'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's latest advertising campaign, touting the company's user-first corporate manifesto, has ranked poorly in a viewer analysis survey.

Of 26 Apple television ads in the last year, consulting firm Ace Metrix Inc. found that the subdued "Designed by Apple in California" spot earned the lowest score, Bloomberg reported on Thursday. Experts speculated that the new campaign could lack the excitement viewers feel when Apple unveils a new product.

The new ad, called "Our Signature," scored 489 on Ace Metrix's system, which is below the industry average of 542. It's also lower than past Apple campaigns that exceeded a score of 700.

Apple has gone for a softer approach in 2013, starting with a pair of ads dubbed "Every Day" that focus on popular features of the iPhone. The first ad, which debuted in April, showcased the iPhone's camera, while a second one launched in May touted its use as a music player.

The new "Designed by Apple in California" ad debuted earlier this month at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference, and began airing on television that same day. Rather than tout a single product, it gives something of a corporate philosophy for Apple, explaining its motives and focusing on the quality of its general product lineup.

The focal point of the new campaign is users interacting with Apple products, rather than talking about the devices themselves. In the first TV spot, a narrator says that Apple's mantra is to make a few great products that touch the lives of users.

"We spend a lot of time on a few great things, until every idea we touch enhances each life it touches," the narrator says. "You may rarely look at it, but you'll always feel it."

"This is our signature, and it means everything."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 268
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    No surprise there.... It's boring
  • Reply 2 of 268
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    It ranked poorly because there was little reference to Apple in the ad, except for the last line.

People probably didnt know what the ad was for.
  • Reply 3 of 268

Do people really care where it was designed?  Not likely, they care more about what the product will do for them.  There's no value-add for where it was designed.

Mind you, Ikea might beg to differ.

• Reply 4 of 268
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let's see, who do I place more trust in? World famous advertising firm Chiat-Day or a "consulting firm" nobody has ever heard of spouting negativity about Apple? Let me think about that for a second.

Really, AI? You decided to print this?
  • Reply 5 of 268
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Why are we looking at that guy's underwear?
  • Reply 6 of 268
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Ikea is crap. 

There is no flash to this ad, it's purpose is subliminal, therefore the Kardashian/Real Housewives/BOGO set will not be that into it--which is fine, because they'd only have an Apple product if it were given to them anyway...jussayin.

• Reply 7 of 268
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Total andcdote, but twice I've been in loud bars with TVs and the commercial came on and there was something about the quietness of it that made nearly everyone stop talking and watch it.

Obviously these spots aren't going to make someone run out and buy an Apple product, but I think it's a smart move to shore up their brand attributes during this new product lull.
  • Reply 8 of 268
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

• Reply 9 of 268
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Apple should evoke the thought of new, mind-blowing technology, not your grandma showing a slide-show
  • Reply 10 of 268
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple should evoke the thought of new, mind-blowing technology, not your grandma showing a slide-show

Look again...she was watching the slideshow--or whatever was being shown on the big screen--not hosting it.

• Reply 11 of 268
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Like Google Glass?

• Reply 12 of 268
    I agree with the stupid survey, Apple is displaying an awful lot of angst about its own importance with this icky new ad. It has the same effect on the stomach as too much sugar. The buoyant, Pixar-like video that opened WWDC this year was far more interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 268
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

• Reply 14 of 268
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Total andcdote, but twice I've been in loud bars with TVs and the commercial came on and there was something about the quietness of it that made nearly everyone stop talking and watch it.

Obviously these spots aren't going to make someone run out and buy an Apple product, but I think it's a smart move to shore up their brand attributes during this new product lull.

The other factor is that this is the type of ad that requires repetition. A single viewing (as in this survey) really wont' accomplish much. But after repeated viewings, it will start to have an impact.
  • Reply 15 of 268
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

You're not suggesting Cook is the only one who had a say in it, are you? That would be silly.

• Reply 16 of 268
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I agree with the stupid survey, Apple is displaying an awful lot of angst about its own importance with this icky new ad. It has the same effect on the stomach as too much sugar. The buoyant, Pixar-like video that opened WWDC this year was far more interesting.

I think it's better in print. In TV it just felt similar to "Everyday" campaign. Should have run the animation one like you said.

• Reply 17 of 268
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Repeated viewing? More like... Nothing to see here.... Move along
  • Reply 18 of 268
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

While it is obvious that the ad has a decidedly subdued almost pensive feel to it, the message I get is that they're saying they don't crank out all kinds of crap like Samesung, just to see what sticks. I guess that's too subdued for many. The people in the ad clearly seem to be enjoying their Apple products or what they get from them, but perhaps the slow-mo footage was a bit too much.

• Reply 19 of 268
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    This is why Apple is so effective... it's got it's mind on the ball, not whatever nonsense this firm is tracking.

That anecdote from the bar is more relevant.
  • Reply 20 of 268
    I think it's because it's so PC that nobody takes it seriously. Utopian disingenuousness.