Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future

Comments

• Reply 161 of 182
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Come off this "opinion" crap. You are being paid to float the "stale" meme here. You are obvious, transparent.

Tell your handlers that you're going to have to try something else.

You need treatment.
    Hilarious. Best part is, though, you don't get to be the one to determine that, because otherwise anything I'd post you'd dismiss. 

Nice try, though.

I'm done with this site, I'm leaving. Please erase my profile and posts.
  • Reply 162 of 182

Constable Odo

Seriously you think that google has gained from moto purchase?

You should read the 10 Q filings and pay attention to what the moto division has directly gained goog or lost them.

Granted that goog is up, but that relation to it's stock purchase of moto is debatable.  The hammer has not yet fallen about the value of the patents it acquired, but something like 19/21 of the worlds major phone makers (android based) are currently paying microsoft royalties to use android, and many are paying apple.  Once they all are and I believe that that will happen in the next two years, then goog will be paying aapl and msft to use android not to mention what will happen with oracle's suit and how much goog will be paying orcl.  Amazon has found a way to deflect profits from goog to amzn by forking android and locking customers into their ecosystem.  So yes goog has risen, but that rise is partly based on defense of their mobile business, and soon they will be paying more to continue that business not to mention the tax avoidance schemes that they have employed and are coming unraveled (check the british news feeds).

• Reply 163 of 182
    undefined
  • Reply 164 of 182

Sorry, I just don't see Siri and Maps as great products. Compared to Google's voice recognition, speech synthesis, and their own Maps application, Apple's offerings look five to ten years behind.

Siri is slow. It has to connect to Apple's network each time you use it. Google's voice search doesn't, most of the time it runs on the device. Unlike Siri, Google's voice search can actually read you answers to your queries. It doesn't do it every time, but try asking both Siri and Google how far the Earth is from the Sun. Siri displays a data page from Wolfram Alpha containing the correct answer, while Google displays links with the answer, as well as displaying the correct answer AND reading it to you.

Google's voice recognition is not only much faster than Siri, it's much more accurate. The speech synthesis sounds almost like a real human voice; Siri sounds like a computer.

Now, Google's voice recognition can't yet book you a table for dinner or buy movie tickets like Siri can, but Google Now can anticipate what you might want, while Siri can't. Google Now can learn your likes and dislikes, showing you when your favorite team won, suggesting restaurants you might like, and even estimating how long it will take you to get to work given current traffic conditions.

These are all features Google offers today. What about tomorrow?

Google I/O demonstrated some pretty amazing voice search technology, bordering on agency. I really think this is the future: people will want their computing devices to learn about them, and then suggest and act accordingly, and Google plans to integrate this into search capabilities in the future.

And don't even get me started on Maps. Apple's Maps app will take at least five years to get where the Google Maps app is today.

Where is Apple in all this? Google has invested billions over the last decade in data centers and network computing, and these investments are beginning to bear fruit in very fast processing of queries, such that Google can perform voice searches in nearly real time!

By the way, I think an Apple smart watch is a great accessory to an iPhone, and could really do a lot. Google Glass, on the other hand, is yesterday's feature set in search of a problem to solve. The battery life is only a few hours, and the camera is low resolution by today's standards. I really think Google Glass will fail, even if they lower the price from $1,500 to a couple hundred dollars.

If Apple were to put a fingerprint reader into the iPhone, they could make a huge impact on the future. Imagine sitting down at your Mac, and never having to log into a website again! You swipe your finger over the home button of your iPhone, and you get authenticated into everything: Amazon, Chase, you name it. Apple could make the changes in Safari such that you never need enter a login and password again, you just authenticate with your finger on the iPhone.

This could have a huge impact. Apple could single-handedly do away with passwords, and greatly reduce credit card fraud. And don't even get me started about NFC, which could eliminate cash and credit card issues were Apple to implement it.

Apple has a bright future, but its primary competitor for the next ten years isn't Samsung. Or Microsoft.

It's Google.

• Reply 165 of 182
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm done with this site, I'm leaving. Please erase my profile and posts.

One down.

Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post

Sorry, I just don't see Siri and Maps as great products. Compared to Google's voice recognition, speech synthesis, and their own Maps application, Apple's offerings look five to ten years behind.

"Look"? 

Google's voice search doesn't, most of the time it runs on the device. 

The processing for Google Voice is literally done on every single device, and is stored there as well?

…Google Now can anticipate what you might want, while Siri can't.

Wonder why¡

And don't even get me started on Maps. Apple's Maps app will take at least five years to get where the Google Maps app is today.

Oh? Want to be held to that?

This could have a huge impact. Apple could single-handedly do away with passwords, and greatly reduce credit card fraud. And don't even get me started about NFC, which could eliminate cash and credit card issues were Apple to implement it.

I don't buy how fingerprint readers will do anything actually innovative, but I buy that Apple would be the first to make a digital wallet that could completely and utterly revolutionize every supply chain in the world that uses it.

• Reply 166 of 182
    Nice.
    Apple will continue to flourish until 2015. Significant marketshare in all things iPhone, iPad and even (though part of a smaller pie) desk/laptop past then.
    But...
    Profitable to 2018. Sustainable to 2020. Viable until 2022...
    But then what?
    Apple will need to develop a serious addition to their eco-system to maintain loyalty base and top-notch employee retainment - say in the 1-2 years. Where to go?
    The one thing that we thought was going away (and is (re-)emerging, but poorly): real life. Real objects. Made throughout by 'makers'. Distributed by big companies. Perfected by dynamic small companies. Beautiful 3d objects. Entertainment objects. DYI objects. Gaming pieces. Models. Crafted objects. Gifts. all made to be created by a 3d Apple maker, using iTunes stores drawings, printed and individualized. Back to the Future. Back to the craftmaker. Ideally, objects that can be made and used to interact with Apple's iPads, iPhones, and other devices. Imagine a large iPad (gPad - group Pad 11x17) that is a game board where your 3d printed figures interact with a digital iPad map by being placed upon it. The figures would be RFID (or equiv) with character attributes. Play, plan, make, interact. Down with the individual and their earbuds - back to group gaming, playing, and creating quick 'objects'. Object designs, iPad boards, and all group activity created by apple, developers big and small. Some free, else pay-as-you-play or whatever. It is the way. Heed the way, Apple. It will be your breakthrough product in 2016. Forget wearable - we're talking playable 3d.
  • Reply 167 of 182

Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Apple will continue to flourish until 2015. Significant marketshare in all things iPhone, iPad and even (though part of a smaller pie) desk/laptop past then.

But...

But then what?

I like that you believe you know anything whatsoever about Apple's future. But I DO agree that Apple, changing absolutely nothing whatsoever in any regard at any time between then and now, could EASILY be viable until 2022. 

Not many companies can say that. And, really, the rest of the industry will get bedsores from sitting on their laurels that entire time anyway. Apple's golden.

Apple will need to develop a serious addition to their eco-system to maintain loyalty base and top-notch employee retainment - say in the 1-2 years.

Not in the slightest. Is this your first day paying attention to anything Apple has done? Ever?

[convoluted… something]

So, what, 3D printing? Why? What about Apple makes you think your gimmicky idea would be something they'd do?

• Reply 168 of 182
    Hilarious. Best part is, though, you don't get to be the one to determine that, because otherwise anything I'd post you'd dismiss. 

Nice try, though.

Or there isn't a single troll post from me whereas every reply from you to me has been a troll post.
  • Reply 169 of 182
    Nice.
    But...
    But then what?
    Apple will need to develop a serious addition to their eco-system to maintain loyalty base and top-notch employee retainment - say in the 1-2 years. Where to go?
    The one thing that we thought was going away (and is (re-)emerging, but poorly): real life. Real objects. Made throughout by 'makers'. Distributed by big companies. Perfected by dynamic small companies. Beautiful 3d objects. Entertainment objects. DYI objects. Gaming pieces. Models. Crafted objects. Gifts. all made to be created by a 3d Apple maker, using iTunes stores drawings, printed and individualized. Back to the Future. Back to the craftmaker. Ideally, objects that can be made and used to interact with Apple's iPads, iPhones, and other devices. Imagine a large iPad (gPad - group Pad 11x17) that is a game board where your 3d printed figures interact with a digital iPad map by being placed upon it. The figures would be RFID (or equiv) with character attributes. Play, plan, make, interact. Down with the individual and their earbuds - back to group gaming, playing, and creating quick 'objects'. Object designs, iPad boards, and all group activity created by apple, developers big and small. Some free, else pay-as-you-play or whatever. It is the way. Heed the way, Apple. It will be your breakthrough product in 2016. Forget wearable - we're talking playable 3d.

Eh. Disagree.
  • Reply 170 of 182
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Thats close to the nuttiest thing on this forum today. If not this week.

Says one of the most brilliant among us, the guy whose one-word reaction to the iPhone 5 was "Meh."

THAT was the dumbest thing on this forum in the last year.
  • Reply 171 of 182
    Or there isn't a single troll post from me whereas every reply from you to me has been a troll post.

Allow me to point out that you were an obvious Android implant by your third post, where you tried to say that Apple "fanboys" claim Apple invents a lot of things..

And allow me to quote from slurpy, local BS fighter extraordinaire: "I can tell from your username that you are going to be one tiresome troll."

I can tell by your style that you are ConradJoe's very spawn, come back with a new concern troll disguise. Your attempt to validate the iOS-is-stale, I'm-bored-with-static-icons meme gives you away.

Nothing is more crucial to iOS than the beautiful, restful, serene, classically arranged garden of apps. That's why trolls use the meme. They know it strikes to the heart of the operating aesthetic.

It's like saying on a Yo-Yo Ma fan site that you're bored with the cello.

So you've been busted. I haven't seen you say a single perceptive thing. Just go away.
  • Reply 172 of 182

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I should keep these all somewhere… Wish a thread could be locked to only allow the OP to post. Quote 'em all!

• Reply 173 of 182
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Well if Yo Yo ma added flashing LEDs or an "explosions" sound button to that cello...
  • Reply 174 of 182
    Allow me to point out that you were an obvious Android implant by your third post, where you tried to say that Apple "fanboys" claim Apple invents a lot of things..

And allow me to quote from slurpy, local BS fighter extraordinaire: "I can tell from your username that you are going to be one tiresome troll."

I can tell by your style that you are ConradJoe's very spawn, come back with a new concern troll disguise. Your attempt to validate the iOS-is-stale, I'm-bored-with-static-icons meme gives you away.

Nothing is more crucial to iOS than the beautiful, restful, serene, classicly arranged garden of apps. That's why trolls use the meme. They know it strikes to the heart of the operating aesthetic.

So you've been busted. I haven't seen you say a single perceptive thing. Just go away.

Pleasseeeee post that entire quote so I can show that you're just a hyper emotional fool.

I'll post it for you

People think Apple invented the smartphone period (no one here I don't think or on any tech site but out in the world), they think they invented capacitive screens, multi touch, installable apps, MP3 players, tablets, the mouse, the GUI, and that's all I can think of.

There would probably be a lot less resistance to giving credit where credit is due if people didn't try and give ALL credit where it isn't due.

that's it...

I stated that...and only that...you'll notice the lack of the word fanboy

you'll notice how i was very particular on who I was referring to.

I was speaking about people I know...or people I've heard speak...my cousin for instance, my friend Stephanie, my little sister...people at house "parties" (which have become a lot more tame now that we are in our thirties)

How that simple comment, that was so carefully unoffensive managed to offend so many fucking people and get me trolled by a moderator is sad on YOUR part.
  • Reply 175 of 182
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Pleasseeeee post that entire quote so I can show that you're just a hyper emotional fool.

I'll post it for you
    that's it...

I stated that...and only that...you'll notice the lack of the word fanboy

you'll notice how i was very particular on who I was referring to.

I was speaking about people I know...or people I've heard speak...my cousin for instance, my friend Stephanie, my little sister...people at house "parties" (which have become a lot more tame now that we are in our thirties)

How that simple comment, that was so carefully unoffensive managed to offend so many fucking people and get me trolled by a moderator is sad on YOUR part.

This is AbsoluteDesignz, who also had a couple other banned personas, so don't mind him.
  • Reply 176 of 182
    macsimconmacsimcon Posts: 17member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The processing for Google Voice is literally done on every single device, and is stored there as well?

Oh? Want to be held to that?

I don't buy how fingerprint readers will do anything actually innovative, but I buy that Apple would be the first to make a digital wallet that could completely and utterly revolutionize every supply chain in the world that uses it.

Yes, I'm happy to be held to that. In five years, Apple's Maps will only be as good as Google Maps is right now.

Have you actually used Apple Maps and Google Maps? I don't see you refuting any of the arguments I made.

Google Maps is accurate. It warns you several hundred feet before you need to turn. In comparison, Apple Maps warns you when you're fifty feet from the turn, which doesn't give you much time to react.

When I am using Apple Maps to get from point A to point B, and I ask for a point of interest along the way (a restaurant, for example), Siri routinely tries to re-route me BACKWARD along my route if that's the closest location, which is just stupid. If I'm going from point A to point B, I probably want my point of interest to be ahead of me, and not behind me, so I don't waste time backtracking.

Apple Maps has directed me no fewer than six times to intersections or locations for my destination, only to find that the destination is a block or more away. For instance, try finding the Apple Store in Victoria Gardens, California. Apple Maps shows the pin one block away and on the other side of the street from the store's ACTUAL location. Worse yet, the store moved from that location two years ago!

I could go on and on, but Apple Maps is just a horrible, embarrassing app. It's just another instance of Apple's hubris, thinking they can just jump in and do something as well as Google can, despite Google having been at it for years. Ironically, Apple did just that to Palm. How times change.

As for fingerprint readers, what do you mean you don't "buy" that they'll do anything innovative? In my post, I described an innovative use for fingerprint readers. Do you doubt that they're capable of what I'm suggesting? Or just that Apple is incapable of creating such a feature? Obviously, I think both of those are incorrect.

I make my living working on all of Apple's products, but I'm not blinded by some emotional attachment to Apple.

• Reply 177 of 182
    jeffdm wrote: »
    This is AbsoluteDesignz, who also had a couple other banned personas, so don't mind him.

Aha! Thank you. I feel less paranoid already. Like taking two weeks worth of Prozac.

Seriously, though, are you still with us, asdasd?
  • Reply 178 of 182
    jungmark wrote: »
    Well if Yo Yo ma added flashing LEDs or an "explosions" sound button to that cello...

Widgits! For the cello! We could make a killing . . .

I'm in it with you, right?
  • Reply 179 of 182
    future manfuture man Posts: 108member
    ALL:

It seems that some writers to this Blog have a personal animosity toward Apple and starry-eyed admiration for Google, I am not quite so sure why as these are both corporations unworthy of more than our investment dollars and giving us a good product. Google does Web advertising well, no one can argue with that success, yet the search engine is a bit primitive and its Android OS is about as exciting as Microsoft Windows, which through pervasive and 'market dominant' is not exactly a awe-inspiring OS and it also is not a company that is going to disappear even though Bill Gates has left the company. Every corporation goes through a life-cycle from founder-to-thrid party corporate management. Apple is going through this change, Google one day will as well. I note that companies such as Walt Disney, Ford and McDonalds and many others - all survived and were many times greater once their founders [ retired or passed-on. The key in any Fortune 500 corporation is getting the proper management which HPQ and some other companies are struggling to do- it is an art more than a science and looking at a resume.
  • Reply 180 of 182

Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post

In five years, Apple's Maps will only be as good as Google Maps is right now.

Dang, should have just bet outright. I could have made hundreds of millions.

Have you actually used Apple Maps and Google Maps? I don't see you refuting any of the arguments I made.

Because your arguments are total effing crap, borne of you not actually using the services you're discussing.

I could go on and on, but Apple Maps is just a horrible, embarrassing app. It's just another instance of Apple's hubris, thinking they can just jump in and do something as well as Google can, despite Google having been at it for years.

Take whatever you're smoking down to Colombia and become their newest drug lord.

As for fingerprint readers, what do you mean you don't "buy" that they'll do anything innovative?

Are you unfamiliar with that idiom or just incredulous that someone could find the tech to be less than the best new thing possible?

In my post, I described an innovative use for fingerprint readers.

Not really, since you can already do that. And just any feature isn't acceptable on its own; it has to be executed properly or it won't be done at all.

Do you doubt that they're capable of what I'm suggesting? Or just that Apple is incapable of creating such a feature? Obviously, I think both of those are incorrect.

Great strawmen! Have a cyanide-laced cookie.