HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI

Comments

• Reply 161 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah and I said at the time that was a mistake.  It was the wrong way to introduce the mini, even if they never mentioned the Nexus 7 by name.

Good.  I just wanted to check on the double standard, which it appears you don't have.

• Reply 162 of 232
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    1983 wrote: »
    468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.

They were going for 1080 resolution, not DPI. DPI is simply a result in fitting 1080 on screen that size.

Yes, probably not necessary. But good marketing point, should HTC ever improve their marketing gears.

It is good looking phone. I also think it looks distinctive.
  • Reply 163 of 232
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THT View Post

The time frames are quite close such that it's likely a coincidence. Either that, or there was a bit of industrial espionage going on. If the chamfer size end up being really close, I would actually give a little credence to industrial espionage. But who knows. Other than the straightening out of the sides and the chamfer, I think HTC One is its own unique device, with a direct lineage to the HTC One in 2012.

Got to wonder if HTC's designers had a bit of melt down when they saw the iPhone 5 design. Then another melt down after the Blackberry Z10 design was shown. Those two just basically took all the pop out of the 2013 HTC One design. Secrecy is indeed important, as well as a backup design.

They are now basically left with touted the dual/stereo speakers and the camera as headlining features. Mind that I love the multi-speaker and better low light performance camera designs, but initial impressions are hugely important, and that's the case of the device. Crazy.

I'm sure it is coincidence but to hear the HTC design guy talking about unibody aluminum and chamfered edges seems to be channeling Apple a bit too much.   And before any smart ass comments, yes I know Apple didn't invent aluminum or chamfers.

When I first saw the phone I really liked it but now that I've seen pictures of it I'm not crazy about the plastic band (which I assume is for the antennas).  For me the plastic cheapens it a bit.  And if its anything like the One X plastic it will be dirty in no time.  In fact the Verge did say in their hands on review that the white plastic bits were already starting to get dirty.

• Reply 164 of 232
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Good.  I just wanted to check on the double standard, which it appears you don't have.

It was over at MacRumors where I talked about it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474645

• Reply 165 of 232
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The performance gap is no longer what you seem to think it is.  We're not talking about Gingerbread here.  And considering this phone is made from the same two materials as the iPhone, but with arguably better speakers and image sensor, I don't think this is the phone to choose to rag on build quality.

It is probably the best built Android phone to date. They actually did a very smart thing with the image sensor. It's optimal for the vast majority of photos taken by a phone.
  • Reply 166 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

• 3.5" is perfect! We don't need anything larger because it's overkill; it will be difficult to use and won't fit in our pockets...

• We don't need more than 256MB of RAM; more RAM = more battery used and Apple is all about battery life...

• LTE is overkill and a battery waster 4G is good enough. Who needs LTE on a smartphone anyway...

I hope you jump ship and buy this phone to see how "awesome" that ppi will be for you, battery wise. Remember this is HTC with Sense UI on a quadcore phone with that ppi, and guess what, a 2300mAh battery. Nice. 

• Reply 167 of 232
    xtacee1990 wrote: »
    I hope you jump ship and buy this phone to see how "awesome" that ppi will be for you, battery wise. Remember this is HTC with Sense UI on a quadcore phone with that ppi, and guess what, a 2300mAh battery. Nice. 

He was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 168 of 232
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    So you've given up on them and are satisfied to let all 200+ million people per year use another OS.

Hmmm... not the way I'd do business and you can be damn sure not the way that Tim Cook does business either.

Like I said, you can't please everyone. IHaters are never going to buy an iPhone. I bet there will be a 5" iPhone but not as a replacement. I truly dont see a cheap new iPhone.

BMW doesn't make pickups or sub compact sedans. Tiffany's doesn't sell costume jewelry.
  • Reply 169 of 232

Quote:

The performance gap is no longer what you seem to think it is.  We're not talking about Gingerbread here.  And considering this phone is made from the same two materials as the iPhone, but with arguably better speakers and image sensor, I don't think this is the phone to choose to rag on build quality.

The performance gap was never as big as it is now.

• Reply 170 of 232
    The performance gap was never as big as it is now.

I don't even know how to respond to that.
  • Reply 171 of 232
    So... Apple is happy to see 200 million plus sales a year go to its competitors...

Thank you for the most stupid answer of the day.

Samsung reported that they are selling 190,000 Galaxy SIII every day. That's almost 18 million in a quarter. And then throw in some Galaxy Notes and the Galaxy SII as well.

BUT... Samsung sold 63 million smartphones total last quarter.

So that's 1/3 of Samsung's smartphones sold last quarter being flagship phones.

Or... 2/3 of their smartphones being total crap smartphones sold around the world.

In other words... most Android smartphones are NOT flagships... instead they are garbage budget phones.

Those are precisely the phones Apple doesn't want to sell.

So yeah... let 200 million garbage phones be sold by other companies.

Would Apple love to sell every smartphone in the world? Sure... but that's impossible. Much of the world are buying $80 smartphones... a market Apple has no desire to be in.
  • Reply 172 of 232

Remember, correcting a fool is folly onto itself. Let him wallow in his own ignorance.
  • Reply 173 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Consider performance as compared to the power usage. Apple's custom chips give it a distinct advantage. Other vendors could so this, like Samsung, but they would need to have 1) a profitable handset margin, 2) decent profits on that margin which means a higher-end device, and 3) enough unit sales to warrant the investment in custom chips.

The Galaxy S III is the first non-iPhone that fits this build, and I think that was a surprise to Samsung it was going to do so well.

Apple isn't using generalized chips for a market. They use reference designs to make an ideal chip for their needs. This is a huge advantage.
  • Reply 174 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Consider performance as compared to the power usage. Apple's custom chips give it a distinct advantage. Other vendors could so this, like Samsung, but they would need to have 1) a profitable handset margin, 2) decent profits on that margin which means a higher-end device, and 3) enough unit sales to warrant the investment in custom chips.

The Galaxy S III is the first non-iPhone that fits this build, and I think that was a surprise to Samsung it was going to do so well.

Apple isn't using generalized chips for a market. They use reference designs to make an ideal chip for their needs. This is a huge advantage.

Apple is way ahead of Android when it comes to performance per unit of power used, but I think pedro was referring to a pure performance gap, which is now small compared to where it was in Gingerbread and older versions.  I'm curious if you agree about the performance gap decrease.

• Reply 175 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple is way ahead of Android when it comes to performance per unit of power used, but I think pedro was referring to a pure performance gap, which is now small compared to where it was in Gingerbread and older versions.  I'm curious if you agree about the performance gap decrease.

I don't think Apple was ever ahead in the raw CPU tests. There will always be some vendor that wants to put a power sucking chip Ito a system or push out some new chip that couldn't possibly be ready in the quantity Apple needs.

You can look at LTE as a prime example of how Apple waiting while other vendors were claiming '4G' LTE but with dire results on the UX.

The only performance example I can think of in favour of Apple's HW is with the iPad (3) which wasn't about the CPU or GPU but that extensive memory controller which allowed those 3.1 million pixels to be displayed properly, which is one of my concerns with this HTC trying to push 2.1 million pixels.
  • Reply 176 of 232
    Anything that has the "Beats Audio" logo on it instantly makes it very difficult for me to take it seriously...
  • Reply 177 of 232

If you check anandtech's benchmarks, you will realize that CPU vs CPU, the dual 1.2 ghz a6 is as fast as the S3 QUAD. See? this never happened before, CPU vs CPU the S2 was much faster than the 4 and even the 4S.

But then you realize something... iOS is optimized and "native", no java BS emulation there, and this is why iPhones were always faster even with half the horse power of other phones.  Them, you see the next benchmarks. What do we get?

- We get that the iPhone absolutely murders any highend Android phone on every single benchmark, especially those related to REAL USE. (the motorola and others with the intel processor faster at one or 2 tests, but fail on everything else).

I'm talking about being twice as fast as the fastest android phone on some benchmarks. This never happened before. And then you have to think about native apps written FOR iOS. Android has 0 of that, the difference is huge.

But wait... You know that most animations are handled by the GPU. So you are going to brag about it. Bad choice. This is where the hammer goes down on trolls...

The iPhone 5 has 2.5x more powerful GPU than the most powerful android phone.

This on a thinner, lighter phone, with better screen camera and build quality, not to mention ecosystem.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

Again, the difference between phones (especially hardware: build quality, performance, camera, etc) was never as big as it is know. Of course, uninformed trolls and shills like to think apple is behind the curve. they are saying that since 2007 (phones), but after looking at facts.... Oh boy.

• Reply 178 of 232

Quote:

. What about now, you fool?

What will you vomit know?

this is acceptable around here? even the biggest apple fans/android haters surely can't think this is ok. 

• Reply 179 of 232
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'd take an HTC phone over Samsung phone anyway day- the build quality, not to mention their Android skin, is leagues better. Unfortunately none of that matters, because of HTC's shit marketing, which is why the company is still struggling.

There is a difference between build quality and build materials.

What you are arguing about is build materials, NOT build quality.

Samsung has excellent build quality. The build materials, on the other hand, could be debatable.

• Reply 180 of 232

FWIW - as an Android user for almost 2 years after iOS for 3 before that - I do not care about specs, benchmarks, etc. The Nexus 4 is really fast, no lag, etc. I chose Android b/c of the OS features, customizations, Google services, choice of core apps, no iTunes needed, a real file browser, not locked down apps, etc. Plus soon I can get an unlimited prepaid plan for about $50. And it works great with my Macs. So you can debate benchmarks, processors, etc but I feel the strength of Android is in the OS compared to iOS.