HTC One features 4.7" 1080p display, quad-core CPU, Android 4.1.2 with Sense 5 UI

Comments

• Reply 121 of 232
    ecpho wrote: »
    i thought this was a place for conversation - but i see it gets immature quickly here on AI - if you don't love everything apple does. (and as I said earlier - I've been using Macs for the last 15 years exclusively).

I have said nothing of the sort: you're twisting this into something else. And now you've quoted the number of years you've (allegedly) used Macs. That doesn't matter to me because I don't judge you based on some fealty to Apple.

You came here and you told people to try Android, because you like Android. And I'm telling you that people like iPhones, and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't ask to be 'saved' from iPhone. All the things that you perceive as iPhone's flaws, such as the home button, or boring UI, can also be perceived as strengths. But you won't hear any of that. And now you're caught up in reframing this discussion as "I'm a rational person who can appreciate Android, but I can't have 'conversation' about how awful iPhone is with all you 'immature' people unless I prove that I've used Macs for 15 years." That's the wrong way to look at this.
  • Reply 122 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have said nothing of the sort: you're twisting this into something else. And now you've quoted the number of years you've (allegedly) used Macs. That doesn't matter to me because I don't judge you based on some fealty to Apple.

You came here and you told people to try Android, because you like Android. And I'm telling you that people like iPhones, and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't ask to be 'saved' from iPhone. All the things that you perceive as iPhone's flaws, such as the home button, or boring UI, can also be perceived as strengths. But you won't hear any of that. And now you're caught up in reframing this discussion as "I'm a rational person who can appreciate Android, but I can't have 'conversation' about how awful iPhone is with all you 'immature' people unless I prove that I've used Macs for 15 years." That's the wrong way to look at this.

I mentioned my experience with Macs b/c I feel that if I'm here talking about Android (this is still a thread about a new Android phone on AI) I might be labeled as an apple hater/phandroid. I'm just a happy Mac user that uses Android. I jumped into this thread b/c I saw (and always see on this site) alot of anti-Android talk and I wondered (out loud) if anyone has actually used recent versions of Android. 

• Reply 123 of 232
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is there a specific HTC model the iPhone 5 reminds you of?  I don't think this new HTC phone is a complete iPhone 5 ripoff (some would argue it looks Iike the new Blackberry) but aluminum with what appears to be chamfered edges does seem to take cues from the 5.

I specifically stated the 2-tone design which can be seen on the one-s, the legend, the desire, the sensation.

like http://www.htcsensation.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HTC-Sensaiton-XL.jpg.

Where all other phones were mostly one color, HTC has done the 2-tone backs (and sometimes front) for some time. One reason I never liked them, and I also don't like it on the iPhone5.

The chamfered edges remind me more of the iPod/iPad, and the first artist impressions of the expected iPhone 5, which never came to light as the iPhone 5 has a flat back.But looking again the above url with the sensation XL, the new One actually looks a lot like that one.

• Reply 124 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I mentioned my experience with Macs b/c I feel that if I'm here talking about Android (this is still a thread about a new Android phone on AI) I might be labeled as an apple hater/phandroid. I'm just a happy Mac user that uses Android. I jumped into this thread b/c I saw (and always see on this site) alot of anti-Android talk and I wondered (out loud) if anyone has actually used recent versions of Android. 

Your initial comment was not about the merits of Android or why you prefer it. Instead you implied that anyone who uses it is a simpleton who doesn't understand tech and is stuck in 2007.

ecpho wrote:
    has anyone here who is putting down the Android UI or workflow ever used a recent Android device? Android is more interesting and capable than iOS which I feel is so simple so it can appeal to anyone but not necessarily the tech inclined. I had an iphone from launch until about a year and a half ago and I would never go back. I don't care about specs, but its nice to know there are options other than one phone. when I pick up my wife's iphone I feel like I'm transplanted right back to 2007- that home button has to go especially.

Whether your intention or not your comment screams concern troll.
  • Reply 125 of 232

I had to look up "concern troll" - haha, internet language.

I think there were quite alot of anti-Android comments before mine. and I don't think those posters used android. I've used both. 

• Reply 126 of 232
    I had to look up "concern troll" - haha, internet language.
    I think there were quite alot of anti-Android comments before mine. and I don't think those posters used android. I've used both. 

And the blatant anti-Android comments aren't respected either, at least by me.
  • Reply 127 of 232
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Then there were others that bought into the BOGO events.

They'd have likely bought that device anyway.

BOGO is not "get one free", since it requires signing TWO x 2-year long contracts just to get half price on each device.  BOGO works best for models that people have desired for a while.

If they just wanted cheap, they could get a "free" iPhone (or other phone) by itself with a 2-year contract.   Two of them would be GOGO... "get one free + get one free", a much better price than BOGO.

• Reply 128 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And the blatant anti-Android comments aren't respected either, at least by me.

actually you are right - my initial comments were alittle out of line. I would prefer not to have the platform bashing - especially by those who have never used what they are bashing. 

• Reply 129 of 232

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Not sure why people keep bringing up BOGO offers, when there are iPhones available for even less.

Not sure why you keep pretending two year old phones are the same as three month old flagships.

• Reply 130 of 232
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I specifically stated the 2-tone design which can be seen on the one-s, the legend, the desire, the sensation.

like http://www.htcsensation.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/HTC-Sensaiton-XL.jpg.

Where all other phones were mostly one color, HTC has done the 2-tone backs (and sometimes front) for some time. One reason I never liked them, and I also don't like it on the iPhone5.

The chamfered edges remind me more of the iPod/iPad, and the first artist impressions of the expected iPhone 5, which never came to light as the iPhone 5 has a flat back.But looking again the above url with the sensation XL, the new One actually looks a lot like that one.

Hmm..that doesn't really remind me of iPhone 5.  Anyway I'm not suggesting the HTC One is a complete ripoff of the iPhone 5 or Z10  but clearly reminds me of both.

• Reply 131 of 232
    thttht Posts: 5,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Personally, I think the 2013 HTC One looks more like the iPhone 5 than this Sensation. It's all in the corner radii. The ratio of corner radii to device size on the Sensation appear much bigger than the 2013 HTC One or iPhone 5.

Also, I disagree with you on the 2 tone backs and design language similarities between the Sensation and the 2013 HTC One. To me, the 2013 HTC One is just an aluminized version of the 2012 HTC One. I guess the micro-arc oxidization didn't really work out, but the basic shape between the two is really similar. Where the 2012 and 2013 HTC One differ, HTC made it more iPhone like. They straightened the sides instead of a super slight curve and made the corner radii more iPhone like. With the chamfer, that makes the front look like iPhone. Otherwise, the 2013 HTC One is really a 2012 HTC One with an aluminum casing, thinner, and plastic breaks for antenna design.

The 2 tone ornamental language in the Sensation is more a fashion, like the crazy plateaus in the Droid Incredible. I don't see it any resemblence of maintaining a 2-tone color design language in the 2013 HTC One. But it's neither here now there. It's no Samsung copying the 3G/3GS with it's plethora of Galaxy phones in 2010/2011 and even into 2012.

• Reply 132 of 232
    That's a gorgeous phone, but I'm a bit dubious about the camera being everything they say it is. I want to see some side by side comparison images before I make any judgements.

Love that screen though. This is what I've been wanting the iPhone to evolve into since the disappointment that was the 4S.

As for people complaining about no stated battery life, I'm not too worried about it seeing how I can't get through the day without plugging my 5 in at least twice, once in the car and again at the office.
    At least buying spare chargers for this would be a heck of a lot cheaper since it doesn't use proprietary plugs. Heck I've got a drawer full of USB cords.
  • Reply 133 of 232
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

htc is so stupid... They already had a better phone than the galaxy s3 (a much better phone). Hell, most OEMs have better phones than the s3... It's all about marketing and the fact that stupid people prefer the s3.

They are stupid for making a better device?

• Reply 134 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

But it still runs Android....

And quite honestly, is it really necessary to have a quad-core CPU in a phone? Seems like a battery eater to me. Even if Apple puts one in the next iPhone I won't oooo and ahhh over the stupid CPU. The current CPU is more than powerful enough. These guys really need to focus on the experience, not the actual hardware itself. This is what separates Apple from the rest.

Do you know it's a battery eater? As far as I know, quad core phones are not particularly known for battery problems.

• Reply 135 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Hey look it's an iPhone! Oh wait. Just a cheap knock off with crap apps.

It has better hardware than an iPhone, and many of the same apps (and some better ones). 

• Reply 136 of 232

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

468 ppi! Man is that overkill. A printed glossy magazine is 300 ppi - really no need for any more.

SInce the more ppi the more expensive the thing is to make, I can only guess that HTC actually tried it and saw it was better...

• Reply 137 of 232

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

…better device?

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

(and some better ones). 

Subjective? What's the criteria here?

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

As far as I know, quad core phones are not particularly known for battery problems.

That's the opposite of everything I've read, at least. 

• Reply 138 of 232
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THT View Post

Is there any evidence for this whatsoever? In a real live device?

Tegra 3 did this. Did Tegra 3 devices end up being the longest lasting devices in the market?

If it is really useful, why doesn't Intel do this in their mobile processors?

We will likely soon find out when Samsung put their new Exynos chips with A7 and A15 cores into one of their phones.  Arm claims that up to 70% energy savings will be possible.

Quote:

ARM's big.LITTLE Processing basically allows manufacturers to pair A7 and A15 ARM CPUs on a single platform. The A7 is responsible for less demanding background processing, while the A15 is used to deliver highest performance when required. Devices seamlessly select the right processor for the right task depending on the workload, thus extending battery life without compromising performance. big.LITTLE Processing is expected to offer up to 70 percent processor energy savings, compared to today's mainstream smartphones.

• Reply 139 of 232
    igriv wrote: »
    As far as I know, quad core phones are not particularly known for battery problems.

A battery problem is not the same as having significantly reduced battery life compared to any potential performance increases with a mobile OS.

I think it's up in the air whether Apple will even use a quad-core next time around. Eventually they will but to add it for it's own sake without consideration as to how it affects the battery life and performance for iOS is a mistake. They haven't jumped it foolishly like this yet and I don't think they'll start now. Other vendors have a long history of not caring as much about the UX.

igriv wrote: »
    SInce the more ppi the more expensive the thing is to make, I can only guess that HTC actually tried it and saw it was better...

That ignores the trying to win the Spec-ial Olympics in the CE market. They could have done it because they know it would get talked about which could turn into real consumer interest.
  • Reply 140 of 232

Seriously... this really troubles me. The amount of stupid people polluting forums (and actually buying phones) is staggering.

"Samsung needs competition". -- Seriously? Samsung represents the "trash" inside the android world. Only someone very very very stupid that can be easily manipulated buys galaxy S3. It's a fact, there's no discussion. Most highend phones are better than the s3 in EVERY SINGLE WAY, but because samsung spent 15 billions on advertising, I have to read and listen to these brainwashed idiots.

I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE THAT HAS A S3 TO TRY AND EXPLAIN WHY THEY BOUGHT THAT PHONE, knowing that better phones on every single metric are available. Seriously stupid fandroid sheeps, try it.

The previous ONE line was already better than the S3 (screen, performance, build quality, UI, cost... everything), and some people think that Samsung is the top dog because it makes the best android phones? Please, educate yourself.

Meanwhile, HTC is developing great devices like these recent models, but they won't become healthy again if they don't invest more on advertising. No one needs Samsung-levels of ads, but a nice serious ad that says how many phones are better than samsung phones (with facts, like: "our new phone is faster, has a better screen, better build quality, better UI, better design and is more powerful. Meanwhile, millions are still buying the galaxy S3. Are you as stupid as them?").