New Samsung ad knocks iPhone language limitations, features goats

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic20 View Post

Yeah he takes a bite from an Apple at the end more like they ride the Apple wave come on come up with something new. You guys wait till the contract ends with the hardware going to Korea next year then you will hurt in sales. Don't you get it it's the software that sells the device not just hardware but people in the know know that and dorks who don't buy a Samsung!

It's also the support, especially when it comes to updating the OS.  Apple is predictable.  once a year they release a feature enhancement OS, etc. and throughout the year a small handful of bug fixes and we get them as fast as they spit them out.  Android is STILL selling a Gingerbread based smartphone?  I still cannot figure out what they are thinking?  Putting out a product with an outdated OS.   If Apple did that, everyone would rip into them, which is why they don't do it.  You only sell the products that are capable of running the most recent OS and you ship it with that latest version, otherwise, take it off the price list.   But these Samsung fans don't seem to mind.   I can't buy into Samsung's mentality just to buy market share.  It makes no sense.  Hey Mr. Customer, step right up and buy the future in smartphones with the Samsung Aspire.  Aspire to do what?  Be stuck in the past with Gingerbread?    Samsung.  HELLO!!!  4.2.2 is out, ever think about updating all of your current products to run it?  What a concept.  They probably never thought to do that.  Idiots.

I think what Samsung does is they are marketing and selling ALL of their prototypes instead of just figuring what is going to be the best phone that addresses most of their customers.    I'm just amazed at how many different phones they make and wondering if their upper management really understands how difficult it is to maintain and support that many different products and yield a high satisfaction level when they don't make the OS.  I wonder how many different variations of OSs they have to support.  10? what a nightmare.  No wonder they don't always upgrade the OSs to the most recent. Costs too much money.  But hey, Android's Open Source and FREEEEEEEEE.  They should call it an Open Loop platform instead of Open Source.

• Reply 62 of 90
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    This will disappear faster than the Apple genius ads. If ever questioned about it, Samsung would argue they were goated and psy'ed into this.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Bottom line? No actual consumer will see this ad anywhere but Iceland. Of course tech blogs will have some fun but that's it. End of story.

With a bit more investigation...

Who was the ad agency who came up with this? Was it an Icelandic company?

Is this ad actually running on Icelandic television stations? European? What?

Is this strictly an Internet ad?

Was this ad put together intentionally to look this bad, and designed to "go viral" because of its stupidity? Is Samsung that smart?

• Reply 64 of 90
    sergio1323 wrote: »
    I think it's funny that Samsung and other companies feel the need to talk crap about apple products to make there own look better, but yet apple is still number 1, and doesn't have to put down other companies in commercials to sell there products. Apple products just sell on there own. The end...

Indeed. Apple would never ever stoop to comparative marketing or mocking the competition. Never ever.

Ok. Maybe they do once in a while but they remain rather sheepish about it.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Bottom line? No actual consumer will see this ad anywhere but Iceland. Of course tech blogs will have some fun but that's it. End of story.

With a bit more investigation...

Who was the ad agency who came up with this? Was it an Icelandic company?

Is this ad actually running on Icelandic television stations? European? What?

Is this strictly an Internet ad?

Was this ad put together intentionally to look this bad, and designed to "go viral" because of its stupidity? Is Samsung that smart?

Are u in Iceland? I'm not.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    Check out this new infomercial AD for Google Glass...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/486603
  • Reply 67 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple is failing and Timmy Cook had better get Siri to speak Icelandic instead of spending seven years making iOS all white on a tiny screen, or else Apple's stock price will remain in the toilet how dare you question the wisdom of Wall St. /s

You know, AI management has recently started cracking down on the trolling nonsense. Do we miss them so much we now need to imitate them?

• Reply 68 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    Ah, sorry to fly off the handle. I'm just getting tired of all these personal attacks on people who use other manufactures products,

Ah, flying off the handle must be one of my favorite things to do, judging how often I do it. Also one of my favorite expressions. I'm pleasantly surprised you know that one, because it's an old one, not used enough anymore, in my opinion.

Anyway, the point is that there are allergenic features about the two platforms that cause each of the respective followers to react emotionally toward the other. We can't do much about this; it's almost biochemical, like dogs and cats. You straddle both worlds, I notice. That may be fairly unusual, and something to value, like being ambidextrous. Or maybe it's just Swiss neutrality at work. : )

But I know I can't even look at certain websites like MacRumors because of the depressing level of anti-Apple contempt and hatred you find there. This is unbalanced, in my opinion, and it's caused me to start hating the haters. That spills over to Samsung, for me, because they are exploiting this hatred in their ads, and directing it also toward Apple fans and users. Unforgivable, in my opinion, because they're fanning the flames of a cultural difference.

Like the old "I'm a PC" ads, you may ask? Maybe, but those were in a different spirit, I would say. The PC guy was actually made quite loveable, not an object of ridicule. But you could make a case that Apple was asking for it if they ever won the platform competition, and now they're getting it. I would say that Samsung's ads have a certain viciousness about them that speaks volumes about the company's ethics, Or their ad agency's.
  • Reply 69 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You know, AI management has recently started cracking down on the trolling nonsense. Do we miss them so much we now need to imitate them?

When? I didn't get the memo. I thought just the opposite had happened, and they came out to roost in full force. And why would you have any visibility into what AI management is doing? Do they ever post any announcements somewhere where I can see them?

• Reply 70 of 90
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Post deleted by author. Reminder to self: read thread before posting.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No offence, I meant to reference famous situations/countries wherein it's your genetic heritage that matters for citizenship.  

Historically, Israel has acted in the same way as Germany did during the war in that regard.  They don't of course send the non-citizens to the gas chamber, but they still use the same criteria to decide who's a "real" citizen.  

Really?   Because you do know that there are Arab citizens of Israel, right?   However, in 2012 the Israeli courts did uphold a law banning Palestinian spouses of Israeli citizens from gaining citizenship.

And for the record, Germany sent citizens of Germany to the gas chambers.   

But what this has to do with Samsung, goats and Iceland, I don't know.  

• Reply 72 of 90
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I'm pleasantly surprised you know that one, because it's an old one, not used enough anymore, in my opinion.

I went to the California Institute of Technology for a few years to receive my Masters. My English was horrible when I first arrived but I picked it up fast enough. I learned a lot of American sayings in that time as well as a lot about America culture and laws. Like you'll get a ticket if you sun bathe topless ........ what, I only bought the bottoms.:D I really liked my time there and will always think back with great fondness. I lived in a nice little loft above a record store, which I worked at on the weekends and even dated the owner for a while. I baby sat for extra money and even sat for Alan Thicke and his wife Gina's child quite a few times, they had a lovely house in Pasadena. I had a cute VW Fox to drive to the beach with but I mostly road my bicycle to school because the stupid thing never worked. I learned that American boys can't hold their liqueur, hehe, what can I say I grew up on Kirsch, 100 proof rocket fuel. I was a frequent Rocky Horror Picture Show goer at a small theater in Balboa island. Love Tommy's Chili Burger, I can go on and on but no one want's to hear my silly tale.
  • Reply 73 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I went to the California Institute of Technology for a few years to receive my Masters. My English was horrible when I first arrived but I picked it up fast enough. I learned a lot of American sayings in that time as well as a lot about America culture and laws. Like you'll get a ticket if you sun bathe topless ........ what, I only bought the bottoms.image I really liked my time there and will always think back with great fondness. I lived in a nice little loft above a record store, which I worked at on the weekends and even dated the owner for a while. I baby sat for extra money and even sat for Alan Thicke and his wife Gina's child quite a few times, they had a lovely house in Pasadena. I had a cute VW Fox to drive to the beach with but I mostly road my bicycle to school because the stupid thing never worked. I learned that American boys can't hold their liqueur, hehe, what can I say I grew up on Kirsch, 100 proof rocket fuel. I was a frequent Rocky Horror Picture Show goer at a small theater in Balboa island. Love Tommy's Chili Burger, I can go on and on but no one want's to hear my silly tale.

Blah, blah, blah, nobody cares Relic.

• Reply 74 of 90
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member

How embarrassing for Samsung.

• Reply 75 of 90
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »

It was a reply to someone else's post, it wasn't meant for you, especially to criticize. Why are you being so grumpy?
  • Reply 76 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It was a reply to someone else's post, it wasn't meant for you, especially to criticize. Why are you being so grumpy?

I get posts whether it's intended for me or not.  Why don't you just send a PM to those people.  It might be a lot better for everyone.  You know, you can do that.  Do you know how?  

• Reply 77 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    I went to the California Institute of Technology for a few years to receive my Masters. My English was horrible when I first arrived but I picked it up fast enough. I learned a lot of American sayings in that time as well as a lot about America culture and laws. Like you'll get a ticket if you sun bathe topless ........ what, I only bought the bottoms.:D I really liked my time there and will always think back with great fondness. I lived in a nice little loft above a record store, which I worked at on the weekends and even dated the owner for a while. I baby sat for extra money and even sat for Alan Thicke and his wife Gina's child quite a few times, they had a lovely house in Pasadena. I had a cute VW Fox to drive to the beach with but I mostly road my bicycle to school because the stupid thing never worked. I learned that American boys can't hold their liqueur, hehe, what can I say I grew up on Kirsch, 100 proof rocket fuel. I was a frequent Rocky Horror Picture Show goer at a small theater in Balboa island. Love Tommy's Chili Burger, I can go on and on but no one want's to hear my silly tale.

Fascinating. Unlike Mr Blank, enjoyed this tour of the past, but I know most of these places. And the Cal Tech part vs. the beach explains everything. Your brain can span both worlds. : )
  • Reply 78 of 90
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Actually, we do.  It's nice to know a bit of the history behind a poster.

Quite often in the past I have debated with someone online, even had flamewars... only to later meet them, and become good friends.  Heck, we've all gotten each other great jobs at times by doing this.

And not just forums.  There was a guy on eBay who used to constantly fight me for navigation collectibles.  The upbidding was killing both of us.  lol   We finally began talking and made a deal where we took turns on the best stuff.  We shared tips, became fast friends, and talked for hours on the phone.

You never know.

• Reply 79 of 90
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Don't make assumptions.    If you want to say, "I don't care, Relic", that's fine.   But don't speak for the rest of us because you have absolutely no idea what we think. 

• Reply 80 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Actually, we do.  It's nice to know a bit of the history behind a poster.

Quite often in the past I have debated with someone online, even had flamewars... only to later meet them, and become good friends.  Heck, we've all gotten each other great jobs at times by doing this.

And not just forums.  There was a guy on eBay who used to constantly fight me for navigation collectibles.  The upbidding was killing both of us.  lol   We finally began talking and made a deal where we took turns on the best stuff.  We shared tips, became fast friends, and talked for hours on the phone.

You never know.

A sure tip off to me is when a poster is afraid to be honest about their age, their education level, their professional experience, etc. and to me that's typically someone that should spending more time going to school or working in the industry and less time posting comments on YouTube, AI, or other forums where they add little value to the discussion and then act like a 12 year old.  In my travels, I had heated discussions on Mac vs PC to engineers (some actually work at intel) and they had little experience with Macs, where I had 20+ years in reseller industry dealing with both platforms because I had to be VERY objective in my recommendations to customers.  I was trained to be not brand specific just because one mfg had better margins or spiffs, etc., which in that industry is almost impossible to do.  So, from MY perspective, I could discuss the debate with far more intelligence than they could.  Guess what?  The guy called me up and admitted he had bought a freaking iMac, when before he used to hobble together DIY higher end PCs for which he always seemed to be tinkering with it than using it.  Funny stories to share.  But it's funny when someone starts asking you questions and begins to have more respect with someone's background and experience than they first thought.  it got to the point where he began asking me questions rather than trying to tell me something that wasn't relevant to the discussions.  If someone can raise a valid point to need or use another platform, I'll be honest with them, but I will advise them on things they need to do to be successful if I know what they need to focus on.