iOS 7 beta: Testers warned when using uncertified Lightning cables

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Developers testing Apple's first beta of iOS 7 will receive a warning prompt on the screen when using an unauthorized Lightning cable to charge or sync.

Lightning

Because the software is in beta and is only available to developers to test, it's possible that the warning could be changed or completely removed by the time iOS 7 ships to the public. But at the moment, the operating system presents a prompt that reads:

"This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."

Testers can simply dismiss the warning, and the Lightning cable, if functional, will still work as expected.

AppleInsider was first to reveal last September that Apple's new Lightning connector features embedded authentication chips. That meant unauthorized third-party accessory makers had to spend more time reverse engineering Apple's official Lightning cables before non-certified accessories could hit the market.

Apple has displayed similar warning messages in the past to iOS device users who plug in legacy unauthorized 30-pin connection cables. But the new warning in the first beta of iOS 7 marks the first time such a message has been associated with the new Lightning connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Good. Now Apple probably has a strong(er) legal foundation for the lawsuit when these cables fry people's devices.

Also, I like this modal popup they're using. I wish the Phone app matched it in style instead of being, well, like Windows 8.

• Reply 2 of 26
    jinjo235jinjo235 Posts: 17member
    I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting... [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26612/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 26
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    jinjo235 wrote: »
    I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...

Ummm, you plugged it into a computer that you hadn't plugged into? Make up your mind! ;)
  • Reply 4 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jinjo235 wrote: »
    I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting... [IMG

Funny that. Access to all its data.

Can you now browse your phone through the Finder¿
  • Reply 5 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Funny that. Access to all its data.

Can you now browse your phone through the Finder¿

There are lots of third party utilities that can.  It's probably just the first time you connect to a strange computer.

• Reply 6 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    There are lots of third party utilities that can.  It's probably just the first time you connect to a strange computer.

There are? Didn't know that. I have no need for it, but if it works on non jailbroken devices one could download their SMS and voicemail, which could be nice for some folks.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This makes a lot of sense. Apple should extend this trend to things such as power blocks. Those cheap knock offs sold on Amazon do not work correctly with grounding technology Apple use causing screeds of threads in blogs complaining MBPs tingle when touched ... and most writers being clueless as to why, blaming Apple. :no:

The worst part of this is the official Apple Support blog is full of this sort of thing. I have long felt Apple should monitor those posts, many folks assume stuff there is true by default.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Both pop ups in this thread are nice. I also like that they don't purposefully break compatibility.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I've received the below pop up when plugging it into a computer I hadn't plugged it into yet. Thought it was interesting...

Think about all those free charging stations at airports, etc.

Now consider that someone could have a computer there behind it, sucking down all your data.

Having the phone authorize the computer to do that is a good thing, right?

• Reply 10 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    My guess is that the cable warning will stay due to the whole 'I can put malware in a lighting cable' thing.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    charlituna wrote: »
    My guess is that the cable warning will stay due to the whole 'I can put malware in a lighting cable' thing.

Really? I had never heard of that. Good to know, though.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good. Now Apple probably has a strong(er) legal foundation for the lawsuit when these cables fry people's devices.

Also, I like this modal popup they're using. I wish the Phone app matched it in style instead of being, well, like Windows 8.

Tell 'em. They might fix it.

• Reply 13 of 26
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

JESUS CHRIST IS THAT WHAT iOS 7 LOOKS LIKE?! 

• Reply 14 of 26
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    akf2000 wrote: »

Don't judge based on someone's chosen desktop layout. It takes some getting used to but I'd say things that I use feel closer than 6.x. It's pretty damned stable for a first beta. Check out the keynote.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/
  • Reply 15 of 26
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Cool to know... I guess my 3rd party cables are legit as I've tried 2 and not gotten this warning.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What is with all these people who don't even go to Apple.com?!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Don't judge based on someone's chosen desktop layout. It takes some getting used to but I'd say things that I use feel closer than 6.x. It's pretty damned stable for a first beta. Check out the keynote.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

that Music icon stands out as being horrible, it looks like the bloody thumbprint of a murderer.

• Reply 18 of 26
    that Music icon stands out as being horrible, it looks like the bloody thumbprint of a murderer.

7 darkens or blurs the background when the focus is on a foreground element so I think that's what your seeing. Another Example - swiping to unlock puts the complete background out of focus. It creates a nice layering or 3D effect. The colo[]rs are quite vivid. I'm colorblind so I probably can't appreciate them as most and I'm certainly not seeing the same things as the opti-typical.
  • Reply 19 of 26

You sheep ought to enjoy this site, especially the section about everyone's favorite loser, the one and only, who cannot even afford iPhone5, Tallest Skil:

http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

• Reply 20 of 26
    Deleted: No longer relevant. Thanks Mods!