Rains once more cause damage at Apple's Fifth Avenue NY store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Weather woes continue at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, as rain is once again seeping into the retail location, and now Apple's SoHo location is said to have been suffering from the same problem.

leak

Reports of further leakage popped up on Friday when tipsters sent in pictures and video of the problem to Gothamist. One image shows a ceiling panel in one location dramatically deformed due to the continued leaking.

Apple employees reportedly rushed to move sensitive electronics out of the way of the leaks, while other employees set about placing a large receptacle under the leaking area.

Apple's SoHo retail location was also reported to have been suffering leakage problems, but employees at the store expressed no knowledge of such a problem when AppleInsider called.

The latest leak marks the second time in as many weeks that the iconic Fifth Avenue store has suffered water damage. Earlier in May, heavy rains breached the location, causing employees to rush to mop up the damage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Better pop that ceiling zit.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This whole article just amounts to "it isn't fixed yet." So what?

If they had fixed it and then the "fix" broke, that would be a mildly interesting page 500 kind of story. This isn't even that. This is literally no story at all.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member
    I work about 5 blocks from there.

When I tell you it was raining yesterday... my god. You don't see that every week...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    logic368logic368 Posts: 36member
    That rain was amazing... i couldn't walk a block without getting soaked... it brought people together, all huddled under whatever we could find!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    We had some heavy rain a couple weeks ago.

Radio Shack had a few leaks, as did the grocery store next to it.

Can I get a shout out for this tip?

;)
  • Reply 6 of 17
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    bobringer wrote: »
    When I tell you it was raining yesterday... my god. You don't see that every week...
    We got caught in the rains yesterday - nothing trivial with the amount coming down - noticed, this morning, lots of mud filling paths in Central Park. Thought we saw the "arc" on 59th :~).
  • Reply 7 of 17
    drwamdrwam Posts: 38member
    As a west coast guy, NYC always impresses me with the degree to which things are run down and broken. And I love NYC.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    drwam wrote: »
    As a west coast guy, NYC always impresses me with the degree to which things are run down and broken. And I love NYC.

Being from the NYC area and now living outside of SF, I can tell you that is so because NYC has harsh weather year round. We don't have that issue around these parts outside of some rain in the winter.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    That looks like my stomach after Thanksgiving dinner!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Watergate...

... and the circle is complete. Nobody can use something-gate for anything else.

Making Apple products waterproof sounds like a pretty good idea now I bet.
    logic368 wrote:
    That rain was amazing... i couldn't walk a block without getting soaked... it brought people together, all huddled under whatever we could find!

It's a good idea to have an umbrella just big enough for two to share with cute girls who don't have one. When the not-so-cute girls get near, just pretend it's not big enough. Reduced visibility adds some challenge to the extend/retract timing.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Install a zen waterfall with glowing Apple logo behind the water to channel the leak, burn some incense and play spacey new age music.

• Reply 12 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by multifoiled View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwam View Post

Being from the NYC area and now living outside of SF, I can tell you that is so because NYC has harsh weather year round. We don't have that issue around these parts outside of some rain in the winter.

Uh uh.... I live a few hours north of NYC where the weather is much harsher. Things are neither run-down nor broken.

NYC is just overpopulated, too built-up, has a creaking infrastructure (Sandy, anyone?), and large swathes of the city need a new coat of paint.

But the restaurants and entertainment are, by far, the best in the world! Cities in the West Coast are mere villages, by comparison! :-)

• Reply 13 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

I work about 5 blocks from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

Interesting half a world away, we had half the average rainfall for May over 48 hours.

I don't know if any Apple stores leaked.

• Reply 14 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

leak

Apple is Domed™

• Reply 15 of 17
    marokeromarokero Posts: 99member

Apple's Watergate? They got billions but they can't fix a water leak? image I fixed my roof after Sandy hit... next day, and for only $108. Hire me to find the leaks, but don't complain if the Fifth Ave cube has black tar splotches covering the top and base of the glass image

• Reply 16 of 17
    The Fifth Ave Apple Store was built on top of an open air sunken plaza in front of the GM Building. If you ever catch a re-run of "Crocodile Dundee" it's where he makes his "Now that's a knife" line to the mugger. I'm sure it was built well, but it is essential a covered up pit.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

That's not a real water leak.  It's just a promotional stunt for JBL's Creature speakers.