Apple's Federighi thrust into spotlight with successful WWDC keynote performance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I thought the digs at the old skew designs were funny. Virtual cows, green felt and the screen not falling off when they removed the stitching, brilliant.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I still think "not innovate anymore my ass!" is the highest point at the keynote. :)

Did anyone else notice the astute video director cut to a shot of Woz right after that crack?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    It was an excellent keynote from a mature and enduring design company that clearly has collaborative work NAILED!
    That was the vibe I took away...these guys all really dig working with each other. Craig, Phil et al.
    Actually brought tears to my eyes a few times. #greenwithenvy
  • Reply 44 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with all of this. Scott is doubtless a very talented engineer. I hope that, even as Nebuchadnezzer, a king no less, endured time in the wilderness, that Scott finds success in a place equally as challenging. :)

Just not Samsung or Google I hope ....
  • Reply 45 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Did anyone else notice the astute video director cut to a shot of Woz right after that crack?

Yes, I noticed that too.

I also noted that Woz seemed to show very little emotion while there, and didn't seem to be doing too much applauding while others did.

He appeared to give the impression that he was positively put out.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

In future WWDCs there will be a dual-speculation:

• what will be the name of the new Mac OS X?

• what hair pun will be in Federighi's Game Center account?

• Reply 47 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    During Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, the most stage time wasn't allotted CEO Tim Cook, or marketing head Phil Schiller, but to Craig Federighi, the software chief who stepped out from his "behind-the-scenes" role and into the spotlight..

Well, duh. It's a software developer's conference - who would you expect to be the main speaker?
  • Reply 48 of 90
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    He does great work and he presents well. I'd like to see him headline keynotes in the future, since Jony refuses to. Bet he has incredible stage fright.

Why do you suggest Ive has stage fright? He spoke in front of thousands at Jobs Apple memorial. He was quite funny. Maybe he just does not want to do it.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Lovely as Ive is, I don't think he'd be very good on stage.  His style is ponderous and thoughtful, he's not a salesman, and there need to be a salesman-esque dynamism on the stage.

I don't think Cook is great at it either, he speaks so damn slowly, and I don't think (I admit I'm guessing) that many people watching care much about his customer sat figures.

• Reply 50 of 90
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    gtr wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that too.

I also noted that Woz seemed to show very little emotion while there, and didn't seem to be doing too much applauding while others did.

What does that mean? Woz is still employed by Apple. He does not have to do anything, but they send him a check.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes...that was awesome!

• Reply 52 of 90
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

I thought Craig Federighi did an outstanding job....great presenter and entertaining to....lots of positive energy. I have said it before and will say it again...the more I see Tim Cook the more I like him........ 

• Reply 53 of 90
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    loved his keynote presentation - best presenter since Steve.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Also watching Tim was really nice. He has picked up some speed and seemed at ease, responding to the guy shouting "I love you" and stuff. It was nice.

I liked Steve's response better, back in the day: "Thanks. I think".

And Tim went from snail to turtle speed, so that's good.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Yes, I noticed that too.

I noticed that too.

What was he doing there anyway -- is he a developer now?
  • Reply 56 of 90
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I love colorful language but I don't think they should be that loose as to curse during a keynote. Schiller is typically fun to watch. I'll forgive him this one time...

He only said "ass", it's not like he dropped the F-bomb or something image. Personally, I think it was warranted because of all the trash-talking the press and tech blogs have been doing at Apple's expense. I think Craig did a great job and I dare say it felt (to me) like he was channeling Steve at times. As others have already mentioned, he seemed comfortable up there and exuded confidence in what he was doing and in the product he was demoing. Only thing I would have done differently is place a small table up there with a bottle of water on it. Eddie Cue, on the other hand, seemed extremely nervous.

• Reply 57 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    tbell wrote: »

What does that mean? Woz is still employed by Apple. He does not have to do anything, but they send him a check.

What does he do at Apple?
  • Reply 58 of 90
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    This I don't disagree but I and the other poster are talking about presentation skill and I think Forstall was as good as Craig.

Forstall had crazy eyes though. You can't discount that.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with all of this. Scott is doubtless a very talented engineer. I hope that, even as Nebuchadnezzer, a king no less, endured time in the wilderness, that Scott finds success in a place equally challenging. :)

So we can expect him to spend 7 years in the fields pretending he's a wolf or other animal?
  • Reply 60 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I remember how nervous he was for his first appearance, but even then he did a great job.

He seems like a pretty cool guy.

Yeah, I remember the first appearance and it wasn't really fair to judge him by that but that's usually all people get to see of them. It's just human nature to base things on the available info. This keynote changed everything and was really refreshing to see. Even when Steve was there, they started to get quite low key - Phil had to rouse the crowd directly in one of them by saying 'c'mon, let's have some energy' because I think the crowd was worried by how Steve looked.

This keynote gave the impression they've found their footing and they're ready to keep going. It reminded me of the old keynotes and it was nice to see a focus on the Mac not iOS. I think Scott was a good presenter but if he was disruptive to the team, that's not important because it would end up dragging them all down. It would just take one person in a senior position to have a hugely negative effect. The whole team there did a great job and they all seem happier.