're calling this 11 because we don't want to use double digits for the secondary numbering scheme." I think their market the move away from 10 as being the major shift in the desktop OS. That said, why not just keep the well know brand of OS X which they recently renamed from Mac OS X?

PS: It's irrational to say you've run out of numbers. In fact, it's rational to say irrational numbers are numbers.
  • Reply 90 of 201

Quote:

PS: It's irrational to say you've run out of numbers. In fact, it's rational to say irrational numbers are numbers.

You think you're being clever, but when they say they've ran out of numbers after 10.9 so they're moving onto 11, everyone will understand what they mean and that will be that. Next slide.

I'm not saying they'll do that. I'm just saying it's something they could do. To me, it's something like Steve would say.

"So, with that said, today we're introducing OS 11 "Orion".

The Verge reports: "Apple introduces Orion"

• Reply 91 of 201

Anyone know/remember about when we started to hear rumors about what Mtn Lion would include, before the official announcement?

• Reply 92 of 201
  • Reply 93 of 201
    Anyone know/remember about when we started to hear rumors about what Mtn Lion would include, before the official announcement?

We didn't. It was quite a shocker because it was on their website as coming this Summer the same day the elite few had reviews of their experience.

edit: It was announced February 16th, 2012. I wouldn't be surprised to see something on February 13 or 14th this year.
  • Reply 94 of 201
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    macdevil wrote: »
    I suspect at some point in the not-too-distant future Apple will merge OSX and iOS into a single operating system. The two have been converging in features and design for years, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Because that's been working out so well with Windows 8.
  • Reply 95 of 201

Wishlist:

• Clean Up Widgets/Notifications/Startup Item(in top right bar):  Put all of this into one place 

• Clean Up Communications/Social - Message/Facetime/eMail/Facebook/Twitter etc:  Put all of this into one unified place.  This should go beyond notifications.  We can already integrate FB into iMessage but this integration needs to be more simple, clean and featured.  Tweets, FB and messages should be allowed to be streamed in one unified box, ad customizable as to what level of importance and such would appear.

• Somehow integrate all of that with iTunes.  (let each individual thing be optional though)  What's playing should be an option to post to FB or Twitter much like Spotify, either at individual level, or automated.  See other friends or even friends of Friends who play/like purchase same/similar music books movies etc. Perhaps create dynamic chat-room/board invites based upon play-counts purchases likes etc etc 

• Get rid of Skeuomorphism:  Esp in Calendar, Address book, Notes, and Reminder

• Integrate & open up Calendar Address book, notes and reminder better.  Reminders should be a part of Calendar where it belongs.  If reminders is part of Calendar, this will eliminate redundancy of alerts.  Every part of making an Event and/or Reminder should be far more integrated.  Currently we can add attendees from our address book, but "Location" should also be linkable to contact in address book, yelp locations, street addresses which link to a map location. etc.  Every part of a contact or an event should be linkable and integrated.

• Siri.  Also, make it available offline

• iCloud:  Make files as clean and integrated to iCloud, as media files are in iTunes. Put it into finder exactly how ITunes has a little cloud icon/button letting you know if it is in the cloud, and giving you the option to put it there.

• Integrate iOS devices, Airdrop, iCloud:  Have all of these work together.  iOS devices should be able to access Airdrop, so should iCloud.

• iTunes & App Store:  Tabs, and open in new tab. Save/bookmark pages.  Be able to sort wish list.  Automatically delete an item from wishlist when it is purchased.  Add wishlist to Mac App store.  Add Ratings to Apps in iTunes and in Mac App Store.  Have option for ratings on computer update to a rating in the App Stores - If I rate it on my computer in my library, I should have the option of this automatically updating to the stores, and also individually updating to the stores, manually.  Add a note field to all stores.  So that we can put notes or reminders or whatever on a wishlist item or an app etc etc.  Sometimes we download several free trial apps which do the same thing, and we are deciding which one to buy, so rating, notes, keywords, and color code would all be welcomed.  Be able to view other people's/friends wishlist, like Amazon and be able to gift to them.  This should even be linkable to Contacts and reminders or calendars. etc.

• Reply 96 of 201

We didn't. It was quite a shocker because it was on their website as coming this Summer the same day the elite few had reviews of their experience.

edit: It was announced February 16th, 2012. I wouldn't be surprised to see something on February 13 or 14th this year.

woohoo!  That just 2 weeks away!

• Reply 97 of 201

Originally Posted by ScrittoreSabino View Post

Get rid of Skeuomorphism:  Esp in Calendar, Address book, Notes, and Reminders

Nonsense.

I like a LOT of your other points, though.

• Reply 98 of 201
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Can't wait. Every OSX has been a big improvement over the previous, and the last couple versions have had pretty significant behind the hood changes, as well as many feature additions. ML is by far the best version of OSX yet, and I benefit from every single one of its new features on a daily basis, including all the iCloud app syncing, notification ctr, etc. I have a feeling 10.9 will bring about some great changes and refinements, and will be complemented by iOS7.
  • Reply 99 of 201
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Because that's been working out so well with Windows 8.

There's different definitions and implementations of merging. All Microsoft did was throw 2 completely separate OSes in a single package. It would be like Apple adding an "iOS" button into OSX, which will throw you into iOS mode. ie, it will never happen. What I DO see Apple doing is from the backend, unify some apis, and from the front end, unify some UI paradigms as well as apps, etc. An iMac will never run the iPhone version of iOS, but Apple can retain different versions of it's OS which all include differing levels of capability and flexibility. iOS is getting more powerful and flexible all the time, as is the hardware its running on. They dont need to look or function in an identical manner, its all about the branding and consistency in certain over arching paradigms. OSX is used in many, many professional industries for many applications- Apple knows this, and they're not about to get rid of that. Is it becoming less important to Apple in the grand scheme of things? Yes, it is, and that's ok. 

• Reply 100 of 201
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Going forward I am more concerned about the issue raised by John Siracusa in his review of ML:

"How many more changes can Objective-C bear? The amount of syntax piggybacking on the poor @character is already getting a bit out of hand. This is the price of C (and C++) compatibility, I suppose, but I still feel like this all has to come to a head eventually.

It's hard to argue with the results so far, however. Through hard work and extremely clever engineering, Apple's language and compiler team has been able to hold its own against the youngsters with their virtual machines and dynamic languages for the past seven years. I wouldn't bet against them keeping up for at least seven more."

If OSX is going to hit a wall then each year brings us closer to that wall. What are the plans to avoid this? And where is the needed new file system? 

see 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/17/#objective-c-enhancements

I have great respect for John Siracusa and always read his mammoth OS X reviews from cover to cover, but one thing I have consistently disagreed with him on is his position on ObjC. And I feel qualified to disagree as a professional software developer who has worked in Java, C# and ObjC for the last 16 years. 

I suspect somewhere in his development career he was exposed to the idea that VM-based languages were the future, and has never considered revising it. But even MS is distancing itself from .NET these days. Looking back, is it possible such languages were a fad started by Java? 

And some of the things that he sees as hacks and workarounds in ObjC, I see as actual solutions to problems better than the VM-based languages ever did it. Take memory management: the ideal is that the programmer should never have to bother about it, probably everyone except hard core old-school can agree on that. But is periodically searching through all allocated memory looking for blocks to free really any kind of ultimate solution? Is it even a good solution? The ObjC/ARC approach of compiling in hidden function calls to scan up the stack and see if you're finished with a variable seems like a far more elegant solution, not a hack or workaround while we all wait for the Utopia of a VM-based language.