Apple working on mystery product that may ship with new 17W power supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For instance, well-connected insider John Gruber of Daring Fireball said in a post back in May that he doesn't expect Apple will ever release a touchscreen MacBook. However, he said he does "eventually" expect the company to release an iOS notebook ? something that might justify a 13-inch display.

This. I've always thought that Apple would eventually go this route and release both a laptop and an all-in-one desktop top model that were iOS based; a 13" laptop and a 19" (or 21") desktop.

• Reply 22 of 99
    12W 5W = 17W. Maybe they're just making an adapter that can charge and iPad and iPhone at the same time.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    The external adapters are specifically for "charging" instead of continuous power. So a portable device would seem to be the logical guess. I'm not an electrician, but I'm assumimg increased wattage is for a battery with increased capacity. Which would lead me to think they are significantly increasing the iPad's battery life, or releasing a smaller product with extremely long battery life %u2013 as in an iWatch?
  • Reply 24 of 99
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    It might just be to improve the charging times on the iPad, which are pretty long:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/7
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/galaxy-tab-2-review-benchmark,3278-5.html

5.7 hours even with the 12W charger vs 6 on the 10W. It's not 12W vs 10W, the chargers draw different power at the wall than their ratings. Say the 17W charger draws 18W (~33% more than the 12W charger), they'd be looking at a 4.3 hour recharge time.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    "well connected insider"? WTF? Why would you say such an asinine thing about Gruber? He lives on the wrong cost, is not connected with people at Apple, and is a paid mouthpiece, your competitor, in fact.

He's never given inside info, he just speculates and pretends like it's leaks. And you gotta be pretty ill informed to fall for it.

Here, I'll tell you what these parts are for: Its the power supply for the redesigned Airport Express.

I could pretend to know this from inside information and you would call me a "well connected insider"... but I'm more honest and I'll admit it's speculation.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This. I've always thought that Apple would eventually go this route and release both a laptop and an all-in-one desktop top model that were iOS based; a 13" laptop and a 19" (or 21") desktop.

Out of curiosity (not to challenge you - I honestly don't know), how would they go about this considering the touch versus mouse dichotomy? A cursor on an iOS interface? Completely touch based? I'm intrigued by the latter, though I have reservations about the accuracy of the finger as a pointer when it comes to placing a cursor in a Pages/Word document...it's clumsy. I find that when I have to correct an error on an ipad or iphone, I have to delete the entire word most of the time. If an iOS laptop isn't marketed to the writer crowd, why bother with a laptop in the first place? If a keyboard provides enough utility to provoke Apple to create an iOS laptop, it seems they'd need to create a much easier way to place a cursor... Writing pages per day, it's certainly easier to place one with a mouse or a dedicated touch pad/arrow. When the original iPad came out I bought the keyboard with it, hoping I'd be able to set up impromptu offices and type away, but editing and inserting is far too slow for me.  I certainly want it to happen and want there to be a solution, but...I'm wondering whether others are seeing a solution that I don't, or if most people simply aren't concerned with editing what they write. But if that were true, like I said, why bother with a laptop?  Thoughts?

• Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It might just be to improve the charging times on the iPad, which are pretty long:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/7

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/galaxy-tab-2-review-benchmark,3278-5.html

5.7 hours even with the 12W charger vs 6 on the 10W. It's not 12W vs 10W, the chargers draw different power at the wall than their ratings. Say the 17W charger draws 18W (~33% more than the 12W charger), they'd be looking at a 4.3 hour recharge time.

except that the iPads must still be able to limit charge current requests to 2A, (10W) when connected to the USB port of any mac or macbook.

• Reply 28 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mjtomlin wrote: »

A full sized desktop running iOS doesn't make any sense. There's absolutely no advantage over the current system and a number of major disadvantages.

I have, however, said for a long time that they could use an iPad Pro (essentially, like a thinner MBA running iOS).
  • Reply 29 of 99
    A new Mac Mini?
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A full sized desktop running iOS doesn't make any sense. There's absolutely no advantage over the current system and a number of major disadvantages.

I have, however, said for a long time that they could use an iPad Pro (essentially, like a thinner MBA running iOS).

Yeah, maybe they'll include some kind of "touch sensitive" keyboard cover or something......

• Reply 31 of 99
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

Could be an iOS set top box to be connected to a TV. Sort of like an Xbox or PS3.

A device that would act as a mix between an AppleTV and a MacMini, but run iOS and thus have access to a ton of games and apps, would arguably require beefier hardware than the normal AppleTV.

It also makes sense, it's exactly what they haven't covered so far.

• Reply 32 of 99
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Have you seen inexperienced/uninterested people try to use a desktop computer - it's not pretty. iOS devices are extremely easy to use and pretty much idiot proof.

• Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Have you seen inexperienced/uninterested people try to use a desktop computer - it's not pretty. iOS devices are extremely easy to use and pretty much idiot proof.

I have to agree. Of course I have no idea how big that market is, but for example we have a 21 inch iPac in the kitchen. Its used for recipes (rarely :(  ) email, web surfing, etc.. Often a couple of people 'hang out' on it while others are doing kitchen type stuff. Its used a lot, it would be MUCH more convenient and useable if it were IOS based. That way others that from time to time are hanging out would be more likely to utilize it.

My only request is that a very fast user switch could be implemented, then we are not messing with each others emails etc.

• Reply 34 of 99

This is a dual charger that apple will "officially support" 12W for iPad and 5W for iPhone = 17W. I can see this with all the "charger issues" as of late from third party Manufacturers.

• Reply 35 of 99
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

We´re in for a lot of surprise, remember Tim Cook said "we´re gonna have a busy fall" and "we´re introducing new categories"

I think they will announce at least 10 new products software and hardware on the 10th.

• Reply 36 of 99
    Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

A 13-inch iPad? If the same one is the iPad Mini, this one would be an "iPad Maxi."

But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but… NO ONE wants a larger iPad! Only smaller! Because we WANT unusably small devices!

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

An iPad with Mac OSX?

No.

Originally Posted by Howie View Post

A new Mac Mini?

The Mac Mini uses 100 watts.

Originally Posted by djzapp View Post

This is a dual charger that apple will "officially support" 12W for iPad and 5W for iPhone = 17W. I can see this with all the "charger issues" as of late from third party Manufacturers.

Wait, so two USB ports on it? That seems dumb.

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

I think they will announce at least 10 new products software and hardware on the 10th.

Thanks for that; the stock sure needed a ton more pointless and obvious lies¡

• Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

A 13-inch iPad? If the same one is the iPad Mini, this one would be an "iPad Maxi."

It will be called the MaxiPad.

• Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiee69 View Post

Combo Apple TV/Cable box for Time Warner customers.

This.

But I am guessing, all major cable companies, not just TW. As a prelude to iTV, both to learn more on how to get to the final product in a few years, and to form partnerships with key players in the process of getting there.

• Reply 39 of 99
    We'll find out what this 17W adapter is for right after Cook announces ''One More Thing!"
  • Reply 40 of 99
    jessi wrote: »
    "well connected insider"? WTF? Why would you say such an asinine thing about Gruber? He lives on the wrong cost, is not connected with people at Apple, and is a paid mouthpiece, your competitor, in fact.

He's never given inside info, he just speculates and pretends like it's leaks. And you gotta be pretty ill informed to fall for it.

Everyone cited by AppleInsider is a "well informed insider." Even DigiTimes.

It's just like reality TV: everyone they interview is called an "expert." Even if they're just yokels running around the woods at night calling Bigfoots or plumbers who hunt for ghosts with some electricians' hardware. They're accredited by the Academy of I-made-this-up-ology.