Top iOS apps earn 4.6x more than Android, but Google Play is gaining ground

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    jobsisgodjobsisgod Posts: 31member

Android apps usually have many free alternatives (with ads) to choose from and this will decrease the amount that people spend on apps.  That's why Apple's model is superior.  By screening apps and reducing the amount of redundant apps they are able to only list the best ones (that also happen to cost money).  Much smarter business model.

Android users are also broke asses who smell bad.  If they had lots of money they'd have gotten an iPhone to begin with.

• Reply 22 of 41
    stike vomitstike vomit Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Prove to me you own both an Android tablet and an iPad (and which ones) and I'll give you a list, troll. Otherwise I'm not wasting my time if you aren't even capable of downloading them to do a side-by-sde.

I personally own and use a Nexus 7. I also use an iPad 2, and an iPad 3 because somebody pays me to. So lets see your list, halfwit.

• Reply 23 of 41
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,487member
    I personally own and use a Nexus 7. I also use an iPad 2, and an iPad 3 because somebody pays me to. So lets see your list, halfwit.
    Sorry, troll. Claiming is not proof enough. Let's see a pic of both with this thread displayed on-screen. Then I'll pick some Apps for you to try.

There's no possible way anyone who has actually used both tablets could claim there wasn't a difference in App quality (and that Android is deficient compared to iOS for tablet Apps). So I'm going to call bs on you claiming experience with both until I see proof.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    The Macintosh had greater quality than early Windows computers and yet lost almost all its market share because Windows became the standard.

That is the exact same risk iOS runs now against Android.

Apple should not have allowed its rival to become this prevalent.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

They sued everyone, everywhere.

There is no "should not". What, Apple should have bombed their competitors? Killed the CEOs and their families in their sleep? They did everything they possibly could. Theft is now legal in our society.

• Reply 26 of 41

Quote:

Sorry, troll. Claiming is not proof enough. Let's see a pic of both with this thread displayed on-screen. Then I'll pick some Apps for you to try.

There's no possible way anyone who has actually used both tablets could claim there wasn't a difference in App quality (and that Android is deficient compared to iOS for tablet Apps). So I'm going to call bs on you claiming experience with both until I see proof.

Too add to this:

Dear troll,

Anyone can photoshop a picture or borrow a friend's tablet so a photo of both tablets and this thread may not be sufficient.  Please include receipts of purchase as well.  Pics of credit card (but blur out the first 12 digits for safety), a valid drivers license (blur out sensitive info), and a pic of your face are needed too.  None of this pretending to be someone else business.

• Reply 27 of 41
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

I do not understand how people like the author of this article can misunderstand simple math and the English language.

The article repeatedly says:

"Top iOS apps earn 4.6x more than Android"

The author, apparently, does not understand how the English language and the math are used to calculate the amount "times more than" number. Basically. he should have said:

"Top iOS apps earn 4.6x as much as Android"

If you believe that the author is right, calculate how much 4x more, 3x more, 2x more, and 1x more than $1.1 million are, and the flawed thinking should become evident.

• Reply 28 of 41

Quote:

The Macintosh had greater quality than early Windows computers and yet lost almost all its market share because Windows became the standard.

People who try to compare PC vs Mac to Android vs iOS need to relearn their computer history. They are nothing alike at all.

First off, the Macintosh never had a dominant position. At its best it peaked at slightly over 11% market share compared to PC's (late 80's, early 90's). The IBM PC came out 3 years before the Macintosh and had already sold more by the time the Macintosh debuted in 1984 than the original Macintosh sold in history. Not a few more, but around 3X as many.

So many people (especially fandroids) try to make it appear that the Macintosh dominated and then was taken over by PC's (usually due to PC's being customizable). They then try to project this "fantasy" version of history onto Android/iOS to make the claim that Android will dominate while iOS will become a very minor player (again, using the fake excuse of customizability).

The real facts are that PC's took off because there was more software. People didn't want to re-write applications to use the Macintosh GUI, so Apple was at a huge dis-advantage due to lack of software. Today we take software for granted as you can buy just about any computer you want and most common software will be available. Back in the early 80's this wasn't so. The general rule of thumb was to find the software you needed and then get the hardware that would run it. Great hardware is useless without software. This is why PC's took off, not because you could build your own or customize it how you wanted.

What fandroids hate about this argument is it shows why the App Store is superior to Google Play, especially with tablets. A tablet is a new type of computing advice, and unlike a PC you can't just buy one and expect to have all the software you need available. So now the tables have turned and the same dis-advantage the original Macintosh had (lack of software) is now a huge advantage for the iPad and a problem for Android tablets.

• Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

Too add to this:

Dear troll,

Anyone can photoshop a picture or borrow a friend's tablet so a photo of both tablets and this thread may not be sufficient.  Please include receipts of purchase as well.  Pics of credit card (but blur out the first 12 digits for safety), a valid drivers license (blur out sensitive info), and a pic of your face are needed too.  None of this pretending to be someone else business.

No. A pic of two tablets is good enough - I don't even care if both are his friends. As long as he has access to play around on them. When I give him a few Apps to compare he can come back and tell us the differences. This is when we'll find out just how full of it he is.

I'm still surprised at the stupidity of trolls on AI. It's like they actually believe the stereotype that Apple users don't understand tech. Or that nobody here would own an Android device (I have several) or have any knowledge of Android (I used to develop for it).

The truth will come out. I see only two ways this can go:

- strike vomit pulls a KDarling and never comes back to this thread.

- strike vomit tries out the Apps and has to concede that the Android versions are inferior.

- strike vomit claims to have tried the Apps and tries to BS that they're not really any different.

• Reply 30 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Or, y'know, you could just name a couple of apps to back up your own claim (should be easy if its as clear cut as yo say) and quit with all the hostility.

Oh, but of course...

Trolls! TROLLS! TROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLS!!!
  • Reply 31 of 41

Quote:

No. A pic of two tablets is good enough - I don't even care if both are his friends. As long as he has access to play around on them. When I give him a few Apps to compare he can come back and tell us the differences. This is when we'll find out just how full of it he is.

I'm still surprised at the stupidity of trolls on AI. It's like they actually believe the stereotype that Apple users don't understand tech. Or that nobody here would own an Android device (I have several) or have any knowledge of Android (I used to develop for it).

The truth will come out. I see only two ways this can go:

- strike vomit tries out the Apps and has to concede that the Android versions are inferior.

- strike vomit claims to have tried the Apps and tries to BS that they're not really any different.

If he just borrows a friend's iPad that will give an unfair advantage to his Android tablet as he'll be more accustomed to how it operates.  While the iPad is way more intuitive and overall a better device, that's a big disadvantage to go up against.  He should really have to prove ownership so that we know he's familiar with both.  If nothing else, that should be factored into the results as he's already stated he owns a Nexus 7.

• Reply 32 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    512ke wrote: »

The Mac never had that much market share to begin with. (Consider that the Apple II was still being sold until the nineties!) Not only that, Apple never had much profit share either.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ursadorable

From experience with my Nexus 7, I've always found Android apps to be of subpar quality compared to iOS apps (for the most part).
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Name these "subpar" apps.</span>
    What part of "always" do you not understand?
  • Reply 34 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I see only two ways this can go:

Oy, are we going to be able to flow chart map the way they respond as well as what they say? I suppose so, huh? It's always so predictable.

• Reply 35 of 41
    Regardless of it being Google Play or the App Store, it's getting harder to sell apps both places. Making real money, at least for most devs, is going to boil down to how free apps can be better monetized with mobile ads. In the long run, I'll bet on Android for that. Why? Market share is bigger, Android mobile ad formats and ad networks (like Airpush) are superior, Android tablets are becoming huge for mobile gamers, etc. Hell, Android is now powering half of all the smartphones in China! That reach is ginormous!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Regardless of it being Google Play or the App Store, it's getting harder to sell apps both places. Making real money, at least for most devs, is going to boil down to how free apps can be better monetized with mobile ads. In the long run, I'll bet on Android for that. Why? Market share is bigger, Android mobile ad formats and ad networks (like Airpush) are superior, Android tablets are becoming huge for mobile gamers, etc. Hell, Android is now powering half of all the smartphones in China! That reach is ginormous!

And yet IOS has more ad impressions, developers make more money on iOS...
  • Reply 37 of 41

Originally Posted by Bartascious View Post

Ad impression is hard to read in china. Google play is non existent in china. While have of the phones run android they do not count toward's google's activation and they don't use google's ad services. I find it actually entertaining that android dominates China and Google can't even touch it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsisgod View Post

Android users are also broke asses who smell bad.  If they had lots of money they'd have gotten an iPhone to begin with.

Please don't generalize. In the United States people with money still chose more expensive android and windows phones over an iPhone for various reasons. Need I remind you that the iphone 4 is .99 cents with a contract. Yet people still pay money to buy an android instead of that iphone. Would the people who do chose to buy the iPhone 4 also be considered cheap? Economics does not play a large roll in smart phone selection as you think it does. Hell the Note 2 is selling millions and it's entry price is one hundred dollars more then the entry level of the competing iPhone 5. Those people with money are making a decision to purchase an android over an iphone and there are not over 3 million ihaters fueling this

• Reply 38 of 41
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Name these "subpar" apps.</span>
    Any of the catch-up tv apps we have in the UK. And please name an office app on android that comes even close to iWork on the iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

The causes for Microsoft's OS becoming a standard was due to IBM bringing Microsoft to the table and letting them sell the OS to every box assembler on the planet. In the case of iOS vs Android there is no such industry heavyweight in the picture. Actually, Apple is becoming the standard iOS as more and more industries and institutions prefer it to other OSes.

If iOS should suddenly have fingerprint identification, then industries and institutions will find it more comfortable to support. Apple is out to be the market leader but not by trying to compete on price with Android crap hardware, but on pushing the iOS advantages and ecosystem. 

• Reply 40 of 41
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    ...please don't generalize...

Sorry... but "generally speaking" a large number of potential customers thru out "the rest of the world" use pre-paid or PAYG plans i.e. no contracts.

$0.99 doesn't "purchase" a whole lot of iPhone. Although there are ~$20.00 *Androids to be had. Just sayin'.........;)

* Reality does NOT influence my preference in the least. iPhone only here.