Swatch CEO doesn't believe Apple's rumored 'iWatch' is next tech revolution

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    An LG flexible display? Seems like there is a race with Samsung to be the first to release such a device.

Apple doesn't race to release tech for the sake of being first. They go after markets where customers like a solid user experience. You can look at the smartphone and tablet markets to see how Apple dominated in record time with little advertising costs despite being years or decades late to the market. Not they've never advertised that their devices use Gorilla Glass but we know they do.

I suspect it will be the same for the Ive Strong bracelet*. Let Samsung race to market with an incomplete product whose only goal is to advertise a new tech.

* I really thought Ive Strong would have gained some traction.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I thought Apple had an exclusive license to use Liquidmetal?  Or is that just within the phone market, or just for one particular alloy?

Otherwise, meh, he's hubristic, but who wouldn't be.  Easy with hindsight to name all those who fell foul in the past, but there's still no iWatch for sale and until there is, he's talking some sense; display size does seem to be a problem for any advanced functionality.  Maybe Apple will figure it out, but until they do it's just rumours in the wind.

• Reply 23 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

His basic mistake of course is in the assumption that a wrist based device would "replace" an iPhone, when pretty much no one has suggested it could. 

IMO all the swirling confusion about what this device may or may not be can be removed if you simply stop using the word "watch," and replace it with "bracelet." No one wants to do that of course because bracelet is a "girls word."  There seems to be no other word for wrist-based device of sufficient manliness than "watch."

• Reply 24 of 111
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

*Clueless CEO SIREN*

• Reply 25 of 111

Here's the thing....With the new Gorilla Glass that contours, maybe the watch will be more like a Dick Tracy watch. Not a boxy watch like the new Pebble. But one that is longer that goes up the arm. If you took just the screen of the iPhone 4, the watch wouldn't look clunky. I'd love to have my iphone on my wrist instead of in my pocket. And I believe that the new Gorilla Glass could make that happen.

• Reply 26 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I thought Apple had an exclusive license to use Liquidmetal?  Or is that just within the phone market, or just for one particular alloy? ...

When it was announced, it was said that Apple has a world-wide exclusive right on using LiquidMetal (the technology not a particular alloy) in "mobile devices."  I guess the key is whether a watch counts as a watch or a "mobile device."  

• Reply 27 of 111
    tjrsvtjrsv Posts: 35member
    AAPL touting a watch as their next "innovative" product will be a flop. Watches are jewelry/non-essential.

What is essential is my iTV operating as my "all-things" communication & entertainment hub integrated with my vehicle interface, business terminal, etc.!!!

Who cares about a watch you can barely see? Swatch's CEO is correct on this one.

It will be interesting to watch AAPL from here. And all of their "several" interesting products come out...so far only product modification have shown up...nothing anyone, nor I "must"have at the moment. Certainly not a watch!
  • Reply 28 of 111
    gazoobee wrote: »
    IMO all the swirling confusion about what this device may or may not be can be removed if you simply stop using the word "watch," and replace it with "bracelet." No one wants to do that of course because bracelet is a "girls word."  There seems to be no other word for wrist-based device of sufficient manliness than "watch."

What about band, loop, cord, or wrap?

gazoobee wrote: »
    When it was announced, it was said that Apple has a world-wide exclusive right on using LiquidMetal (the technology not a particular alloy) in "mobile devices."  I guess the key is whether a watch counts as a watch or a "mobile device."  
    I would think so unless there is specific wording that would exclude that from their meaning of mobile device.
  • Reply 29 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Manelet? Brolet? :)

• Reply 30 of 111
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

IMO all the swirling confusion about what this device may or may not be can be removed if you simply stop using the word "watch," and replace it with "bracelet." No one wants to do that of course because bracelet is a "girls word."  

There seems to be no other word for wrist-based device of sufficient manliness than "watch."

Wrist guard?   Wrist band?  

Ah, I know.  How about something warrior-like:  the  "Amulet of Power!"

• Reply 31 of 111
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,658member

I think calling it a watch at all is limiting one's ability to understand how game-changing any wrist-worn apple device could be.

I don't pretend to know how great thing non-existent device will be, but even the anticipated iPad blew away everyone's expectations of capability, useability, and sales, just like the iPhone did. 

Apple is not thinking watch.  It's thinking "What can a device worn on your wrist do to change your life?" and how to implement those things in a package that is amazing to hold, wear, and use (and I wish I could do that myself).

• Reply 32 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I actually can't see success for iWatch if it doesn't replace the cell phone in your pocket. There is little point to the device otherwise.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I actually can't see success for iWatch if it doesn't replace the cell phone in your pocket. There is little point to the device otherwise.

I have a very hard time convincing myself that people will spend more money on a wrist band device which syncs to their iPhone. I am sure there is a market but I just don't see it as significant. I am looking forward to seeing self important geeks parading around with a bluetooth ear piece, a wrist band, and a set of Glass 'glasses' to interact with the iPhone in their pocket.

I keep asking people to convince me but no one has succeeded yet. Again, Apple is all about simplifying 'the experience'... how will me wearing a wristband in addition to carrying my iPhone help?

• Reply 34 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Motorola's Sanjay Jha in 2007: "But is Apple ready for us?"

• Reply 35 of 111
    hcehce Posts: 19member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

i haven't heard about Swatch in years.  Those guys are still around?

Actually, the Swatch Group is the largest watch company in the world - by a considerable margin. Even though the company is named after a cheap plastic quartz watch brand, most of their business is in high-end mechanical watches. Even their mid-priced brands like Tissot are increasingly moving to mechanical watches. 

Even if the iWatch comes out and sets the world on fire the Swatch Group is not going to be affected that much. The biggest impact of the iWatch is going to be on the mid-priced quartz watch brands like Seiko, Citizen, Fossil etc.

- HCE

• Reply 36 of 111
    hcehce Posts: 19member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Motorola's Sanjay Jha in 2007: "But is Apple ready for us?"

That was Ed Zander. Sanjay Jha became CEO of Motorola in 2008.

- HCE

• Reply 37 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »

I would agree that it might well work as a standalone phone (or wearalone phone), and also be able to act as an accessory to the thing in your pocket, if you can afford to carry both.

Whatever they do, though, I "see success," because these guys now really know what they're doing with hardware.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    hce wrote: »
    Actually, the Swatch Group is the largest watch company in the world - by a considerable margin. Even though the company is named after a cheap plastic quartz watch brand, most of their business is in high-end mechanical watches. Even their mid-priced brands like Tissot are increasingly moving to mechanical watches. 

Even if the iWatch comes out and sets the world on fire the Swatch Group is not going to be affected that much. The biggest impact of the iWatch is going to be on the mid-priced quartz watch brands like Seiko, Citizen, Fossil etc.

- HCE

Thanks for the good info but I disagree about the potential longterm affects of a wrist computer on the whole of the watch market. Convenience is a powerful opponent. If Swatch thinks they can keep doing what they've always done without adopting to culture and technological changes they could find themselves in the same position as many others whose names I've never heard of.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    clodasclodas Posts: 3member

I agree with some folks here.  what is key is to not call it a watch.  iBand, iWrist, what have you, but not iWatch.  People with luxury watches would never give them up for an iWatch.  Apple needs to go after the Nike Band, Jawbone, Fitbit market and kill it with a band that does all and better, plus more.  Something that can be worn next to a luxury watch.

• Reply 40 of 111
    Second Steve ballmer ?