Apple TV 5.2.1 update includes redesigned Hulu interface

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How is TV not useful? It's an amazing medium that has done nothing but grow in amazing ways far beyond what people imagined in the century it has existed....<snip> but as a medium I see no reason it should be berated unless we also want to say "Just stop using the fucking Internet — do something useful."

I think these are different things; the internet can provide interaction/dialogue, whereas TV is one-way. Do agree that TV is a fantastic medium, from an invention PoV. But because of its one-way config, I think the internet will take over. Or call it a merger, but a two-way communication is better than one-way, no?
    I think you guys in places in the UK and France need to find out why this sort of an update is "useless" (or doesn't happen) there.

Is it Apple, or is it your local content providers and ISPs?

Hard to tell, as Apple never tells us (beforehand. They might tell us after a launch) The ISP's have their own agenda; since DSL is fast enough for IPTV they are all selling us a 3-in-one package deal here in NL: Internet, Phone, TV. And because they deliver TV over their Internet connection, they give you the option to watch TV on your iPad and iPhone. No one knows if the ISP's will create a Channel / App for the AppleTV if there was an API / TV Store
    daven wrote: »
    Really Google, the content provided to youtube is free.  It doesn't cost much at all for Google to host the videos.

Make no mistake on the internet pipe companies like Google have, and the incurred costs. Here in NL a 1Gbps internet connection, synchronous, non-overbooked, costs at least € 3000 /month. Provided there is fiber at your premises. Otherwise they make you pay for the rollout as well, usually running into 6 figures.

Can't find the costs for Google, but YouTube had to revert to TEXTp to reduce costs, at one time ¡
    wwinter86 wrote: »
    We have this ATV update in the UK too, but we don't have Hulu.
    So what's the point to updating in the UK?
    RTM "Apple TV 5.2.1
    Apple TV

Available for: Apple TV 2nd generation and later

Impact: A local user may be able to execute unsigned code

Description: A state management issue existed in the handling of Mach-O executable files with overlapping segments. This issue was addressed by refusing to load an executable with overlapping segments."
  • Reply 42 of 61
    While I have Hulu, I don't like that some content is only available through a web browser. Come on Apple, where is my Safari on Apple TV? My XBox 360 has Internet Explorer - what's the deal?
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Come on Apple, where is my Safari on Apple TV?

What an awful idea! We have iPads for that purpose. Get a mini, hook it up, and browse with a BT keyboard, if you want to surf with an excruciating experience. I'd rather surf the mobile web on an Ericsson phone ¡
  • Reply 44 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Spot on M8! Even the lowly Wi has BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and the other free UK catch up services - the iOS apps have already been written so it's just perverse not to include them.

Blame your local laws, then.

Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

Come on Apple, where is my Safari on Apple TV? My XBox 360 has Internet Explorer - what's the deal?

And you didn't use that experience to relieve yourself of this horrible idea for all eternity?

• Reply 45 of 61
    betsy2betsy2 Posts: 10member
    Tallest Skil- Local law!? If Apple don't allow BBC iplayer, 4od, 5od etc on ATV I fail to see how the local law plays any part in this?
    Have a think about your reply again regarding laws...
  • Reply 46 of 61

Originally Posted by betsy2 View Post

Tallest Skil- Local law!? If Apple don't allow BBC iplayer, 4od, 5od etc on ATV I fail to see how the local law plays any part in this?

Be… cause the owners and proprietors of those channels have not agreed with Apple to offer their services on Apple TV. 

It's on them. Hence, local.

Since Hulu is an American company, your local laws ALSO apply in Apple's broadcast of US content overseas. 

Have a think about your reply again regarding laws...

Yes, please do.

• Reply 47 of 61
    OK here's the situation in the UK: ALL Smart TVs, most games consoles and Blue Ray players, iPad, iPhone and iPod offer catch-up services ( BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 o/demand, 5 on demand) from our Freeview channels. There is no local legal prohibition that I'm aware of. 'Sky' ( Fox) satellite subscription TV has recently upgraded to offer catchup players through Internet connection. The wonderful BBC went out of their way to bring an 'iPlayer' iPad App to the device within months of it being released and have shown great support for extending access through a range of devices. I think the problem has to do with the lack of localisation on Apple TV. We get the W.S.J. live, NBA, MLB.com buttons which are niche interests over here, but not the services that are pretty much standard on other connected devices. Of course I can use my iPad and stream, or Sky, but in terms over making Apple TV my digital hub I guess we'll have to wait for the iTV roll out which is my guess as to why they are holding back on including these features.
  • Reply 48 of 61

That maybe true, but do you really want to watch reruns of Petticoat Junction?

• Reply 49 of 61
    newagemac with cablevision I get any show on 2457 and 11 for free without any commercials the next day on vod. So hulu plus with comemrcials is not worth it for me.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    john_l_uk wrote: »
    There is no local legal prohibition that I'm aware of.

I think the problem has to do with the lack of localisation on Apple TV.

See above
  • Reply 51 of 61

Masconn72

Sorry I have no idea what you're talking about! BBC iPlayer features a week's worth of all the current output of the channel - Sherlock, Dr Who or whatever is in season, amazing wildlife documentaries from the makers of Blue Planet and Life on Earth, great comedies, Talk Shows, Sport - which in our case means Football and Rugby (we call it Football never 'Soccer' and your version is known as 'American Football' but apart from the Superbowl it's not generally broadcast). Very useful if you've not set the Sky Plus Box (Tivo) or only just found out what you've missed.

OK I've checked and Wikipedia tells me that Petticoat Junction was a 60's sit-com (never broadcast in the UK) from the writer of the Beverley Hillbillies (which was - brilliant!). Some of the other catch-ups do broadcast archived series but not old ones - a pity because I love Columbo and that's not even available on our localised Netflix. Fortunately one of our terrestrial channels is broadcasting it at the moment so I'm happy.

• Reply 52 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

See above

PhilBoogie

Of course I meant there is no prohibition in the UK with access to iPlayer as everybody with a TV pays a license fee. BBC is therefore paid for in advance and this includes online access!

• Reply 53 of 61

Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

…everybody with a TV pays a license fee. BBC is therefore paid for in advance and this includes online access!

Online access does not require the license fee, and you can obviously own a TV and not pay it, either.

It's for viewing or recording live content only.

• Reply 54 of 61
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Late to this party, but Roku's new box (Roku 3) is everything I want Apple TV to be (with Mirroring).  HBO Go, Plex, Pandora, Spotify, Crackle, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, etc. etc. etc. AND it has Universal Search (What I really want)!  It's also now much faster- the reviews are praising it extremely highly (Roku 2 was good).

Apple... you aren't reading this- but if for some crazy reason you do... for the love of God PLEASE get closer to their capabilities!  And go above and beyond and wow us with something additional (like an ITV receiver- although Roku can be a Time Warner Box.. so I guess that wouldn't be new)

• Reply 55 of 61
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Sigh, as usual an update that only benefits the US customers. Come on, role out some local content in the UK or elsewhere for once!!!!!!

Do you have Hulu in the UK, or anything like it ?

FYI it's not an Apple service.

Here is what I get when I browse the Hulu site from Canada:

>Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

>

• Reply 56 of 61
    john_l_uk wrote: »
    Of course I meant there is no prohibition in the UK with access to iPlayer as everybody with a TV pays a license fee. BBC is therefore paid for in advance and this includes online access!

Thanks.

Personally, I'd pay for an iOS app, which would be easier to manage for the BBC, as opposed to making the content available over the internet outside of the UK.
  • Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Online access does not require the license fee, and you can obviously own a TV and not pay it, either.

It's for viewing or recording live content only.

Sorry Tallest Skill I hate to contradict you but you do need a license for live online access although iPlayer as a catch-up service is exempt from licensing - to quote directly from the licensing website -

"With today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices:

• Computers, including laptops and tablets

• Mobile phones

• Games consoles

• Digital boxes, e.g. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT Vision

• DVD/VHS/Blu-ray recorders.

As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet.

Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

This makes it even more of a shoe-in to include this functionality on ATV.

'You can obviously own a TV and not pay for it, either'

Again from the licensing website -

It’s against the law to watch or record TV programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid licence. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. 

Watching TV without a valid licence is a criminal offence. This can lead to prosecution, a court appearance and a fine of up to £1,000 (not including legal costs). The exceptions are in Guernsey where the maximum fine is £2,000 and Jersey it is £500.

It costs £145.50 for a colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

We have various ways of checking if you’re covered by a valid licence or not.

How we can detect if you’re correctly licensed

National database

We have a database of approximately 31 million licensed and unlicensed addresses. This tells us if your address has a TV Licence.

Enforcement officers

All our enforcement officers have access to this database. This means they can check if you have a valid licence or not.

If you inform us that you do not watch television, enforcement officers may still visit you to confirm this.

Hand-held detection devices

Enforcement officers may use a hand-held detection device to measure both the direction and the strength of a TV signal. This makes it easy for us to locate TV receiving equipment in even the hardest-to-reach places.

Detector vans

We also have a fleet of detector vans that can detect the use of TV receiving equipment at specifically targeted addresses within 20 seconds.

I know this sounds like something from an Eastern Bloc country and I'm pretty sure that there is an element of exaggeration in their threats; but to be honest the quality of programmes that the Beeb produces and their online content is well worth this tax and I'm quite happy to pay it; so if there are folks who don't want to put their hands in their pockets I'm glad that there's a bit of enforcement to make them toe the line.

• Reply 58 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Do you have Hulu in the UK, or anything like it ?

FYI it's not an Apple service.

Here is what I get when I browse the Hulu site from Canada:

>Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

>

Hi JoshA

I get the same message as you about Hulu. I suppose that Netfilx and LOVEFiLM Instant are the nearest things to Hulu that we get in the UK but looking at the Hulu interface I'm very impressed. I don't subscribe to LOVEFiLM so I've not compared the content with Hulu but I think Hulu probably has the edge!

• Reply 59 of 61

Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Sorry Tallest Skill I hate to contradict you but you do need a license for live online access…

That's what I said. If it's live, so there's a license required. If you're watching online after the fact, you don't need one.

The way I wrote it does make it look like there's a false distinction; sorry. I should have clarified about it being after the fact.

How we can detect if you’re correctly licensed

National database

We have a database of approximately 31 million licensed and unlicensed addresses. This tells us if your address has a TV Licence.

Enforcement officers

All our enforcement officers have access to this database. This means they can check if you have a valid licence or not.

If you inform us that you do not watch television, enforcement officers may still visit you to confirm this.

Hand-held detection devices

Enforcement officers may use a hand-held detection device to measure both the direction and the strength of a TV signal. This makes it easy for us to locate TV receiving equipment in even the hardest-to-reach places.

Detector vans

We also have a fleet of detector vans that can detect the use of TV receiving equipment at specifically targeted addresses within 20 seconds.

Okay, this is an outright political statement but: HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU OKAY WITH LIVING IN A COUNTRY THAT DOES THIS?!

• Reply 60 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's what I said. If it's live, so there's a license required. If you're watching online after the fact, you don't need one.

The way I wrote it does make it look like there's a false distinction; sorry. I should have clarified about it being after the fact.

Okay, this is an outright political statement but: HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU OKAY WITH LIVING IN A COUNTRY THAT DOES THIS?!

I know, and we can't even purchase assault rifles (or hand-guns for that matter) ! Guess it's just the price we pay for living in - 

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise,  ..... This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

(or Wales in my case). 

Seriously though as a nation we generally accept that the BBC is worth the licence fee because there are no commercials - which is great, especially during films - and being free of commercial constraints has meant they have made programmes that would never have been commercially produced - Monty Python, the Office, etc but to be honest BBC Radio which comes out of the same funding is worth the licence fee on its own. It might be unfair that even if you never watch the channel and only watch commercial channels you still have to pay, but the BBC has been a massive force for stability and culture in our society and I'm not complaining!