Apple seeds second OS X Mavericks Developer Preview [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The only thing I want to know about this next OS is … 

… have they changed the f*cking name from "MAVERICKS" yet?   image image image image image

I can't get over how hung up you are over this.  image   You have brought it up on every related forum, thank goodness you don't have an aversion to the word Apple.

• Reply 62 of 64
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I do not know a single software that got better because there was a public beta. Windows 8? Millions of testers and a complete failure.

You are right that Apple did a "public beta" of Kodiak, but it was $30 and a way to work around the fact that there was no OS X developer program at that point.

There was a developer program back then - ADC predates Mac OS X, and developers got DP1-4 before the Public Beta was released.

• Reply 63 of 64
    petiegpetieg Posts: 24member

If you don't  like the American references, why don't you go install a better non-american OS then?  image

• Reply 64 of 64
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is what's wrong with the name though.  The blanket assumption that this is a "good" image that everyone will "naturally" like.  I don't give a shite about California, surfing, or anything close to either.  

The only thing worse would be to name the OS's after American football leagues or put a giant f*cking American flag on the box with crossed six-guns or something.  

What it comes down to is really this:  

In almost every culture on earth, it's considered offensive to crow about yourself.  To say "Look at me, I'm the best!"  
    Only in the USA is this considered a decent or good thing.  

That's why Mavericks is a bad name.  Because all it is to everyone else is that oh, so familiar American conceit rising to the surface.  In this case it's being thrown in our faces and will continue to be so for TEN YEARS.  We will now have to suffer each release of OS X, because each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

If it were still the 1950's and thus true that "America leads the world" that would be one thing.  But it isn't.  
    This is just the faded, collapsing empire trying to pretend that they are better than everyone else when they are not. 
    This is the kind of off the rocker comment that amuses me to no end.