Inside iOS 7: Calendar app comes with sterilized UI, few feature changes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    enatureenature Posts: 77member
    When gutless Tim Cook put Sir Ive, who had zero experience in software design, in charge of guess what... software design - things were bound to get silly, if not ugly, fast.

What many ardent fans of Sir Ive fail to realize is that he can be great - as long as Steve Jobs masterfully and gently constrains Jony's unbound creative urges. Without Steve Jobs, sadly, the Brit will do damage - and no one, and certainly not Tim Cook, will be there to restrain him.

Aside from Steve Jobs, there was one person who could stand up to Jony - Scott Forstall. But Tim Cook fired him. So prepare for more silliness coming to iOS. I hope Apple's bright spot, Mac OS, will be spared of Jony's "creativity."
  • Reply 42 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

... the Brit ...

Ah. That'll be it then. image

• Reply 43 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

What many ardent fans of Sir Ive fail to realize is that he can be great - as long as Steve Jobs masterfully and gently constrains Jony's unbound creative urges. 

Of course.  If there's one thing Steve Jobs is known for, it's gentleness with his colleagues.  And Jony Ive is a modern day Liberace with rampant extravagance.

• Reply 44 of 102
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 230member

i can confirm that Zulu calendars (Filemaker Plugin) doesn't works with iOS 7 beta.

i know its a beta but just letting anyone know who tries to update it to iOS 7 beta and start screaming… 

• Reply 45 of 102
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Quote:

When gutless Tim Cook put Sir Ive, who had zero experience in software design, in charge of guess what... software design - things were bound to get silly, if not ugly, fast.

What many ardent fans of Sir Ive fail to realize is that he can be great - as long as Steve Jobs masterfully and gently constrains Jony's unbound creative urges. Without Steve Jobs, sadly, the Brit will do damage - and no one, and certainly not Tim Cook, will be there to restrain him.

Aside from Steve Jobs, there was one person who could stand up to Jony - Scott Forstall. But Tim Cook fired him. So prepare for more silliness coming to iOS. I hope Apple's bright spot, Mac OS, will be spared of Jony's "creativity."

You should write drama, you certainly have a very active imagination.  It's just a shame it's all based on your own fiction.

• Reply 46 of 102
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

That is very one-sided opinion. Scott and Jony are most probably both pigheaded and if Scott would do the job properly, he wouldn't be ousted.

Tim Cook is also not gutless. He has different style and frankly speaking I started to like him more than Steve. Decision on putting Jony on this job was not emotional and I am pretty sure it was something that seemed as a best solution.

However, it doesn't mean I like iOS7 design very much. It is very contradictory in many ways and some apps are totally misguided. Like Calendar. While I don't like this thin and flat design I can also say that some of the Scott's apps were also overkill in opposite direction, as here are. Again the Cow-Calendar.

Jony is yet to convince us how icons and fonts, stripped down brutally going esthetically and logically together with paralax and other 3D animations. Until now I am only convinced with colors, flat I don't like anyway, fonts are less readable, buttons without borders look like HTML link and blurs are to heavy, diminishing the effect, because a thin font is needed to be seen...

But in any case: changes were needed, both in functionality and design. Scott failed on both fronts.

• Reply 47 of 102
    "Absolute deal breaker for me on the calendar app."

We're still 4 months out from release. I'm sure Apple wants (and will get) this feedback from heavy calendar users. It's not a deal breaker until the ink is dry.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Actually, this would be year, month, and day views, with week view missing (if it exists)

Try rotating, buddy.

• Reply 49 of 102
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,407member

From what I've seen I really like all the white space - it makes the screen appear so large and there appears to be so much more information that you can view on a screen. This is still early, so it may change, but one thing I always liked was seeing in a view an easy way to determine whether a day has any appointments or not, and that appears to be gone

The white looks very clean and I think it'll provide a good backdrop for appointments you enter in the calendar (which are always coloured). It makes the current app look really aged.

Really excited to get iOS 7 on my devices so I can have a proper play with this new OS.

• Reply 50 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Personally, all the white background with hyper-saturated foreground colors in iOS7 makes me wonder how readable it will be in sunlight. 

In my experience, the new design is more readable in sunlight.

The lock screen looks stolen right from Samsung, glassy overlays a la KDE 4.11 Air theme, and other bits are just a turn off... 

• Reply 51 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

That is very one-sided opinion. Scott and Jony are most probably both pigheaded and if Scott would do the job properly, he wouldn't be ousted.

Tim Cook is also not gutless. He has different style and frankly speaking I started to like him more than Steve. Decision on putting Jony on this job was not emotional and I am pretty sure it was something that seemed as a best solution.

However, it doesn't mean I like iOS7 design very much. It is very contradictory in many ways and some apps are totally misguided. Like Calendar. While I don't like this thin and flat design I can also say that some of the Scott's apps were also overkill in opposite direction, as here are. Again the Cow-Calendar.

Jony is yet to convince us how icons and fonts, stripped down brutally going esthetically and logically together with paralax and other 3D animations. Until now I am only convinced with colors, flat I don't like anyway, fonts are less readable, buttons without borders look like HTML link and blurs are to heavy, diminishing the effect, because a thin font is needed to be seen...

But in any case: changes were needed, both in functionality and design. Scott failed on both fronts.

Do a Google image search for Dieter Rams, Braun and Bauhaus. If you hate what you see, then that explains why you hate the new iOS 7 design. There are opportunities for improvement here and there, but to write off the new design out of hand simply reveals your distaste for the modernist aesthetic. If you look at Apple's hardware (which most people find quite attractive) it clearly embodies this modern, minimalist approach. Now the GUI finally matches the hardware.

There's no getting around the fact that this will piss off people who don't like this - just as the fake stitched Corinthian leather and green felt pissed off those on the other side of the fence. Deal with it. image

• Reply 52 of 102
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I'll stick with Fantastical. Having used this for a week, it's too low contrast, and difficult to see various elements. Sometimes it seems they focus too much on the end goal (not sure what that is here), without taking simple usability into account.

Fantastical still offers a month view, is much easier on the eyes, and actually has a little contrast in elements.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Tim Cook is also not gutless. He has different style and frankly speaking I started to like him more than Steve. 

Are you starting to like Cook's products more than Steve's too? 

Just a classic underestimation of Steve Jobs. It was Jobs who singlehandedly guided Apple toward one and only one purpose - to make Apple devices easiest to use. Tim Cook? A spreadsheet guru utterly clueless about products. Cook has no guts to make radical changes  - even when such changes will make Apple products easier to use.

When the last Fall I warned about upcoming Apple demise, largely based on the reasons outlined above, local Apple zealots - like Tallest Skil - either dismissed them or outright blocked my posts. You can continue to live in the la-la-Cook-is-the-best land, but time will show that Cook's inability to understand what makes consumers tick will do more and more damage to Apple. 

• Reply 54 of 102
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    dunks wrote: »
    I don't understand why they put so much effort into the device and then not apply that same design rigour to some of the most fundamental applications. <span style="line-height:1.231;">The "tags" feature they just announced for OS X should have been a basic feature across their email clients like 5 years ago!</span>

Why is it that with every new feature people complain that it should have been implemented already? Sure, I'll admit to thinking that the multi screen capabilities of OSX sucked. I'll further admit to thinking up a scheme that was fairly similar to what we are getting with 10.9, but these things take time to implement. Rather than waste time scolding apple for not doing everything yesterday, why don't we just be happy the features we wanted are (almost) here?
  • Reply 55 of 102
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    r4d4 wrote: »
    hey just wanted to mention that feedback can be given at:
    apple.com/feedback

keep it constructive and be specific about what you would like to see change.
    If you don't give them Good, constructive feedback, they won't change anything.

But it doesn't equal them changing it. Apple does what they want and isn't really known for listening to customers about all things.

So try it but don't expect it to work
  • Reply 56 of 102
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    enature wrote: »

Just a classic underestimation of Steve Jobs. <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">It was Jobs who singlehandedly guided Apple toward one and only one purpose - to make Apple devices easiest to use. Tim Cook? A spreadsheet guru utterly clueless about products. Cook has no guts to make radical changes  - even when such changes will make Apple products easier to use.</span>

When the last Fall I warned about upcoming Apple demise, largely based on the reasons outlined above, local Apple zealots - like Tallest Skil - either dismissed them or outright blocked my posts. You can continue to live in the la-la-Cook-is-the-best land, but time will show that Cook's inability to understand what makes consumers tick will do more and more damage to Apple. 

You clearly haven't been following the news recently. Cook did just allow radical changes to be introduced in iOS 7. We can argue about wether these changes are good or not, but to say the people behind them are gutless is absurd.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

iPhone 5 is the best iPhone ever made.  Retina Macbook Pros are the best Macbooks ever made.

If that's the measure then sure, why not, Tim Cook is better than Steve Jobs.

• Reply 58 of 102

Quote:

Cook has no guts to make radical changes  - even when such changes will make Apple products easier to use.

This about the man who fired Scott Forstall?

You, sir, are clueless.

• Reply 59 of 102
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Do a Google image search for Dieter Rams, Braun and Bauhaus. If you hate what you see, then that explains why you hate the new iOS 7 design. There are opportunities for improvement here and there, but to write off the new design out of hand simply reveals your distaste for the modernist aesthetic. If you look at Apple's hardware (which most people find quite attractive) it clearly embodies this modern, minimalist approach. Now the GUI finally matches the hardware.

There's no getting around the fact that this will piss off people who don't like this - just as the fake stitched Corinthian leather and green felt pissed off those on the other side of the fence. Deal with it. image

I don't need to google to know about roots of Ive's design style, however, you are showing the boxes and Jony makes them the most beautiful. Design of the software should not necessary "match" the box that is confined within and frankly, I believe it is misconception. While the box interacts with surrounding in confined space, software interacts with people. Users should not be required first to finish jump course to understand basic of modern design to like it. The design is not something for people to learn, it is pure sense of esthetic and usability. While I find many things that comply with the esthetic part (except for calendar, there is very little esthetic there. There is very little of anything...) I also find many elements of design lacking of previous usability. I also don't find anything minimalistic in parallax scrolling and snow and storm animation in Weather app.

To cut the long story short: I like what Jony does to boxes, i don't like very much what he does to what is inside. For now. I hope it changes.

• Reply 60 of 102
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Double troll post!

Wow, the mods take one day off and the trolls completely take over every thread. I'm not sure who's more pathetic, the trolls or the companies paying them to troll.* And the one genuine comment (the latter) actually sounds like a troll post!

FWIW I like the slick, minimalist look of iOS 7 and the calendar app. That said, I'm not really a power user so maybe there're some things I'm missing.

*Samsung has been caught paying trolls, but I'm sure they're not the only ones doing it.

Everyone who doesn't like something, especially a work in progress is not a troll.  This troll word flies around constantly in these forums.  Stop calling everyone with an opinion other than yours a troll.