Swatch CEO doesn't believe Apple's rumored 'iWatch' is next tech revolution

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While high end watch companies, for the most part, wouldn't be affected by an Apple product, Swatch, and other less expensive watch manufacturing companies would be, and he knows it.

Well, they own pretty much all of the high end watch brands in the world.

Not to mention Swatch doesn't play nice with others; especially if you're an American watchmaker trying to fix their stuff image

http://tinyurl.com/a4m7nu7

• Reply 42 of 111
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Sounds EXACTLY like what people said before the iPhone was launched - until everyone and their dog started copying it, of course... 

• Reply 43 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I doubt Apple would try to replace the iPhone with a watch. Instead, I would image the watch would interact with the phone through Bluetooth or wi-fi. For instance, showing notifications, and perhaps being able to answer or place a call via the watch. It would also be cool to be able to control the music features through a watch. Controlling the phones settings through a watch, might be interesting as well.

The watch would be similar to Google's Glass in that it is a supplement or attachment to a phone.

So now there would two devices we have to keep on our person, keep track of and keep charged?  That would be a step backwards.

• Reply 44 of 111
    Swatch better prepare their lawyers for when Samsung copies the iWatch with their S-watch.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    The only thing I agree with from Hayek's comments is that people who wear watches often like to change them frequently. I may wear three or four different watches each week, so it's unlikely that an Apple watch would become the only watch I wear. However, if it had a heart rate monitor built in or other features that made it useful for working out and doing cardio, it could become my "daily wear" for exercise, if it were well-designed, sturdy and didn't get in the way.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    hcehce Posts: 19member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thanks for the good info but I disagree about the potential longterm affects of a wrist computer on the whole of the watch market. Convenience is a powerful opponent. If Swatch thinks they can keep doing what they've always done without adopting to culture and technological changes they could find themselves in the same position as many others whose names I've never heard of.

Unfortunately that logic does not apply to watches. If it did, quartz watches would have overwhelmed mechanical watches a long time ago. Compared to quartz watch, a mechanical watch is fragile, unreliable and inaccurate. Still, people are willing to pay huge sums of money for them. If convenience trumped everything, then why would people pay $5K-$10K for a Rolex or Omega (which, BTW is owned by the Swatch group) instead of buying a Seiko that does the job far better and costs a couple of hundred?

Of course, there tons more quartz watches sold than mechanical watches but the money is in mechanical watches. The Swiss make more money from watches than anyone and the vast majority of that money is from mechanical watches. Far from "adapting to culture and technological changes", the Swiss are moving away from high-tech - have been for the last 30 years! 

The selling point of a mechanical watch is not its technology. It is sold as a work of craftsmanship, hand made as opposed to being run off an assembly line, a piece of jewelry for the wrist, something that can passed on to the next generation as an heirloom. It is an anachronism but it has had surprisingly enduring appeal - so much so that the Japanese brands who dumped mechanical watches during the quartz revolution are looking to get back in. They are the ones who should be worried about the iWatch.

- HCE

• Reply 47 of 111
    Wow Mr. Ceo. Strawman much? I don't think anyone with a brain is suggestion a smart watch would replace the iPhone. The idea is that a smart watch would be a companion to an iPhone.

Sheesh, if this is the depth of your insight, please do two things for us. 1) Shut up. 2) Don't EVER build a smart watch.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    Uh oh. Three words. Dell. Balsillie. Colligan. :lol:

You can add Schmidt to that list. He was convinced that Apple was going to fail if it got back into the tablet market. The conventional wisdom of the pre-iPad world was that tablets were a dead market. One of my Fandroid friends even predicted iPad would be Steve Jobs' undoing.

NOW THEY USE IPADS.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Swatch better prepare their lawyers for when Samsung copies the iWatch with their S-watch.

They'd use "Galaxy Watch".

• Reply 50 of 111
    mgsarchmgsarch Posts: 50member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Who said that the watch would replace the phone? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

No one said it, it's an absurd thing for this guy to have said.

A potential iWatch seems like it could be completely synergistic rather than a substitute of any sort.

• Reply 51 of 111
    Famous last words. Never under estimate Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 111

I don't think he really believes such a watch would be meant to replace phones.  He's just exaggerating and trying to poison the public's mind against a possible Apple watch offering.  If I were CEO of a watch company and was hearing rumors about Apple entering the market, I'd probably start spouting FUD, too. 

But I'd also look into partnering and brain-storming with some Android smartphone makers and developing watches that would interface/integrate with those phones.  I wouldn't let the FUD campaign be my only response.

• Reply 53 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

What a joke.  We don't even know if an Apple watch exists, or if it does, what Apple's intended purpose is for it and already people are claiming it will be a failure.  I guess just like they proclaimed the iPhone and iPad would be failures. image

• Reply 54 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

AAPL touting a watch as their next "innovative" product will be a flop. Watches are jewelry/non-essential.

What is essential is my iTV operating as my "all-things" communication & entertainment hub integrated with my vehicle interface, business terminal, etc.!!!

Who cares about a watch you can barely see? Swatch's CEO is correct on this one.

It will be interesting to watch AAPL from here. And all of their "several" interesting products come out...so far only product modification have shown up...nothing anyone, nor I "must"have at the moment. Certainly not a watch!

When did Apple say anything about a watch?  What watch product have they been "touting"? image

• Reply 55 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What about band, loop, cord, or wrap?

I would think so unless there is specific wording that would exclude that from their meaning of mobile device.

I'm guessing "band" is the closest.  Like the Nike fuel band etc. 

• Reply 56 of 111

Swatch can and will keep doing what they're doing; some people in this thread really don't get it. Even if Apple sell 20 million iWatches next year Swatch won't have to feel threatened. Why? They make completely different products serving completely different customers. The people Swatch care about are those who will shell out for one of their better brands, i. e. Omega, Breguet, Glashütte Original or Blancpain - we're talking prices that range from 3'000 bucks to basically whatever amount you can think of here. 

Do you guys seriously believe that somebody who's in the market for a piece of jewelry and is willing to drop about 5k or more will be distracted by an iWatch for even a second? If anything, that person will buy both, because the cost of Apple's product will be utterly insignificant by comparison. 

I'm wearing an Omega Aqua Terra right now and I wouldn't compare it to a smart watch in my dreams. One is an elaborate, beautiful piece of jewelry, the other is a tool that would complement my iDevices. 

• Reply 57 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Who said that the watch would replace the phone? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

Here's what makes the most sense, in the long run, IMO:

1. Apple release a small headless "radios device" containing GPS, cell radios, WiFi, BT

2. Apple release several ancillary devices that contain additional hardware (Siri, display, kb, RAM, Storage, GPU, WiFi, BT, etc) that can be BT or WiFi tethered to the  "radios device".

• iPod Touch

• iPad Mini

• iPad

• MacBook

• wrist display

Currently, Apple packages the iPod Touch with the "radios device"  into an iPhone.

In the Future, Apple could package the wrist display with the "radios device"  into a wearable wrist iPhone.

So, if you only needed/wanted basic services (phone, iPod, Internet Appliance), you could just wear the wrist iPhone.

If/when desired, you could carry ancillary devices (iPod Touch, iPad Mini, iPad, MacBook) in your purse, pocket or pack) -- to give you more advanced capabilities.

Now, Here are the good parts:

• Apple can release the wrist iPhone. in addition to the current line of iDevices (no one-size-fits-all or early obsolescence)

• New buyers have the choice to buy ancillary devices with or without "radios" to suit their specific needs

• With the wrist iPhone, users can save money on ancillary devices (no "radios" hardware needed)

• With the wrist iPhone, users can save money on services (only 1 cell plan)

But, maybe the biggest benefit... the cost of entry for an Apple iPhone and the Apple ecosystem could be $150-$300 unlocked, without contract!

• Reply 58 of 111
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The CEO of a business that could be in competition with a possible new product category from Apple says that the possible new product wouldn't be a big deal. Where have we heard that before?

The CEO of VMWare said something similar recently about defections to Amazon's cloud computing. He said they can certainly compete against a "seller of books".

Ahem, whatever.

• Reply 59 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Whenever I want insight about the future of technology, I'm always sure to go to Swatch's CEO, a company I've never thought one about in my life. 

Seriously, why the **** is this a story here? And who the hell said Apple is planning to REPLACE their phones with a watch? Obviously they aren't. 

• Reply 60 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

His basic mistake of course is in the assumption that a wrist based device would "replace" an iPhone, when pretty much no one has suggested it could. 

IMO all the swirling confusion about what this device may or may not be can be removed if you simply stop using the word "watch," and replace it with "bracelet." No one wants to do that of course because bracelet is a "girls word."  There seems to be no other word for wrist-based device of sufficient manliness than "watch."

How about these:  Wrist bands, Slap Bracelets and Bracelets... these are pretty manly or uni-gender.