Apple tells reseller new Mac Pro coming in spring 2013

Comments

• Reply 461 of 529
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed wizard69, people can simply get a $29 adapter if needed

I don't know if you've ever had to use one of those. They're not very good. Just look at the Apple Store. Adapters are generally some of the lowest rated items for a reason.

• Reply 462 of 529
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

Quote:

That may be so but the local Apple store only has one iMac and a Mini on display, are you going to be happy if those are no longer available too? It just isn't good for a company like Apple to let a lineup like the desktops languish and age on the vine. 

If your solution is the answer, why hasn't Apple done it, Wizard? :P

The iMac is selling 1 million or near enough desktops.  'Glorious' enough for those users...  See Apple's 'glorious' marketing for details.  Plenty of small business have them.  (If they want something even cheaper, try the mini...)  It doesn't matter if you think it is a joke.  Your thinking is old.  And that you use Kodak as an example is a prime example of this.

Go past the Apple store again.  And see what they sell.  

Let me know if that changes in the next ten years.  (Let's try this scenario..., 'Apple launches Dave's mythical and somewhat (hey, it's Apple...) accessible tinker box for an affordable price with decent gpu...into a shrinking desktop market...yet they can't be arsed to make a new Mac Pro?'  Hhahahahaha...sorry.  Doesn't sound right, does it?)

You'll buy a £2k+ 'new' pro (if they ever make one...) or a Haswell Mini.  You'll like it.  Or lump it.  (You can have Apple's 'mid range' desktop/tower solutions, top end Mac Mini or an iMac...don't want it?)

....you can buy a laptop. :P

An AIO iPad/laptop user 'whining' about an X-Mac Apple have no intention of making.  ...and critical of the AIO iMac.  Ironic.  

Buy an iMac and you'll have an unholy trinity, Wizard.  

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 463 of 529
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If your solution is the answer, why hasn't Apple done it, Wizard? :P
    Who really knows? I'm on the east coast, I don't think I've ever run into an Apple employee other than store personnel. I can just as well ask why Apple hasn't put serious effort into the Mini or the Mac Pro. By the way a declining market isn't an excuse here. For one thing the market hasn't really declined for Apple.
    The iMac is selling 1 million or near enough desktops.
    IMac sales have been flat for some time with the Mini and the Pro in decline. You should ask yourself why after taking a serious look at Apples line up. There is considerably more value for the consumer in their laptop line up and that has been the case for a long time now. Hell in most of Apples laptops with a hard disk bay it is easier to change that disk than it is in an iMac.
     'Glorious' enough for those users...  See Apple's 'glorious' marketing for details.  Plenty of small business have them.  (If they want something even cheaper, try the mini...)  It doesn't matter if you think it is a joke.  
    Here you go again trying to put words into my mouth. The Mini isn't a joke but it is very much less than ideal for my needs in its current form. If you can't understand that people have needs that the iMac doesn't address i would imagine we will never see eye to eye.

Your thinking is old.  And that you use Kodak as an example is a prime example of this.
    Not at all the concepts are the same.
    Go past the Apple store again.  And see what they sell.  
    Lots of laptops.
    Let me know if that changes in the next ten years.  (Let's try this scenario..., 'Apple launches Dave's mythical and somewhat (hey, it's Apple...) accessible tinker box for an affordable price with decent gpu...into a shrinking desktop market...yet they can't be arsed to make a new Mac Pro?'  Hhahahahaha...sorry.  Doesn't sound right, does it?)
    The new Mac Pro or a replacement device for the Mac Pro is coming.
    You'll buy a £2k+ 'new' pro (if they ever make one...) or a Haswell Mini.  You'll like it.  Or lump it.  (You can have Apple's 'mid range' desktop/tower solutions, top end Mac Mini or an iMac...don't want it?)
    Here is the problem with the Mini, with a little bit of tweaking it could very well be passable as the type of computer I could make good use of. Will Apple do that little bit of tweaking, I certainly can't say but the Minis stagnate nature certainly isn't helping it in the marketplace.

Your mentality reminds me of Detroit of the seventies and eighties. The same basic crap year after year and keep ones head in the sand ignoring the innovation from all across the globe. All I'm really asking for is a little innovation on the desktop and a better value equation, after a decade it is about time
    ....you can buy a laptop. :P
    I might just do that again if they remain the only rational bit of value in Apples line up. In many ways I'm very happy with my old MBP as it has held up well but at this point isn't worth investing a lot of money.
    An AIO iPad/laptop user 'whining' about an X-Mac Apple have no intention of making.  ...and critical of the AIO iMac.  Ironic.  
    Nothing ironic about it really. With the iPad I really have a better mobile solution for my needs than a laptop. It would make sense to pair it with a desktop. However that desktop really needs to be worth the money and it has to be suitable for other uses I wouldn't put a laptop to.
    Buy an iMac and you'll have an unholy trinity, Wizard.  
    At this point I can't see my self buying an iMac any time soon. apple is simply going in the wrong direction with that platform. You may wish to champion the machine but I see it as the exact opposite of what I need.
    Lemon Bon Bon.

Have a happy.
  • Reply 464 of 529

Just to let everyone on this thread know.

June 6-9th will be the days new banners get placed at the West Moscone Center in San Fran ready for the Apple WWDC 13 Event.

To see if any of our predictions came true let's just wait... I'm sure there will be iOS 7 and Mac OS X updates, possibly new macs with Wifi AC and haswell chips, a new G5 Cube or Mac Pro Tower, and maybe some new services like the supposedly coming iRadio... but this is all speculation from various sources around the web so nothing is solid intel.

Other than that I have one more thing to share... HAVE YOU GUYS USED MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS? Holy moly they're awesome!!! Apple should sell some because they're way better than any other keyboard I've ever used.

My baby. It's time you all stopped using your crappy rubber dome keyboards and move on to a real man's keyboard. Well actually this is the most basic one I could find for me that was simplistic. They work for like 10 years. Best purchase ever.

• Reply 465 of 529
    Just to let everyone on this thread know.
    June 6-9th will be the days new banners get placed at the West Moscone Center in San Fran ready for the Apple WWDC 13 Event.
    Not far away at all!
    To see if any of our predictions came true let's just wait... I'm sure there will be iOS 7 and Mac OS X updates, possibly new macs with Wifi AC and haswell chips, a new G5 Cube
    G5 Cube? Is that a sign of old age and the mind wandering?
    or Mac Pro Tower, and maybe some new services like the supposedly coming iRadio... but this is all speculation from various sources around the web so nothing is solid intel.
    I suspect we will see much at WWDC this year including banking through Passbook. As far as new tech it could be one of the biggest WWDCs in a long time.
    Other than that I have one more thing to share... HAVE YOU GUYS USED MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS? Holy moly they're awesome!!! Apple should sell some because they're way better than any other keyboard I've ever used.
    A good keyboard is a wonderful thing no matter the tech inside.
    My baby. It's time you all stopped using your crappy rubber dome keyboards and move on to a real man's keyboard. Well actually this is the most basic one I could find for me that was simplistic. They work for like 10 years. Best purchase ever.

Honest I'd rather see Apple spend money on voice input and a real system AI. Siri is nice and all but the trip to Apples servers really undermines the utility of the feature and of course Siri isn't on the Mac.
  • Reply 466 of 529
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Keyboard reviews in a Mac Pro thread. Okay

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/25695/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 467 of 529

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honest I'd rather see Apple spend money on voice input and a real system AI. Siri is nice and all but the trip to Apples servers really undermines the utility of the feature and of course Siri isn't on the Mac.

I've wondered about that too a while ago... now that Google has a voice search feature on Chrome I thought it would be cool to put her into Notification Center on Mac OS X then I remembered I don't really like talking to computers and would rather wait until a device can read my mind and input the query into google. That's where the future is...

I also think server computers running tons of GPU's and CPU's somewhere in a company server room streaming the feeds to our monitors like in Tron. All we would have to buy is a monitor and the company would do the rest through our internet connections.

But for being retro and not wanting having everything saved on the cloud we would be offered to save our stuff at a home Hard drive connected to their cloud.

The need for hardware will be less when internet speeds are faster is my assumption. but the AI would have to be built on a chip and the HD at home so it would be fast.

But so far no Linux system runs this way or any OS is built to run like this.

Quote:

I suspect we will see much at WWDC this year including banking through Passbook. As far as new tech it could be one of the biggest WWDCs in a long time.

Well it was sold out in minutes and tickets cost more than a grand so it better be worth it for those who bought them... of course they're developers and get a 4 day help pass so they absolutely will get their money's worth if their apps sell high though and if not they just lost 1 grand.

And yes. Everyone knows it's the 10th, so Media Coverage will be higher than usual Apple Keynotes because they want to see what iOS 7 will be like in the fall.

I also expect news on some new Mac or a new product line besides Apple TV this year but that could be released until Fall. There will be a newer version of the Airport with Wifi AC though sometime this year or the next.Something like this would be great.

Or this..

I'll be sitting in my desk watching it over their live stream on the Apple website if they have it and if not I'll just follow it in text by text on the verge with someone else's video stream simultaneously like I did last years. I can't wait to see what's new at Apple. To Me WWDC is like Christmas. I love it.

• Reply 468 of 529
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Come on guys. Back in the old days, we would have started a specific WWDC thread a month ago.

• Reply 469 of 529
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
  • Reply 470 of 529
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Maybe brand spanking new fire breathing Mac Pros in a redesigned chassis.

More compact & rack mountable for those who need it.

PCI-Express SSD for the boot drive!

Single & dual CPU models; both Xeon & 'regular' CPU choices on the single CPU models…

Integrated GPU standard, latest & greatest of both nVidia & ATI GPUs (w/SLI & CrossFire support) available as BTO; both high end consumer/gaming & high end workstation class of GPUs available.

Also, new 30" Retina (4k) Thunderbolt displays …!

• Reply 471 of 529
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    macronin wrote: »

I don't see them ever doing that. Besides, they have no need for this themselves as they don't use Macs for their own server farms

Already available:

Single & dual CPU models; both Xeon & 'regular' CPU choices on the single CPU models…

That is actually their current lineup.
    Integrated GPU standard, latest & greatest of both nVidia & ATI GPUs (w/SLI & CrossFire support) available as BTO; both high end consumer/gaming & high end workstation class of GPUs available.

Saywhat? iGPU? That's for consumer products.

They EOL-ed the 30'' CD with 4 million pixels in 2010. I hope they'll find a way to improve on this, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Reply 472 of 529
    macronin wrote: »
    If there isn't a completely new Mac Pro Apple will have screwed up terribly.
    A convertible design is absolutely needed. I could see a half width rack unit as an ideal size for a "compute module".
    In the Mac Pro they would need a "drive" bigger than just a boot drive. More importantly they need to set a new standard for such cards.
    Yep.
    To support TB rhe GPU will be on the motherboard if that is what you mean.

I'm not sure TB could support such a display. I suppose they cold use both channels to send video data.
  • Reply 473 of 529
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

To support TB rhe GPU will be on the motherboard if that is what you mean.

It might work either way. I suspect it's easier to integrate if the GPU is on the motherboard. That's less of a longer term design constraint, as thunderbolt seems like it was designed with highly integrated hardware in mind.

• Reply 474 of 529
    hmm wrote: »
    It might work either way. I suspect it's easier to integrate if the GPU is on the motherboard. That's less of a longer term design constraint, as thunderbolt seems like it was designed with highly integrated hardware in mind.

Well in a very real sense high integrations is the way of the future and always has been with semiconductor technology. We are basically in the beginnings of the System on Chip era, a process shrink or two more and we will have very little on the mother board besides power supplies and RAM. With Haswell integrated Intel GPUs start to become good enough for a good portion of the user space. Even a half node shrink would improve that proportion even more.

Lets say though that they do, do a full node shrink for the next series of chips. Does Intel double the CPu and GPU complex, or do they modesty improve them and add yet more external logic? I'm expecting at least some products focused on much higher integration.
  • Reply 475 of 529
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

In the Mac Pro they would need a "drive" bigger than just a boot drive. More importantly they need to set a new standard for such cards.

Mac Pros can have more than one drive. 

• Reply 476 of 529
    conrail wrote: »
    Mac Pros can have more than one drive. 

I think you missed most of my points here. The idea is that Pros need large BOOT drives to accommodate their large installed base of apps. The SSDs that Apple currently use would be considered small for most pro usage. The second issue is that disk drive physical formats are legacy designs for rotating media. As such we really need a new industry standard slot for SSDs on plug in PCB. The current arrangement of PCI cards is less than ideal for internal only storage cards. Especially if you want a card format that works equally well in the new Mac Pro, the iMac and the Mini.
  • Reply 477 of 529
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I think you missed most of my points here. The idea is that Pros need large BOOT drives to accommodate their large installed base of apps. The SSDs that Apple currently use would be considered small for most pro usage. 

What about a Fusion Drive with a 256 SSD and a 4TB HDD?

• Reply 478 of 529
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

What about a Fusion Drive with a 256 SSD and a 4TB HDD?

Make it 512 GB minimum imho.
  • Reply 479 of 529
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Make it 512 GB minimum imho.

That's what the 4TB HDD is for! image

• Reply 480 of 529
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    That's what the 4TB HDD is for! :lol:

Yeah but 256 standard is too low in my view. 2 years ago it was fine, now it's time to double that. By Skylake time, bring on 1 TB.