Pandora iOS app update brings auto-mute, improved stream buffering

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Popular Internet radio service Pandora on updated its iOS app on Monday, bringing a new feature that automatically pauses music playback when a user mutes their iPhone, as well as a number of performance enhancements.

Pandora

With Pandora Radio version 4.4, music playback pauses whenever a user mutes their iPhone, a convenient feature when listening on the go.

In addition to the new auto-pause feature, Pandora has improved playback buffering for stutter-free streaming for areas with weak cellular reception. The update also fixes issues with in-app links, which now works "just as well" as URLs on Pandora.com.

Finally, the app contains bug fixes and performance improvements.

Pandora Radio version 4.4 comes in at 17MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I love Pandora, going to be sad to quit them once iTunes Radio launches
  • Reply 2 of 6
    milfordmilford Posts: 26member
    Pausing the music when you mute the phone is not a feature, it's a tool to prevent you from avoiding the ads. But kudos to them for the bold "lemonade" strategy, which seems to work with the more credulous news sources.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I love Pandora, going to be sad to quit them once iTunes Radio launches

I don't think for a minute that Pandora.ipa will stop working once you upgrade to iOS 7.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think for a minute that Pandora.ipa will stop working once you upgrade to iOS 7.

I rather think the point he's making is that they're meaningless in the face of iTunes Radio.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    milford wrote: »
    Pausing the music when you mute the phone is not a feature, it's a tool to prevent you from avoiding the ads. But kudos to them for the bold "lemonade" strategy, which seems to work with the more credulous news sources.

I would say it is more about stopping unlistened to music from playing as Pandora pays for the music by the song.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I rather think the point he's making is that they're meaningless in the face of iTunes Radio.

I think that's an overstatement. I do think Pandora will face major competition on iOS, but how bad it will be for Pandora on Apple devices remains to be seen.  Many people have spent time creating and seeding stations on Pandora and I don't believe those Pandora power users will be quick to switch. Of course, beyond iOS, Pandora is in good shape.  They've been doing a good job (like Netflix) of being bundled in to TVs and Blu-ray players and they have a huge amount of exposure.  If you have an Apple TV, iTunes radio makes sense.  If you have iOS devices, a Blue-ray player with Pandora, but do not have an Apple TV, I imagine Pandora would still be your preference.  Plus, with the media giving attention to iTunes Radio and mentioning Pandora in every, single article, that's a lot of free advertising.  I think Pandora may actually see a temporary boost from iTunes Radio.

I think the service in trouble is Last.fm.  They really don't have the exposure of Pandora, and while Pandora is finally seeing profits, Last.fm is still reporting losses. I think there is room for iTunes Radio and Pandora, but not room for all three.