Google announces acquisition of mapping & traffic service Waze

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.
  • Reply 42 of 130
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why don't you post 3D shots of the Rose Bowl, Hoover Dam, and the Palace of Versailles, for a start... Using any current or beta Google Maps/Earth (whatever), running on the desktop, web or mobile... Then, let's compare with current iOS 6 running on an iPad 4 .

I was never arguing which one is better at 3D. It's clearly Apple Maps that's better. I wish Google got as much crap as Apple did so that they'd spend the time perfecting each city.

My original point was only that there is no way can anyone say Google maps copied Apple maps' vector based system or 3D buildings. It's BS. Google maps had user generated buildings for 5 years now and announced auto generated buildings at the same time as Apple.

• Reply 43 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

I don't see why all the hate towards google.

Really?

• Reply 44 of 130
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You're head isn't that deeply buried in the sand is it?

Google announced the 'flyover' before apple did (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22411)

Google has had vector based maps since 2010 (http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/07/google-maps-5-0-for-android-goes-vector-for-faster-loading-zoom/)

You guys are all insane.

You may be the insane one.  Why did they just announce adding vector for android unless they went backwards and decided to return. And they announced flyover  days before Apple's announcement after all of the leaks said what Apple was going to announce.  Notice how long it took to copy it.  They were just trying to divert attention.

Actually they were holding Apple, who helped them improve their mobile maps, back by limiting them to tile based maps.  Google did not have vectors as a part of the OS until 6 months after Apple's maps were released.  Their developers were being limited just like Apple was.     http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/android-apps-get-vector-maps/

• Reply 45 of 130

Yes really?

• Reply 46 of 130
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

You may be the insane one.  Why did they just announce adding vector for android unless they went backwards and decided to return. And they announced flyover  days before Apple's announcement after all of the leaks said what Apple was going to announce.  Notice how long it took to copy it.  They were just trying to divert attention.

They didn't just announced vector based maps for android. They did that 3 years ago and it's been that way ever since. You must be confusing it for the desktop version.

• Reply 47 of 130
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Shalom, Waze.

I was willing to share my geographic location to contribute to more complete traffic data, but when it's going to be used to bombard me with ads, you can take your app and shove it!

And seeing how Google was all too happy to participate in the PRISM program, I certainly don't want to make it so easy to be tracked by the government.  Tyranny is upon us.  Bush started it and Obama has failed to set us free.

• Reply 48 of 130
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Google:  taking the "innovation" page from Microsoft by simply purchasing developers. Wooooooooooo, impressive.

You do know most companies have done this, including Apple.

Unlike most drama queens I won't be deleting the app off my phone. If further down the line the app changes into something terrible though I will be.

• Reply 49 of 130
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Salvador Dali renders ....

+1.

• Reply 50 of 130
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.

Nice sarcasm there! image

• Reply 51 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

He is serious. Apple introduced vector maps and 3D flyovers. A year later, Google introduced vector maps and airborne flyovers...

Vector maps were on android long before Apple introduce it.  Not to be confuse with the old map apps on iOS, which was lagging a lot of new map features already available on Android.

Regarding there 3D flyover, are they scanning the ground with planes?  How does Google do it?   That could be something Apple did first indeed.

• Reply 52 of 130
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Make sure you delete your account before you get rid of your Waze app.

When you request an account deletion, they ask you why you want to leave, and I made it clear that the Google acquisition disgusted me.

• Reply 53 of 130
    Very very bad news
  • Reply 54 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

You do know most companies have done this, including Apple.

No way, really?  ZOMG!!!!!1! 

Google has really been making a rather large commitment to it lately though by purchasing huge blocks of IP and patents while also gobbling up smaller companies at the same time they have eliminated the engineering 20% project policy and are killing off a large number of home grown Labs projects.  Come now, surely all of this shift in direction at el Goog hasn't escaped you has it? 

• Reply 55 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

That was certainly worth a laugh!  About the only devastation caused by Apple Maps would be to renditions of bridges and roads!

You mean like the much worse implementation Google released last month?  LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/googles-new-3d-maps-destroy-manhattan-in-the-wake-of-apples-flyover

• Reply 56 of 130
    Same.

Obviously, Google Maps isn't nearly as good as the shills would have one believe otherwise the blatant copying of Apple Maps in the latest Google Maps Beta and the purchase of Waze would be unnecessary.

Mercedes updates even the S Class. And you're a fool if you think that Google maps is a copy of Apple maps since the Apple version is the copy.
  • Reply 57 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You clearly know nothing about this. You live in your Apple world with your head in the sand.

Google maps for desktop which Apple doesn't have, is a recent beta that added a limited 45 degree 3D function.

Google earth for android has had the full every angle you want for months. This was demonstrated at a Google event before Apple maps was released. Nice try tho.

Well, Apple also does have a desktop 3d map beta because its the new OS-X. It went beta yesterday. btw Iove there new integration of the desktop map with the mobile map. Very well done imo.

• Reply 58 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

It's not a defensive move, it's offensive, and blatantly so. Google does not need waze, certainly not for that price. Google are biters and scratchers. They are this way to make up for their lack of originality, and their insecurity after failing time and time again to come up with true innovations ala Apple. They throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. That's not creativity. When they fail, they use their financial recourses and internet dominance to strong arm others. I don't think the paid trolls and journalists are coming only from samsung. It's a style of management that began with schmitt, and which tweedle dee and tweedle dum are dutifully perpetuating. Do no evil my ass.

The do no evil is basically, Don't look over here, theres nothing to see.  We would never do evil.

• Reply 59 of 130

They only made it available to developers 6 months after apple. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/googles-new-3d-maps-destroy-manhattan-in-the-wake-of-apples-flyover.

I'm not convinced they actually implemented either. This is the only article that speaks of it anywhere on the internet and it says it is to get it not that it was ever released.  They even removed all mention of the features for each version.  

• Reply 60 of 130
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Google has been collecting traffic data for years.  I'm interested to see what comes from this acquisition.