iOS 7 beta: Safari ditches '.com' button, dots return in Calendar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I think the dots in calendar are stupid. My personal opinion. Does anyone really have days without events? I don't. And when every day has a dot none of them may as well have.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had.

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

And I'm assuming at this point the icons will not change before release...

Apple has changed some icons over time.  They did it with iTunes, iMovie, so if they get enough feedback, etc., I'm sure they'll make some minor changes, but that's more superficial.  The fonts?  yeah, if they get enough complaints, they might change it or give the user different options.

Again, go to Apple's Feedback website and tell them how you feel, but be professional about it. They do read every email and if the suggestion is a good one, they might surprise you on the next release.  I'd say that 80% of the suggestions I submitted are being answered with iOS 7 and I'll have to find out how many more once they release the next batch of products.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil, you just got squeak to let them know.   I think the new management structure for iOS, I think they should have done it sooner, but hey, they have the right people involved and yeah, they needed a GUI refresh and hopefully we'll see this as something positive as we get used to it.   Sometimes I love what they do immediately and sometimes it takes a while because change takes some getting used to. But if there is something I don't like, I voice my opinion and they have a good track record at listening and doing something about it, and it obviously doesn't happen in a vacuum.

• Reply 23 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I think the dots in calendar are stupid. My personal opinion. Does anyone really have days without events? I don't. And when every day has a dot none of them may as well have.

Well, if you think for a nanosecond … it's pretty obvious that actually lots of people will have "days without dots" and that the dots will actually be useful for the majority of users.  

The number of people who have appointments every single F-ing day (busy business people and/or obsessives), is always going to be smaller than the group that doesn't.  

I guess you were just bragging about your dots? What a super cool busy guy you are etc.?

• Reply 25 of 68
    joeleebrjoeleebr Posts: 3member

Settings > General > Accessibility > Turn off "Increase Contrast"   Thank GOD!

• Reply 26 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had.

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

And I'm assuming at this point the icons will not change before release...

I hope the chevrons go and the icons change.

Going with thicker fonts is crazy considering people round here (not me) said there was nothing wrong with the thin fonts that cut your eyes out.

Thank God the fixed those fonts.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Now, if they just change the back button to something usable and less ugly/confusing, and redesign the lock screen, almost all the UI concerns will be addressed.

Unlikely at this point I suppose. :\

The biggest thing that surprises me is that the lock screen which has been almost universally vilified by design nerds online, has remained exactly the same through three betas now. Everyone except Apple seems to agree that it has numerous, serious, overlapping problems and a few attempts I've seen at user testing of it shows that it's new behaviour simply isn't "discoverable" at all.

Yet it remains untouched.

That's probably them being stubborn until the last moment, so it appears as if it was their idea to fix the disasterious lock screen. If they fixed it right away I guess they are worried they'll look bad.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    nagromme wrote: »
    They'll refine things one by one. Even after release: this is a SUPER high-speed job that began only 7-8 months ago. iOS 7 is so new, so quickly, that it is guaranteed to have growing pains.

I think I could have used iOS 7 for years and never even SEEN those lock screen arrows. They're certainly not the right solution. Maybe no solution is needed: the home screen and other apps have no indication of those gestures; why should the lock screen? Unless the lock screen is were you're supposed to LEARN that those gestures exist... a job which the arrows fail to achieve.

Those distraction chevrons are ridiculous.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    addicted44 wrote: »
    iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release.

November? That sounds innacurate.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    n057828n057828 Posts: 28member
    What about under the icons was it black before now white?
  • Reply 31 of 68
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    1983 wrote: »
    I'm pleased to see that the event day dots are back on the month view. Didn't see the point in removing them in the first place, maybe it was just a bug.

I'm guessing it was a bug as calendar had a bug in first beta that zulu calendars won't work and in the second beta it got fixed but the new data was coming only by manual pulling not by the fetch intervals.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwnorris View Post

I've personally found the last 2 betas to be very unstable. I have trouble seeing this being ready for the public in any short timeframe without major adjustments. It simply doesn't work a high percentage of the time.

Agree-  This is very beta software, and still quite unstable.  Multiple app and springboard crashes daily and this is just using Apple's own apps.  I really like some of the new features, but not for daily use.   I doubt they are shooting for a release date anytime soon.

• Reply 33 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    spudit wrote: »
    I really like some of the new features, but not for daily use.

You know what a beta is, right?
  • Reply 34 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's probably them being stubborn until the last moment, so it appears as if it was their idea to fix the disasterious lock screen. If they fixed it right away I guess they are worried they'll look bad.

That's not it. iOS 7 suffers more serious issues related to how new and modified APIs work right now. The Lock Screen itself is not a priority at this point since it won't affect how 3rd party apps work. The Lock Screen needs redesign and I believe it will be redesigned. Even the new changes they introduced in this 3rd beta is causing other visual and UI problems. We are many betas away from the GM.

• Reply 35 of 68
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Well, if you think for a nanosecond … it's pretty obvious that actually lots of people will have "days without dots" and that the dots will actually be useful for the majority of users.  

The number of people who have appointments every single F-ing day (busy business people and/or obsessives), is always going to be smaller than the group that doesn't.  
    I guess you were just bragging about your dots? What a super cool busy guy you are etc.?

Really? You think a single dot indicating you have one event scheduled somewhere in a day is helpful? You really don't have things happening every day? Kids sports, meetings, school events, birthday parties? Not at least one such thing per day? Sounds like you're bragging about your easy breezy life. For me a dot telling me a day has something -- something-- at some time is worthless clutter. Again, personal preference.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    You know what a beta is, right?

I assume you actually read my entire post....Yes- I'm very aware what a beta is. But if I need hand holding in the future, I now know who to ask.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="spudit" url="/t/158393/ios-7-beta-safari-ditches-com-button-dots-return-in-calendar#post_2359190"]
    I assume you actually read my entire post...[/QUOTE]

And with the knowledge professed in the rest of it, I'm confused why you'd bother with that redundancy, is all.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    They fixed the damn maps loop crash. That and the .com button were the most irritating items to live with the last two betas. The maps crash was the worst, as once you got into the crash you often lost use of your maps app altogether for navigation. I was down to just a single iOS device that was still working.

Still using the Yellow on White background in notes though :\

Ugh...still a few bad design choices needing fixing.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    I think the confusion is mutual.....where's the fire Tallest Skil?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Monday's release of iOS 7 beta 3 addresses that frustration experienced by some developers. As a replacement, users can hold down on the period button located to the right of the space bar, and the usual options of ".com," ".net," ".org," ".edu," and ".us" become available.

That's an excellent solution. Now if only they would move the dictation function to the cursor menu instead of a keyboard button I accidentally press 4-5 times a day when trying to access numbers/punctuation button. You can't even remove it from the keyboard without turning off Siri.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With iOS 7 beta 3, individual days on the calendar will have a small gray dot underneath the date to indicate that one or more calendar entries are scheduled for that day.

Why grey? If you have 3-4 events scheduled on most days a grey dot below every date is as useful as no dots at all. Why not make the dot colour match the calendar colour so you can discriminate between "work" or "personal" events? They could also make dot size proportional to the amount of the day taken up by events so you can see at a glance which days are most busy without always having to drill down into the most detailed view.