IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If we didn't have the I DON'T BELIEVE THIS cant in these threads we could have a sane discussion on what Apple needs to do.

They don't "need to do" anything. They've already done more than they needed to do. 

What, they "need" a 7" model now? A 6"? A $99 tablet? Maybe an 8.5".

• Reply 42 of 139
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

Some posters' aluminum hats are too tight.

• Reply 43 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

If we didn't have the I DON'T BELIEVE THIS cant in these threads we could have a sane discussion on what Apple needs to do.

Actually the believability of the data is seriously compromised by IDC's shoddy methodology.

They -- and their supporters -- should put up or shut up.

• Reply 44 of 139
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

The world is a big place I guess... Around me all (and I mean ALL) tablets that I see are iPads. I know a guy who has a Transformer and my mom has a random plastic android thing collecting dust on a cabinet. Other than that, iPads.

So all those numbers must come from another corner of the earth...

• Reply 45 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Let me guess, Apple needs:-

A cheaper tablet.

To update iOS so it's less "dated" and "boring".

Whatever else is on the menu this week.

btw, what's with the caps, "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT"?

• Reply 46 of 139
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Oh, and if IDC is to be believed in the second chart, Apple dropped from a 60% global market share to a 40% market share in a single quarter (the drop occurring between Q's 2 & 3 in 2012), where they remain today.

Who stepped in and 'stole' that 20% of market share away in a single quarter? How is that even remotely imaginable?

Even with IDC saying: "the number of units shipped equals market share"? Bwaaa hahahaha!

Half of reading a chart is understanding the data you are looking at.  The 'hard numbers' are the number of units sold during the indicated quarters.  When you take the number of units one vendor sold and divide that by the total number sold, you get their percentage of devices sold that quarter.  Look at the numbers and do the math...

Apple sold 11.8 million units in Q1 of 2012.  Everybody COMBINED sold 20.3 million units.  Do the math....  Apple sold 58.1% of the units sold that quarter. 

That is not remotely implying that 58% of tablet users are using an iPad.  Sales market share does not equal user market share.

User market share is more like a tub full of water, and sales market share would be individual faucets filling up that tub.

Apple had a huge hit with the iPad and was pretty much filling up the majority of the tub by itself for a few years.  Most of the 'water' currently in the tub is indeed from the Apple spigot.  At one point the iPad was around 80-85% of the market.

In Q1 of 2013 Apple sold a whopping 19.5 million tablets.  The most ever by anybody and certainly another 'record'  19.5 million is more than 11.8 million so Apple did indeed grow by 65.3%  That is tremendous growth any way you slice it, and when you are selling the MOST in a market it is very difficult to grow by a large percentage.  Say I made my own tablet and last year I sold one of them.  This year I sold 10 of them.  I could say that because Apple went from 11.8m to 19.5m they 'only' grew 65.3%.... Since I went from 1 to 10 tablets sold I grew a staggering 1000%.  Since 1000% growth > 65.3% growth *clearly* I'm kicking Apples butt...

I sold 10 tablets.  Apple sold 19.5 million.

Data is data and you can make pretty much anything sound good.  But you can't argue with the actual numbers- and the other vendors aren't selling '10' tablets to Apples 19.5 million- they are closing the gap rapidly.  Apple is now supplying more water to the tub than ever, but the other faucets have turned up even more than Apple has.  Where last year Apple was putting 60% of the total water into the tub they are contributing in about 40%

If you fill a tub 80% full with cold water only, then change it to 80% hot water/20% cold water, the whole tub doesn't immediately change to being hot.  Given enough time sales share will eventually determine user share.

*If* the data above is accurate it means Apple has lost sales dominance and probably about 2 years from now there will be more Android tablet users than Apple tablet users.

Since Apple still has around 70% *user* market share, usage statistics are going to show substantially more iOS usage than Android usage but that number too will trend of time lagging the results of sales market share.

• Reply 47 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

*If* the data above is accurate .....

It can't be accurate since the methodology is messed up. (As you noted elsewhere in your post, "Half of reading a chart is understanding the data you are looking at.").

• Reply 48 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    igriv wrote: »
    What is ASUS shipping? I haven't heard much about their devices (transformers, I guess)

Nexus tablets.
  • Reply 49 of 139
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

well doesn't this happen when your stuff reaches a saturation point? Duh. There are just so many people that are going to but  the iPad.

• Reply 50 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I seriously believe that ever more people USE iPads (seeing as none of the reports of use show the iPad falling below 90%), despite all this channel stuffing from everyone else.

I agree with you but you gotta remember all the iPads purchased before 2012 that are still being used. The upgrade cycle for iPads is probably longer than the iPhone so while sales might slip a little actual users will be higher.
  • Reply 51 of 139
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

love the entire "no that is Shipped" mentality - The idea that the 20million tablet Apple sold is enough tablets to satisfy the entire world market is nonsense. If it is, this Post PC era is a bust.

• Reply 52 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does IDC come up with their figures for tablets other than iPads? And if IDC is way off (in 2011 they predicted Windows phone would be #2 in market share by 2015) what happens? Actually how would we even know if they're way off since no one but Apple reports shipment figures? :\
  • Reply 53 of 139
    agramonte wrote: »
    The idea that the 20million tablet Apple sold is enough tablets to satisfy the entire world market is nonsense. If it is, this Post PC era is a bust.

How many PCs were sold worldwide at the end of their third year of existence?
  • Reply 54 of 139
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Ahhhhh

I see what you did there.

The Old  > Shipments < Instead Of > Sold To Actual Customers < chart.

Yup this needs to be said every single time you see "shipments"

A shipment is not a sale, for all we know the shipments went into warehouses and may never be sold, or got shipped directly to landfills (like ET Cartridges)

Apple makes more money from all their iOS devices combined than the entire Android ecosystem. No amount of shipping is going to change that. Android is a horrible thing to develop for and even more horrible because of fragmentation. Apple is all "write once, works on everything"
  • Reply 55 of 139
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Attention shoppers: shipped does not equal sold.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Yup this needs to be said every single time you see "shipments"

A shipment is not a sale, for all we know the shipments went into warehouses and may never be sold, or got shipped directly to landfills (like ET Cartridges)

I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that a sale took place if the product was paid for, correct?

• Reply 57 of 139
    Other tablets (not apple) are for poor people, if you're knocking apple for aiming products at people with money then you're a silly goose. Apple hasn't chosen the stack em heigh sell em cheap philosophy thus far, so why start now. Apple is the new whipping boy for the media and bitter sour faced people who can't afford an iPad but like to leave posts on website articles. I remember the days when is was cool to hate Microsoft, the price of success. A bit like American media turning on Toyota when they had a few recalls, all because they are whipping US industries asses with their superior products. The US car companies don't recall they just allow them the crash and burn.

Love you all
  • Reply 58 of 139
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does IDC come up with their figures for tablets other than iPads? And if IDC is way off (in 2011 they predicted Windows phone would be #2 in market share by 2015) what happens? Actually how would we even know if they're way off since no one but Apple reports shipment figures? image

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Why is their prediction evidence that they are off? Does your crystal ball disagree?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 59 of 139

Looking at raw quantities, the numbers are believable.  I'm sure a lot of $99 tablets are sold.  But after a short period of use, many realize that this was a waste of $99, and go buy something better.  Sometimes, they will be stupid and buy another piece of junk because it's cheap, hoping it's better.  Or maybe they will upgrade to a higher end tablet, such as the Samsung, or the iPad.  End result is they bought 2 tablets, even though they only ever use one.  Still counts as a sale for that cheap unit even though it's never turned on.

Software developers look more at usage than sales.  If their customers are using a device, they will develop for that device, plain and simple.  And all reports still show the iPad far in the lead in this category.  High end app selection is still far greater in the iOS market.  Yes the gap of counting raw quantities of apps on each market is closer now, but quantity does not mean quality.

• Reply 60 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    igriv wrote: »

Why is their prediction evidence that they are off? Does your crystal ball disagree?

Please read what i said. I said IF not WHEN. Can you tell me where they get their estimates from and what happens IF their estimates are incorrect?