1 in 4 employees want Apple iPad for work, 1 in 3 want iPhone, study finds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

The fact that you assume "everybody wants an iPhone" just shows how ignorant you really are 

• Reply 22 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljkin View Post

It is funny to me how Apple fanatics sound more and more like Republicans to me.  All they do is post bloated statistics and recycled facts and expect everybody else to follow. At the other end, the person seems more educated in the matter and spit out point by point facts on how this statistic is bloated, however.  Apple fans can't stand it when someone disagrees with them, leading them to play dirty by insulting the person or other products more. 

can't believe *this* is your first post. Go troll somewhere else.

• Reply 23 of 39
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

So Suface tablets are more desirable, but somehow that desire doesn't translate into purchases? 

• Reply 24 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

So Suface tablets are more desirable, but somehow that desire doesn't translate into purchases? 

probably results from surveys in and around Redmond. :)

• Reply 25 of 39
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljkin View Post

It is funny to me how Apple fanatics sound more and more like Republicans to me.  All they do is post bloated statistics and recycled facts and expect everybody else to follow. At the other end, the person seems more educated in the matter and spit out point by point facts on how this statistic is bloated, however.  Apple fans can't stand it when someone disagrees with them, leading them to play dirty by insulting the person or other products more. 

Nice first post.

• Reply 26 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

Write a business case, convince IT and business leadership that iPads are better/faster/cheaper and/or improve business efficiancy and profitability. If you can prove that iPads can mke more money and / or cost less to manage, then guess what? business will adapt! Businesses exist to make money, iPads are being used where they make sense, but the boring unsexy laptops and desktops also make business sense - that is the cold hard truth, you work to make your company money, not just to play with cool toys.

• Reply 27 of 39
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    macrulez wrote: »
    Way to miss a headline. 

In the outside world, the most newsworthy thing from the Forrester report is that Microsoft holds such a significant lead over Apple in tablet desirability. 

Who would have guessed?

Funny how every iOS fan pretends he/she hasn't noticed that.

Windows 8 tablets will do fine in enterprise. Not necessarily Surface Pro - it is more consumer than business oriented - but likes of Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    a_greer wrote: »
    Write a business case, convince IT and business leadership that iPads are better/faster/cheaper and/or improve business efficiancy and profitability. If you can prove that iPads can mke more money and / or cost less to manage, then guess what? business will adapt! Businesses exist to make money, iPads are being used where they make sense, but the boring unsexy laptops and desktops also make business sense - that is the cold hard truth, you work to make your company money, not just to play with cool toys.

Yes if they believe in fairy tales.

First of - and I know this will itch some people here, so I apologize in advance - you'd need fully featured MS Office on iPad for majority of business users. I'm not saying MS Office is making world a better place, for it is not. I am, however, saying that it is requirement right here, right now. It is like simple fact that you must have fluent command of English if you want to be reported for CNN, or SkyNews. Maybe in 100 years time requirement will be Esperanto, but here and now, you cannot overcome English language requirement.

And even if there is MS Office on iPad. I believe reasonable people here will agree with me - one 10" screen is simply not enough for businesses. Most our customers, us included, are pushing setups with 2x 19 - 22" screens, some even bigger displays. Fit them in 1x 10" screen, Retina or not. I cannot imagine people hunching behind tablets - be it iPad, Surface or any other - typing on small 85% size keyboards, and pretending they are more efficient there than on i5 desktop or laptop on dock, connected to two screens, full size keyboard, mouse. It is just... not in the same plane of existence.

Tablets can be, and will be - if already are not - great sidekicks, supplement devices that some people will be able to use when away from desk (some will still have to pick their laptops from docking stations and carry them around to fulfil their requirements). But then, there is this problem - if business is based on Windows ecosystem, and most are - they will have to cater for two different platforms if they decide to go for iOS or Android tablets, and struggle with number of obstacles and limitations in trying to link those two platforms in fully transparent way. They will end up in two different solutions for the same situation (like secured SSL-VPN remote access with USB tokens for PC/laptop, and something else for tablet) which will make whole infrastructure more complex to maintain, and more expensive.

Or, they can go for Windows 8 Pro tablet that will fit perfectly into their existing system, and not worry about remote access, CRM, SharePoint, or any other software and service they already have implemented into their IT infrastructure.

Tablet like ThinkPat Tablet 2 which costs like iPad with same storage option, has docking station with lan port, external display port, few USB ports. That can be part of same network, same domain, samo group policies applied, same management software installed. And all the apps person is using on his main machine.

I just cannot see how non-Windows tablets could strive in business environments, without huge changes happening on core infrastructure level. There will be interesting individual cases, of course... but mainstream? I really cannot see that happening, not any time soon.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Funny how every iOS fan pretends he/she hasn't noticed that.

Windows 8 tablets will do fine in enterprise. Not necessarily Surface Pro - it is more consumer than business oriented - but likes of Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2.

Hmm...at the Fortune 50 company I work at I never see tablets outside of iPads.  We use HP and Dell laptops, but I have yet to see someone in my office using a tablet that wasn't an iPad.

• Reply 30 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

just goes to show that as always, the department running Macs are where all the talented people are doing actual work.

All the other floors can use iOS toys and Windows PCs to do their "work"

A bit sad if you can say you can do your job on an iPad... it is like the Crayons of the business computer world.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233431/Doctors_prescribe_iPad_Mini_a_perfect_lab_coat_fit

• Reply 31 of 39

My boss asked me if I wanted an iPad for work like most other peeps, I said "can I have an alternative?" He said "whadya want?" I said "A new Strat".

He told me to foxtrot oscar -go figure...

• Reply 32 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

As I sit here with my brand new iPad bought for use on our factory shop floor....

• Reply 33 of 39
    glad other 3/4 are willing to work
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I don't see all good news here. "1 in 3 want an iPhone" tells me that the popularity is waning. I bet that number was "2 in 3" this time one or two years ago. Thoughts?
  • Reply 35 of 39

Originally Posted by egorans View Post

I don't see all good news here. "1 in 3 want an iPhone" tells me that the popularity is waning. I bet that number was "2 in 3" this time one or two years ago. Thoughts?

That betting in this regard only means something when you have evidence to support it. Do you have any evidence to support your theory that businesses and their employees wanted iPhones and iPads in greater numbers in the past than now?

• Reply 36 of 39

Some people should watch Education TV for a change:

Cheers

• Reply 37 of 39
    chriskychrisky Posts: 1member
    Hi,
    I'm disagree with a large part of you guys, the iPad invaded a lot of enterprise like SAP, they equip a large part of their salesman because the iPad have a lightweight, a important autonomy, and it revolutionizes the way of taking notes, following its projects, reading documents or photos.
    Personaly i use it every single day at work, if i can advice some good apps (Evernote, GoodReader, Beesy, Omnifocus)

Best,
    C.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And, conversely, the 1 out of 3 who say they would like a Microsoft Surface clearly haven't gotten a chance to try one yet.  If they did, the numbers would be lower :D

Everyone that tries a Surface will of course want one. They make work so much fun with those instant hip hop dance skills that come with every unit
  • Reply 39 of 39

iPad has lot of applications in Gaming, Messaging, Business, Sports Finance, Travel, Education, Movies, Music and many more. It depends on you which app you select and get enjoy yourself. Some of apps you can buy and then used and many of them are available on the websites there you can be download the apps. Many companies providing facility that introduce the apps for customer solution, that’s why it has very famous in the market. iPad application development companies provided software tool for your application that you can customized by it.....