Apple's Cook: We'll move into new 'spaceship' campus site by 2016

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Why are you bashing a first time poster?  <span style="line-height:1.231;">Let's go back and look at one of</span>
    <strong style="line-height:1.231;">your</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">very first  posts.  Seems you were pretty critical of Apple, yourself.</span>

The amount of rudeness allowed around here is unbelievable.

Yes isn't it amazing that there are so many rude people around.

Maybe they can't stand idiots or people who are trying to be clever like the Samsung inspired ones.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    feynman wrote: »
    Apple already has a very healthy cafe. I know this from working there in 2001. I'm sure it's gotten even better. Best part? Free apples and ice tea!
    I see what you're saying. Can you tell me more about the cafe? I would love to know how healthy it really is. For instance, are the fruit & vegetables grown NON GMO in the cafe itself. Are they all organic? Does the cafe have their own customized worm factory which provides healthy soil for the plants, giving then optimum nutrition? Please it would be an honor to hear more from someone who has worked there in the past.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I imagine it will use a lot of renewable energy like wind and solar. They could continue to be on the cutting edge of renewable resources by having a green building. Very exciting!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    feynman wrote: »
    Nope but everyone gets a curved one!

New local business, making curved furniture!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    landon wrote: »
    Cool as always apple is a step above the rest!

Scamsung are working on a new office that's round and looks like a space ship but they planned this thirty years ago of course ... ;)
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

Few people on this planet can replace Jobs, obviously, but when is Cook actually going to step up and act like the CEO of the greatest technology company ever created, instead of "just" its most organized COO ever?  Every time Cook ends up saying something it's as if he is still mourning the loss (yes, an incredible bummer!) or trying to put us to sleep.  Jobs didn't hand Cook the job of driving a station wagon (MSFT), he handed him the keys to an M5.  The problem, or difference is, Cook seems to be concerned about speed limits, whereas Jobs made sure to ignore them.  C'mon Cook, step on the gas, you're driving a BMW and most of us are in your cheering section! No one cares about a Star Trek building, we care about the next product, what is it?

I know, under Jobs 14 years as CEO, he had a new game-chaning product every year: the imac, ipod, iphone, MBA, ipad, um...um...i guess i'm 9 short somewhere...

• Reply 27 of 44
    For some strange reason I can't help but think about the upcoming SIRIUS disclosure documentary when I look at the "flying saucer" Apple building:

http://siriusdisclosure.com

• Reply 28 of 44
    O = Over (like Apple's run as being innovative leader is Over)
  • Reply 29 of 44

Is Cook where he is today because of his innovation? Or operations expertise?  Jobs obviously felt that Cook was the best and most capable to carry on his intense and lofty visions, but not once have I heard Cook say anything technically impressive or visionary (can the guy write a line of code?).  Cook and crew cannot be credited for $700/share, no way, that was Jobs' pinnacle and salute to his Hall of Fame status with the likes of Da Vinci, Edison, Einstein, and if he were an athelete; Jordan/Magic/Bird/and Dr. J all rolled into one.

Ever since the intro of the iPhone5 AND iPad Mini, plus the maps fiasco, the stock has tanked 36.2% for a company still making 6X revenue of GOOG?  Whatever, the smart money is saying Cook is simply a "gray-suit" trying to perform as an innovating/growth type CEO?  And now it's time to build the Star-Ship-Enterprise just to fullfill Job's vision? That wasn't his vision.  His vision and execution was to become the sorcerer and enable the rest of us the same powers via hand and voice gestures brought to life by bits-n-bytes with beautiful interfaces. 

As a shareholder (my place in life, and not a bad one:-), I have two (now three, wait, four!) unanswerable questions at the moment: 1) What are the next products to further achieve the complete and ubiquitous integration of my digital world of communications (my car & my living room!), and when will they be out!, 2)  As a shareholder of a company, that means I own a tiny sliver of that company, so if AAPL, my company has $137B in cash, where is my $$$ as part owner, a sub-2% dividend (and I don't even agree with Einhorn, except his analogy that the board displays a great depression mentality)? Who is in charge of innovation, Cook or Ivey?  Why not state, transparently, the mission of AAPL post Jobs?  Right now, the AAPL execs are just a bunch of stray puppies looking for a new home, and Wall St. is laughing it's way to the bank.

That's not whining my friend, that's wondering if I am invested in the correct company for the future from this point on.  I am still long AAPL and would prefer to remain so.  While Job's was a master at both antagonizing Wall St. geeks, he was also a master at gaining absolute respect from any investor.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, cheers.

tjrsv

• Reply 30 of 44

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

…not once have I heard Cook say anything technically impressive or visionary (can the guy write a line of code?).

Because writing code is the way Steve Jobs innovated¡

Cook and crew cannot be credited for $700/share, no way, that was Jobs' pinnacle and salute to his Hall of Fame status with the likes of Da Vinci, Edison, Einstein, and if he were an athelete; Jordan/Magic/Bird/and Dr. J all rolled into one.

That's an affront to the work of the entire Apple executive team and an insult to Steve Jobs himself for refusing them the credit they deserve.

1) What are the next products to further achieve the complete and ubiquitous integration of my digital world of communications (my car & my living room!), and when will they be out!,

2)  As a shareholder of a company, that means I own a tiny sliver of that company, so if AAPL, my company has $137B in cash, where is my $$$ as part owner

1) "No comment; when we tell you." 

2) "Did you do any of the work to earn this money?"

Just a guess.

Who is in charge of innovation, Cook or Ivey?

It's always telling when people can't even spell Jonathan Ive's name.

Why not state, transparently, the mission of AAPL post Jobs?

Because Apple hasn't operated like that in its 37 year existence?

Right now, the AAPL execs are just a bunch of stray puppies looking for a new home, and Wall St. is laughing it's way to the bank.

So Wall Street is the one with $130 billion cash? I'm confused.

That's not whining my friend, that's wondering if I am invested in the correct company for the future from this point on.

So dump your Apple stock and be happy.

While Job's was a master at both antagonizing Wall St. geeks, he was also a master at gaining absolute respect from any investor.

But he's dead now, so that's the end of that, apparently?

• Reply 31 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    O = Over (like Apple's run as being innovative leader is Over)

You better put away that tool, your head is starting to resemble it. (Referring to your signature, of course.)
  • Reply 32 of 44
    tjrsv wrote: »
    Is Cook where he is today because of his innovation? Or operations expertise?  Jobs obviously felt that Cook was the best and most capable to carry on his intense and lofty visions, but not once have I heard Cook say anything technically impressive or visionary (can the guy write a line of code?)..

tjrsv

Because others say things like this, your frothy rant deserves some rebuttal.

You may remember that Jony Ive is still with the company, and he is a visionary, and he no doubt has a crew of fellow visionaries working with him.

Therfore, Tim Cook does not need to BE a visionary, though I happen to think he is in his own way, he only needs to make everything possible for the product guys to function. Right? Or do you imagine Tim Cook saying "no" to Ive over some new product or other?

Apple is the largest ship ever floated on the open seas. Steve Jobs could never have steered it like Tim Cook is doing. It's time for you Jobs puppies to stop shivering and whimpering without your daddy. It's a new era for Apple and things are going to be just fine. Steve actually set it up that way, for the big times ahead.
  • Reply 33 of 44

Ever since the intro of the iPhone5 AND iPad Mini, plus the maps fiasco, the stock has tanked 36.2% for a company still making 6X revenue of GOOG?  Whatever, the smart money is saying Cook is simply a "gray-suit" trying to perform as an innovating/growth type CEO?  And now it's time to build the Star-Ship-Enterprise just to fullfill Job's vision? That wasn't his vision.  His vision and execution was to become the sorcerer and enable the rest of us the same powers via hand and voice gestures brought to life by bits-n-bytes with beautiful interfaces. 

Maybe you should ask WS that: Record sales of iPhone and iPads.

As for new HQ, it was being design/planned during Jobs tenure. To wait just because is stupid. Labor costs rise.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    The last real innovation from Apple came in 2007 with the iPhone and iOS. Sure the 2010 IPad was rad but it was basically an enlarged iPhone. So now 6 years later the big talk is an iPhone watch accessory which could be cool, but will be nothing more than a expense and optional add-on of the original 2007 iPhone. Apple had six amazing and innovative years between 2001-2007 and while the last six years 2007-2013 have been really profitable for Apple, they have been no where near as innovative.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    The last real innovation from Apple came in 2007 with the iPhone and iOS. Sure the 2010 IPad was rad but it was basically an enlarged iPhone. So now 6 years later the big talk is an iPhone watch accessory which could be cool, but will be nothing more than a expense and optional add-on of the original 2007 iPhone. Apple had six amazing and innovative years between 2001-2007 and while the last six years 2007-2013 have been really profitable for Apple, they have been no where near as innovative.

Well, this calls for another lecture.

If you are still seeing the touchscreen tablet as "basically an enlarged iPhone," even after the entire personal computer industry has again been transformed, this time right before your unseeing eyes, then maybe you should go back and read your Gutenberg Galaxy again.

The iPhone, we now know, was a step on the way to the touchscreen tablet computer. (You have it backwards.) The wrist computer will be a further development of the touchscreen computer, merged with voice control. Eventually there will be gesture and eye contol and who knows what else from there.

Apple started the graphical interface with hand/mouse control, as soon as Jobs and the people around him saw the PARC machine's invitation: let the mind be amplified by the machine, and let the machine be controlled by natural human input, rather than typed lines of code.

All of Apple's "innovation" events that you are keeping score on are actually part of one visionary process unfolding before our eyes, if we have eyes to see with. Or "look" at it this way: they are all part of one tactile process: your fingers, touch and gestures now produce books, movies, paintings, messages to posterity.

And your voice: Gutenberg's framed pages of metal type can now be dictated into existence. Apple understands this interface business from the very beginning as well or better than anybody, and what they are doing now is what they've always been doing—making the tools of communication easier and more pleasant to use. And you're keeping yearly tabs on how they're doing, transforming the way humans communicate?

Someone said that in the Internet age people's knowledge has become a mile wide and a millimeter deep. Like your signature says, you have become like your tools. The cure is to think the way McLuhan did, across ages of technology, the way geologists think of the Earth. Then you see patterns, not momentary problems with "innovation."

The last six years have been about the unwrapping of the nervous system of the machine and laying it bare on the glass for your fingers to manipulate it directly. Typesetting, the keyboard, the machine typewriter, are now symbols on glass that the capacitive field in your fingers makes into the computer's digits. The iPad is equal to the GUI itself in transformational power. "No where near as innovative"—hah!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

My guess: You must think Google Glass is innovative? So innovative people at Apple can not think of something like that?

• Reply 37 of 44
    flaneur wrote: »
    Well, this calls for another lecture.

If you are still seeing the touchscreen tablet as "basically an enlarged iPhone," even after the entire personal computer industry has again been transformed, this time right before your unseeing eyes, then maybe you should go back and read your Gutenberg Galaxy again.

The iPhone, we now know, was a step on the way to the touchscreen tablet computer. (You have it backwards.) The wrist computer will be a further development of the touchscreen computer, merged with voice control. Eventually there will be gesture and eye contol and who knows what else from there.

Apple started the graphical interface with hand/mouse control, as soon as Jobs and the people around him saw the PARC machine's invitation: let the mind be amplified by the machine, and let the machine be controlled by natural human input, rather than typed lines of code.

All of Apple's "innovation" events that you are keeping score on are actually part of one visionary process unfolding before our eyes, if we have eyes to see with. Or "look" at it this way: they are all part of one tactile process: your fingers, touch and gestures now produce books, movies, paintings, messages to posterity.

And your voice: Gutenberg's framed pages of metal type can now be dictated into existence. Apple understands this interface business from the very beginning as well or better than anybody, and what they are doing now is what they've always been doing—making the tools of communication easier and more pleasant to use. And you're keeping yearly tabs on how they're doing, transforming the way humans communicate?

Someone said that in the Internet age people's knowledge has become a mile wide and a millimeter deep. Like your signature says, you have become like your tools. The cure is to think the way McLuhan did, across ages of technology, the way geologists think of the Earth. Then you see patterns, not momentary problems with "innovation."

The last six years have been about the unwrapping of the nervous system of the machine and laying it bare on the glass for your fingers to manipulate it directly. Typesetting, the keyboard, the machine typewriter, are now symbols on glass that the capacitive field in your fingers makes into the computer's digits. The iPad is equal to the GUI itself in transformational power. "No where near as innovative"—hah!

Wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading that.
  • Reply 38 of 44

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The last real innovation from Apple came in 2007 with the iPhone and iOS. Sure the 2010 IPad was rad but it was basically an enlarged iPhone.

I'm glad that so many are so willing to discredit everything they'll ever say.

We need a way to mark user accounts that have done this so that people can see what nonsense they spew… A color would be great, but good luck getting something like that implemented… If signatures could be locked, a simple link to wherever they did it would work, but they… ah, wait… 

• Reply 39 of 44

Well, I certainly agree with you on most fronts and enjoy reading your posts.  No one can replace Jobs, or expects that of Cook, or Ive.  But they do need to step on it and learn how to drive this sports car named AAPL as well as Jobs did, both in product innovation, as well as financial/shareholder innovation.  Viewing AAPL as a ship only spells Titanic to me, and WS seems to be viewing them as the same at the moment. Believe me, I want them to succeed immensely, as I love the integrated ecosystem. 

• Reply 40 of 44
    Well, I certainly agree with you on most fronts and enjoy reading your posts.  No one can replace Jobs, or expects that of Cook, or Ive.  But they do need to step on it and learn how to drive this sports car named AAPL as well as Jobs did, both in product innovation, as well as financial/shareholder innovation.  Viewing AAPL as a ship only spells Titanic to me, and WS seems to be viewing them as the same at the moment. Believe me, I want them to succeed immensely, as I love the integrated ecosystem. 

Yup Jobs was the only one innovating. Jony was just a puppet. I remember all the new products Jobs created. He must have had one every year in his last tour as CEO. /s

I rather view Apple as a ship than a sportscar. Sports cars have a tendency to crash if driven too fast.