Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future

Comments

• Reply 141 of 182
    hill60 wrote: »
    The view of my street is "stale" but that doesn't mean I'll be moving house, besides I only see it when I'm going somewhere or coming home.

So? Good story but so what?
    flaneur wrote: »
    Come off this "opinion" crap. You are being paid to float the "stale" meme here. You are obvious, transparent.

Tell your handlers that you're going to have to try something else.

Stale. Live with it. Let it fester. IOS home screen is stale TO ME. Why does it bother you?
    The complaint with using the word "stale" is that you have not described what attributes you feel are "stale".  You are certainly welcome "to feel that iOS is stale", but the other persons who responded to your posts want to know your reasons.  Rather than making a nebulous and unsubstantiated assertion, list the attributes of iOS that you feel are "stale"--and define what you mean by "stale":  Is there something that is deficient and detracts from your user experience?  Is there a feature that is offered by a competing product that performs better?  Are you just looking for a visual change?

Once you have offered an argument to support your opinion, then others can respond to your specific points and tell why they agree or disagree with your opinion.  That can make for an interesting discussion, where various participants may draw different conclusions.  Simply asserting a vague opinion does not add value to any discussion.

I did answer. And I'm not looking to argue my point. Im not looking to argue at all. I made a passing superficially "not pro Apple" comment that was swimming in a sea of praise and the moderator started trolling me. Then others joined in. I sought to convince no one my opinion was correct yet apparently I offended everyone.

Hell I was even called a liar for my feeling that Apple is the only company that has the clout to sway the content providers to produce an Apple TV experience that is much more than just a screen.

So I literally have no fucking clue whats going on here.
  • Reply 142 of 182
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

<..>

So I literally have no fucking clue whats going on here.

Yes you know, you are part of "I want to have an argument with you" Monty Python's sketch

• Reply 143 of 182
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    applepi wrote: »
    Apple needs to shore up its truck business. They've turned themselves from a content creation business into a content consumption business. 

1. Were the hell is iLife '13 (or for that matter '12)

2. Aperture (level it up)

3. Mac Pros (a new range of machines is needed)
    4. Blu-ray playback / burning support in OSX? (stop ignoring blu-ray and put some burners in your machines)

1. don't know, but it looks like they set their priorities to different things, I presume iOS & OSX
    2. Sure, I want a new version, with my wish-list implemented. Though the updates we are getting now are all free of charge, which is nice. But I wouldn't mind paying $79 yearly for upgrades. v3 was released 3 years and 3 months ago, which is indeed a very long time (wiki)
    3. Cook said they'll release on this calendar year
    4. Pop one in the empty bay of your Mac Pro, or buy external. I mean, if you need it, buy one. No software required as OSX burns those. Straight from DVD Studio Pro. I believe FCP (which also does 4k and 5k) does that as well, but you could always as Mr. Dick Applebaum.

edit #4: it does: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/
  • Reply 144 of 182

" now sits on well over $144.7 billion"

Surely sitting on money is a recession in itself.

If it just ain't going round it is sitting square on top of a resulting world depression.

• Reply 145 of 182
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

How would you improve upon the iPhone home screen?

Aesthetic changes or functional changes?

Personally I like that iOS sort of gets out of the way; there are very few software barriers between powering on the device and accessing the applications.

And I respect your opinion. If I had to change iOS home screen it would be a cleaner version of the Android home screen. Hence why I'm using Android and not iOS. The intents and defaults are a plus.

If you rationalize a little, you will come to the conclusion that the home screen on Android is a wasted step. You could have the same functionality (if you want) on the lock screen.

• Reply 146 of 182
    If you rationalize a little, you will come to the conclusion that the home screen on Android is a wasted step. You could have the same functionality (if you want) on the lock screen.

Yea I guess that is true and I'm sure there's someone out there who has that. But I like having a lock screen.
  • Reply 147 of 182
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Come off this "opinion" crap. You are being paid to float the "stale" meme here. You are obvious, transparent.

Why are you attacking his posts?    

Do you seriously believe that anyone who thinks the iOS UI needs refreshing, is being paid to say so ?

In that case, Jon Ive must be a paid shill as well.   As well as the rest of the Apple executive staff who pushed Forstall out.

A UI refresh is a primary reason why people are looking forward to iOS 7.

• Reply 148 of 182
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by realitychecks 

Now that my single slightly negative thing said of anything Apple evidenced on this forum is remedied as per the hive mind can we continue being on topic?

Nah, just go away.

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Do you seriously believe that anyone who thinks the iOS UI needs refreshing, is being paid to say so ?

In that case, Jon Ive must be a paid shill as well.   As well as the rest of the Apple executive staff who pushed Forstall out.

Oh, he posts here, does he? Come off it.

A UI refresh is a primary reason why people are looking forward to iOS 7.

Citation needed.

• Reply 149 of 182
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,299member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nah, just go away.

Citation needed.

Small non-scientific survey here:

http://readwrite.com/2013/05/16/ios-users-beg-set-our-iphones-ipads-free

• Reply 150 of 182
    Nah, just go away.

Citation needed.

You are seriously a troll. By definition:

Wikipedia: In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[4]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Urban Dictionary: A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues.

You are a troll.
  • Reply 151 of 182

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Small non-scientific survey here:

http://readwrite.com/2013/05/16/ios-users-beg-set-our-iphones-ipads-free

Those options are horrible, you understand.

• Reply 152 of 182
    Did this post have a point other than to outline what you are?

Find me one single troll post in my sixty or so posts. Just one. All you need to do is find one troll post of mine and I will deactivate my account or delete it or whatever I'm capable of doing on this forum.

Not a quote mined post either. A whole post so context is evident.

I'll wait. Should be super simple since you insist I'm a troll.
  • Reply 153 of 182
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``While pundits and analysts like to focus attention on how Apple is now appears incapable of growing at the same historical pace simply due to the laws of physics....''

Please just don't include subject matter you clearly don't grasp, especially when it's insulting to those that do: ``...due to the laws of physics...'' is obnoxious.

Money is a man-made construct, not a universal physics construct.

P.S. The rest of the Op-Ed is solid.

Exponential growth can't continue indefinitely with bounded resources (space, materials, energy, etc.).  That's a law of physics.  I don't know who you're referring to who "grasp" physics and would find Daniel's statements obnoxious, but I'm a physicist and I think he has put it perfectly correctly.

• Reply 154 of 182
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Selling Apple's share in ARM must have been one of the biggest blunders Steve ever made it seems to me. Or was there some benefit other than a short term financial gain I am missing?

Possible benefits to Apple:

1. Focus: At that time Apple was still in the earlier stages of proofing their disruptive concept of intense focus on a few critical products/technologies.

2. Signaling to the rest of the community that the ARM "ecosystem" was not going to turn proprietary--note that Intel sold off their stake soon after, too. Now anyone* can be assured that an investment in ARM processors couldn't be hijacked.

* Such as Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, et al.

3. Then there's the money--a trivial amount by today's standard, but still significant back then. 

There may even be an Ars Technica article discussing this in greater detail floating around if you're interested.

• Reply 155 of 182
    Nah, just go away.

Citation needed.

Did you delete my posts defining you as a troll. Then asking you to find a single troll post of mine since you consider me a troll despite the absolute lack of any trollish comment from me?
  • Reply 156 of 182

Did you delete my posts defining you as a troll.

No, but I did preemptively remove the backlink to said post in the event it would be deleted, saving the effort of having to edit my post that referenced it. Because no one likes broken back links.

Then asking you to find a single troll post of mine…

I didn't even get to see that one. image

• Reply 157 of 182
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,299member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. I. Do. image

• Reply 158 of 182
    No, but I did preemptively remove the backlink to said post in the event it would be deleted, saving the effort of having to edit my post that referenced it. Because no one likes broken back links.

I didn't even get to see that one. :lol:

So stop trolling me.

Or find a single troll post of mine (full post not a quotemine so context isn't lost) and I'll never come back here.

If you can't find one (you can't because none exist) leave me alone.
  • Reply 159 of 182
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Tell your handlers that you're going to have to try something else.

Thats close to the nuttiest thing on this forum today. If not this week.

• Reply 160 of 182

Or find a single troll post of mine (full post not a quotemine so context isn't lost) and I'll never come back here.

Hilarious. Best part is, though, you don't get to be the one to determine that, because otherwise anything I'd post you'd dismiss. 

Nice try, though.