'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 241 of 268
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Don't be stupid, watch the video (if you have a soul).

Firstly post reported. Secondly if you believe that all Chinese workers are slaves the moral onus is on you to support to bringing all manufacturing back to the West thirdly I systematically destroyed your accusations of slavery in a previous post. Low pay is not skavery. 

• Reply 242 of 268
    mactacmactac Posts: 317member

Maybe a lot of people don't like California?

• Reply 243 of 268
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    We can all legitimately wear a tin foil hat at times.  But it helps for a conspiracy claim to at least make sense.

You're claiming that Samsung is bribing an ad survey firm to say that<span style="line-height:1.231;"> this Apple ad is not perfect, right?</span>

First off, there are other sources saying the same thing, so such bribery seems like wasted money.  And it's a poor bribe that only lowers the ad score a bit, instead of really dropping it.  But more importantly --

What would be the point?   To encourage Apple to come up with a better ad?

Sammy has paid celebs to denounce Apple. I wouldn't put it past them to pay for negative Apple reports.
  • Reply 244 of 268
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mactac wrote: »
    Maybe a lot of people don't like California?

In my travels outside the US, I've heard many positive impressions of California. Inside the the US is a different matter, which is why I think these ads should be limited to an international audience.
  • Reply 245 of 268
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    In my travels outside the US, I've heard many positive impressions of California. Inside the the US is a different matter, which is why I think these ads should be limited to an international audience.

That's because California is almost liberal enough to be called conservative in the rest of the world...
  • Reply 246 of 268
    That's because California is almost liberal enough to be called conservative in the rest of the world...

Indeed. :D
  • Reply 247 of 268
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bennettvista

"Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline."

I sure disagree with that. Maybe in olden days pressure tactics got more labor done, but in a highly technical and creative field I think most companies find extra perks and prizes are better at motivating, oh, say, a software programmer.

Ya, right, like you can write code with a sword over your head! Not no more you can't!
    The human brain cannot write logic code when in fight or flight mode. It just shuts down.
    Maybe Jobs got away with some of that early on though before programming was as complex as it is now.
  • Reply 248 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennettvista

"Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline."

I sure disagree with that. Maybe in olden days pressure tactics got more labor done, but in a highly technical and creative field I think most companies find extra perks and prizes are better at motivating, oh, say, a software programmer.

Ya, right, like you can write code with a sword over your head! Not no more you can't!

The human brain cannot write logic code when in fight or flight mode. It just shuts down.

Maybe Jobs got away with some of that early on though before programming was as complex as it is now.

Interesting you think this. Remember, Apple got to where it is today WITHOUT a fancy spaceship campus and under incredible pressures exerted by Jobs. He knew what he was doing. People either perform and get the first prize of the Cadillac Eldorado, or they get the second prize of the set of steak knives. Third prize? You're FIRED!

• Reply 249 of 268

Whether you like Rush or not... this is an interesting take and rings true to  me regarding the ad and Samsung

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/06/28/a_teachable_moment_on_politics_who_says_everyone_hates_apple_s_ad_samsung

• Reply 250 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder about that though. People might not want to live in CA or even agree with its liberal politics/culture. But I know a lot of people who love vacationing there.
  • Reply 251 of 268
    Guess who's on the Ace Metrix roster of advertising clients? It's no wonder they scored Apple so low on their ads. Not exactly an objective evaluation of the ad, I would say.

http://www.adoperationsonline.com/2012/06/04/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/

• Reply 252 of 268
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Whether you like Rush or not... this is an interesting take and rings true to  me regarding the ad and Samsung

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/06/28/a_teachable_moment_on_politics_who_says_everyone_hates_apple_s_ad_samsung

This has been talked about the thread already.

Rush's article is another example of how you should never believe what you hear on the Internet, without checking on it.

When Limbaugh said:  "Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "

He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  

What they do, is take surveys and make reports about how ads go over with consumers.  Those reports are what Samsung and others use them for... to improve their own ads.

Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.

• Reply 253 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Rush's article is another example of how you should never believe what you hear on the Internet, without checking on it.

When Limbaugh said:  "Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "

He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  

What they do, is take surveys and make reports about how ads go over with consumers.  Those reports are what Samsung and others use them for... to improve their own ads.

Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess the internet is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

• Reply 254 of 268
    bryanzbryanz Posts: 3member

I like the fact that Apple "makes mistakes". I mean no company can keep moving forward without purposely make mistakes masquerade as honest intents. You can't really say that one ad is better than the other because this ad was not about promoting a product but about promoting a brand. And how this is an American Company (not a korean company). Worldwide the whole "Made in the USA" branding is still very valuable since everything now is made in China or Asia for that matter. 

• Reply 255 of 268
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess Rush Limbaugh is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 256 of 268
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Enough politics.
  • Reply 257 of 268
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess the internet is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

The funny thing is Ace Metrix have Samsung as their client so whatever they put out on Apple is objective.
  • Reply 258 of 268
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »

When Limbaugh said:  "<span style="font-family:'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14.44444465637207px;line-height:21.99652862548828px;">Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.</span>

They just "take surveys". I bet this is an example question: do you think the new Apple ad sucks? Completely sucks, somewhat sucks, other variation of sucks, other.

Full disclosure is required in journalism.
  • Reply 259 of 268
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Ok... Just to expand on my boring comment.... My wife has always picked on me because we watch everything on DVR and I fast forward through all the commercials... Unless its a new apple commercial... Or one that I particularly like.... But tonight an apple commercial came on and it took a good 10 seconds to realize it was an apple ad... It took another 5 for me to look back to my computer... Then I looked back just long enough to fast forward. Nothing to see here... Move along
  • Reply 260 of 268
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

So true.  Few wait before reposting these days.  Worse, there are very very few bloggers / "reporters" out there with actual technical or business experience, that would allow them to know when something is fishy.

As for Ace Metrix, they say that they review every national commercial in most categories, not just from their clients.  They apparently do this to build up their expertise and software that they use for rating such ads.  

Once a year, using this data, they release their top list of brands to watch, rated by ads.

Of interest to this thread... and the conspiracy seekers... is their last such list, and the last line in it.   Check it out at the end:

Ace rated Apple as having top performing phone ads that please customers and give good brand recognition.   (They also highly ranked Samsung TV brand recognition.  This lists predates Samsung signing on as a customer by months, btw.  Including top companies in their list, is one way to get them to sign up.)