New Samsung ad knocks iPhone language limitations, features goats

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The population of Iceland is about 310,000 people. Only about 55% tops are going to be the age of users of smartphones. I don't know what their salaries are like or if they're buying high-end smartphones. I'm not trashing Iceland by any means and I'm sure it's a fine place to live if you don't mind the cold and like to watch volcanoes, but whether Apple makes an impact on this market or not it really doesn't matter. There's just not enough of a consumer base to win over. Samsung definitely deserves to dominate smartphone market share in Iceland because they have a wider range of products at various price-points.

You keep astounding.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Apple is failing and Timmy Cook had better get Siri to speak Icelandic instead of spending seven years making iOS all white on a tiny screen, or else Apple's stock price will remain in the toilet how dare you question the wisdom of Wall St. /s
  • Reply 23 of 90
    It's amazing he even got a signal out in the middle if nowhere on any phone...
  • Reply 24 of 90
    alice4ualice4u Posts: 1member

It looks like a male sheep, called ram. Not a goat. 

• Reply 25 of 90
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    They're really reaching now. This smells of desperation.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well there's a weird statement.

No offence, I meant to reference famous situations/countries wherein it's your genetic heritage that matters for citizenship.  

Historically, Israel has acted in the same way as Germany did during the war in that regard.  They don't of course send the non-citizens to the gas chamber, but they still use the same criteria to decide who's a "real" citizen.  

• Reply 27 of 90
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Dancing seems appropriate for iPods...but not phones or surfaces, for that matter.
    Ugh! :)
  • Reply 28 of 90
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Shamsungs management blows goats
  • Reply 29 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,225member

I thought we'd get at least one goats.ex reference by now!

Thanks, Samsung, your commercials are as strange as your products.

• Reply 30 of 90
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Iceland has very high wages but a high cost of living, they do buy smartphones but the majority of them speak English very well so this isn't an issue.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member
    What a piece of shit.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    I think it's funny that Samsung and other companies feel the need to talk crap about apple products to make there own look better, but yet apple is still number 1, and doesn't have to put down other companies in commercials to sell there products. Apple products just sell on there own. The end...
  • Reply 33 of 90
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mieswall wrote: »
    What a piece of shit.

But it HAS GOATS! How many Apple ads can say the same?
  • Reply 34 of 90
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    #27: The State of Israel does not have Nuremberg laws. You're just trying to equate Nazi Germany with Israel for reasons that clearly have nothing to do with a Samsung advertisement.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    swaylonswaylon Posts: 24member
    Maybe it's a hint that the next Android operating system will be called "Mountain Goat." How ironic they use a highly inbred Icelandic goat to promote their Shamsung phone with its fragmented software. Chek out the Icelandic goat wiki page: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_goat
  • Reply 36 of 90
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member
    Apple Insider; if you're going to link to videos you should be sure the videos on those pages work.

The ad was not funny to me. Perhaps there is a cultural meme in the ad that is not understood by Americans. I understood the premise of the ad just not the humor.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Worst advertisement ever.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

They're really reaching now. This smells of desperation.

Because everyone is desperate to sell a few ten thousands of phones to the ~320K Icelandic phone subscribers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The ad was not funny to me. Perhaps there is a cultural meme in the ad that is not understood by Americans. I understood the premise of the ad just not the humor.

Agreed.   Something doesn't come across in translation.  But then, the ad was likely created in Iceland and not meant for anyone outside of there.  

• Reply 39 of 90
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 985member
    What do you do when the product is shit? Anything but show off the product!
  • Reply 40 of 90
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Because everyone is desperate to sell a few ten thousands of phones to the ~320K Icelandic phone subscribers?

Agreed.   Something doesn't come across in translation.  But then, the ad was likely created in Iceland and not meant for anyone outside of there.  

It must be a type of regional humor. The moment I saw this it reminded me of a cross between a Microsoft Surface commercial and Mummenschanz. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummenschanz