Apple opens iWork for iCloud Beta to public, sends invites to non-developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The iWork apps for OSX may or may not be free, but since you can access the apps for free on the iCloud the only reason to buy them is to access the programs without needing an internet connection. 

No. The reason to buy them is because on OS X there is more functionality.

• Reply 22 of 42
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No. The reason to buy them is because on OS X there is more functionality.

i agree. web apps are only useful for light editing or creating… for regular users native apps works much better and they are more convenient.

• Reply 23 of 42
    The second image shows Google Chrome but the caption below says "iWork for iCloud beta running in Microsoft's Internet Explorer" !
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I've gotten the email but it's not there!! I guess I'll wait a few hours! Smh!!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Question are the iWorks web apps available to those apple accounts that have purchased the iOS iWorks apps from the App Store ?

I cant say, because I have purchased Pages, Numbers and Keynotes from the App Store already.

Would these set of web apps be available to accounts that havent purchased the iOS versions ?

How are they gonna work around it ?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I got the e-mail but nothing shows.

Have you purchased Pages, Keynotes or Numbers on the App Store ?

It shows for me (I have those 3 apps already on my iPhone)

• Reply 27 of 42
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    Why do you need web access from ipad or iphone when you have the native iOS apps?!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Doesn't work from iPad. Sad really that Apple can't work out running the iCloud web site on iPad.

I don't think the best engineers in the world could get it to work on iPad. Here is a great article (10 days old) explaining why mobile devices are currently no good for web apps.

http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/

• Reply 29 of 42
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Have you purchased Pages, Keynotes or Numbers on the App Store ?

It shows for me (I have those 3 apps already on my iPhone)

I have Pages on both OSX and iOS, at least there should be Pages there.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Microsoft should be seriously concerned. Microsoft Office is a core business for Microsoft. A business which has been virtually unassailable until Google Docs and now Apple iWork for iCloud.

Although a lot of companies are now using Google Docs and MS Office 365, MS Office still has many features that aren't available online. Mainly scripts, Visual Basic, snicker if you must but I have seen entire departments in fortune 500 companies build their entire infrastructure on Excel using mind blowingly long scripts to do calculations and automated tasks. Simple word processing is easily done online but the second your document needs data from a database like Oracle and/or you're sending out 1,000s of letters using a script that not only creates the Doc with info from said database but then then attaches the Doc to an Email and sends it out to only the customers who live in California because the people in Texas need other info, well Google Docs just ain't goin to handle that.

I love reading about how MS Office is doomed because of all of these online services or Apple Pages or LibreOffice, whatever, the truth is MS Office is a viable solution for a whole lot of people who aren't just typing up a thank you letters and graduation speeches.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    ascii wrote: »
    I don't think the best engineers in the world could get it to work on iPad. Here is a great article (10 days old) explaining why mobile devices are currently no good for web apps.

http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/

Interesting article, thank you. Though Google Docs runs fine on an iPad.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    s6275s6275 Posts: 19member

I don't know.  I have several documents that use fonts other than Apple's "built-in" ones.  Unless they can devise a way around the licensing issues that are certainly involved with syncing fonts with the document, I would never use this day-to-day.

• Reply 33 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Interesting article, thank you. Though Google Docs runs fine on an iPad.

Yes, I think the main point of the article is that memory is an issue on mobile devices and Javascript doesn't allow you to address that. I would question how well Google Docs runs when you start adding images to your documents, and you are using a mobile device, but I will have to take your word for it as I do all my wordprocessing in Word on a Windows PC (even the native version of Pages doesn't match up with Word for me).

• Reply 34 of 42

Here's to another innovative product that hopefully tries to beat Google. The demo at WWDC was interesting. Now for the reviews to show up to see how smooth it really is.

• Reply 35 of 42
    jpadhiyar wrote: »
    Here's to another innovative product that hopefully tries to beat Google. The demo at WWDC was interesting. Now for the reviews to show up to see how smooth it really is.

It will never beat Google but for Apple users this definitely a nice service. Personally I don't think I'll use it because most of the people I collaborate with on Office 365 and Google Docs don't have a Apple ID.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Wizard69, I called Apple about that a couple of hours ago. The representative said that he had heard that when iWork for iCloud is rolled out that the iCloud website will be available on iPads and iPhones. The people that currently have iWork for iPad or iPhone can test iWork for iCloud using those apps. They are still saying it will launch for everyone sometime in Fall 2013. We had no need to purchase those apps because we rarely needed to share documents away from our office. However it will be nice on the rare occasions we would want to do this. This will continue to eat away at Microsoft for sure.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    As a high school teacher I would LOVE it if my students made their presentations using Keynote rather than GoogleDocs. Google's preso software is hideous. I used to use PowerPoint exclusively. Now I use Keynote whenever I can. It's so much better looking. That said, it has been WAY too long since they'd updated the iWork suite - and it needs some updating.
  • Reply 38 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoobitron View Post

That said, it has been WAY too long since they'd updated the iWork suite - and it needs some updating.

I agree, it's been way too long. However, I would not be a bit surprised to see them add about 20% more features to iWork when it is released on the iCloud this Fall. Apple loves to surprise and delight... However, for Microsoft it may be surprise and horrify.

• Reply 39 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It will never beat Google but for Apple users this definitely a nice service. Personally I don't think I'll use it because most of the people I collaborate with on Office 365 and Google Docs don't have a Apple ID.

Wow!! You must collaborate with a bunch of pencil-necked geeks that don't use iTunes for anything!

• Reply 40 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    andreid wrote: »
    Why do you need web access from ipad or iphone when you have the native iOS apps?!

Cheapskates, that's why.

As it stands, we have three versions of iOS, none of which are 1:1 feature compatible.

Hopefully that changes this fall. And NO, I don't mean that the OS X version should lose features to match iOS and web.