Google announces acquisition of mapping & traffic service Waze

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    steven n. wrote: »
    The traffic data is so-so and it re-routed wrong for me both times I used it.

'Both times'. The first and last, you mean?
    steelraven wrote: »
    I don't see why all the hate towards google.

Really?

That's what Glass can do to you!

Also if I open the maps app it remembers the search I did.

Amazing isn't it? Google implemented cookies. "Cookies!" I say!
  • Reply 82 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    genovelle wrote: »
    You may be the insane one.  Why did they just announce adding vector for android unless they went backwards and decided to return. And they announced flyover  days before Apple's announcement after all of the leaks said what Apple was going to announce.  Notice how long it took to copy it.  They were just trying to divert attention.

Actually they were holding Apple, who helped them improve their mobile maps, back by limiting them to tile based maps.  Google did not have vectors as a part of the OS until 6 months after Apple's maps were released.  Their developers were being limited just like Apple was.     http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/android-apps-get-vector-maps/

You obviously didn't read the article.
    Google has just announced the new Google Maps API that will let Android developers use the same vector-based data that Google Maps has been using for some time.
  • Reply 83 of 130
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    You're head isn't that deeply buried in the sand is it?

Google announced the 'flyover' before apple did (<a href="http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22411" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22411</a>;
    )
    Google has had vector based maps since 2010 (<a href="http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/07/google-maps-5-0-for-android-goes-vector-for-faster-loading-zoom/" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/07/google-maps-5-0-for-android-goes-vector-for-faster-loading-zoom/</a>;
    )

You guys are all insane.

But was it available on iOS that long ago or just Android like turn by turn?
  • Reply 84 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no way they paid 1B.
  • Reply 85 of 130
    isteelers wrote: »

You have to remember that the iOS maps app was built by Apple using Google's map data. Is there any proof that Apple requested to include turn by turn and was told no?
  • Reply 86 of 130
    "As of April, Waze had more than 40 million people actively using its service and contributing data"

And after announcement, 20-30 Mill, after ads and messing with program, 5-10Mill.

Well, off to look for alternative app's... I'm going to miss my crown... :(

• Reply 87 of 130
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    "[B]Is there any proof that Apple requested to include turn by turn and was told no?"[/B]

Tim said in an interview that one of the reasons they rushed out the new Apple maps wa so they could add turn by turn directions. I'll bet there was some kind of restriction in the original agreement that Google held them too. Google probably figured that was a great marketing point for Android and there was nothing Apple could do. I think they severely underestimated how much Apple hates to be dicked by software vendors.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    philboogie wrote: »
    App deleted on my iPhone.

That is not enough. People need to voice their concern with the FTC. Google, Tom Tom, Navteq, and Waze are the only US companies with mapping data. Google taking over one of those companies does not benefit consumers.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    Tim said in an interview that one of the reasons they rushed out the new Apple maps wa so they could add turn by turn directions. I'll bet there was some kind of restriction in the original agreement that Google held them too. Google probably figured that was a great marketing point for Android and there was nothing Apple could do. I think they severely underestimated how much Apple hates to be dicked by software vendors.

How does a 'restriction in the original agreement' (if there was one) equate to being 'dicked'?
  • Reply 90 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You're head isn't that deeply buried in the sand is it?

Google announced the 'flyover' before apple did (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22411)

Google has had vector based maps since 2010 (http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/07/google-maps-5-0-for-android-goes-vector-for-faster-loading-zoom/)

You guys are all insane.

The shitty version they released for iOS did not have that until Apple kicked them out and they crawled back with an updated version they should have released years ago.

Listen mate, Google are just another advertising business who track people for money, there is no reason to defend everything they do like a doe eyed teenage girl at a one direction concert.

• Reply 91 of 130
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have the New Beta Google Maps. I experimented with it for about a week but then lost interest -- it is somewhere loosely between old Google Maps and Google Earth -- not particularly well implemented or very exciting compared to the current OSX apps.

IMO, Apple Maps on an iPad is superior to both.

Early this AM, I installed OSX Maverick. Apple Maps on the desktop blows all of them away (even iOS 6 Maps on an iPad 4).... You just can't compare the ease, beauty and fun of Apple 3D Flyover with anything else out there... Nothing comes close!

I'm also a beta tester on the new Google Maps. Honestly, I hate what they've done. It's far less user friendly and I abandoned it after less than one day of use.

I'm actually a bit jealous you have Mavericks. (people need to get used to including that "s")  ;)

• Reply 92 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ireland wrote: »
    There's no way they paid 1B.

They paid 12.5B for Moto mob.
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You have to remember that the iOS maps app was built by Apple using Google's map data. Is there any proof that Apple requested to include turn by turn and was told no?

Why wouldn't Apple want that? Google probably demanded more user data and more ads space in the app.
  • Reply 93 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Mercedes updates even the S Class. And you're a fool if you think that Google maps is a copy of Apple maps since the Apple version is the copy.

Copy of what?

Nokia maps?

• Reply 94 of 130
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Google had vector maps on Android way before Apple used it, and most 'satellite' views were from a flyover, and vectoring wasn't in the iPhone maps app because Apple chose for it not to be until they made their own app.

Satellite views =/= Flyover,

Also, source? Or were you there in the back room meetings?

• Reply 95 of 130
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.

You don't see why all the hate toward Google? For real? Hint: It's not about *maps* part but *Google* part.

On topic.

Deleted from mine also. Can't wait for Maverick's Send Direction To My iPhone.

• Reply 96 of 130
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I take that as it wasn't on iOS then.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    isteelers wrote: »
    I take that as it wasn't on iOS then.

Well it is now from Apple and Google.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

That's the part that annoyed me: while understandable that bias towards "their" OS supported devices chafed.

• Reply 99 of 130
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Re: "granularity"? On my iPhone 5 the line weight is proportional to the traffic interuption. At least that's what I see on highway routes, which are my main commuting routes of interest. Nope, just took a peek at a surface street section and there's differing red line-weights there as well.

Hmmm, I haven't noticed any differences in the line weights (I use an iPad 3).  I guess my issue is that the Apple Maps don't have the equivalent of the green line shown by Google Maps.  Those road segments on Apple Maps with no traffic lines either mean free flow traffic or no data.  There's no easy way to differentiate. 

• Reply 100 of 130
    hill60 wrote: »
    Copy of what?

Nokia maps?

According to the people on this site, anything that isn't first to market in any category is a copy. If Google was first to market in mobile mapping then Apple copied Google. If it was Nokia then that was who Apple copied.