After its disastrous Exynos 5 Octa, Samsung may have lost Apple's A7 contract to TSMC

Comments

• Reply 141 of 391
    jragosta wrote: »
    stevel wrote: »
    It's quite sad how there are so many blind loyalists that they will quickly swallow anything written by another blind loyalist. Android is dominating the world market because it's user base is more demanding and not so willing to follow whatever their OEM of choice tells them.

ROTFLMAO.

Android users are more demanding? Then why do they put up with such a crappy OS?

Yeah, looks like someone missed his afternoon feeding :D
  • Reply 142 of 391
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevel View Post

It's quite sad how there are so many blind loyalists that they will quickly swallow anything written by another blind loyalist. Android is dominating the world market because it's user base is more demanding and not so willing to follow whatever their OEM of choice tells them.

To create a brand for which people are loyal is sad?   Not sure, I would call that sad. I would call that an accomplishment.  To not have any loyally to any product because you are unsatisfied with the brand or your purchase is the sad part to companies to make these products.

Android is popular because people are looking for the best perceived bang for the buck.  Lower price can not be overlooked and forces people to consider alternatives to the benchmark.  Most of which are first time smartphone owners.

Unlike products which have a long life time, smartphones are relatively new and units have relative short life spans.  People are willing to gamble on a cheaper product.  Especially if it advertises lots of "features" which may look useful, however its hard to judge if they will actually be used.  This is why first time smartphone owners choose Android vs iOS.  It's cheaper and has many perceive features, including a bigger screen.  More for the money, is the angle. You pay less and are perceived to get more.  Hard to ignore for many first time smart phone owners.

However, its also equally interesting to see how many eventually gravitate to iOS for their second phone.  

Loyalty is not automatic, its earned.   Sorry to hear you have not found a product which makes you loyal to a brand.  Assuming you are a previous Apple owner, its obvious that Apple has failed to earn your loyalty.  

However, I am at a loss as why it appears to sadden you to see others for which Apple has most definitely earned their loyalty. You would think you would be happy for them that they have found a product and brand they love.  Obviously you have not found this product or brand yet. This is what is sad my friend.

However, my gut tells me that what you feel toward others who love the Apple brand may not be "sadness"... I think it may be a different emotion.  Hopefully it is something you are working on figuring out and why it makes you feel this way towards others who are happy with the brand. 

• Reply 143 of 391
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO.

Android users are more demanding? Then why do they put up with such a crappy OS?

Please, please, we need to all stick together on this. We can't waiver now. We need to get more demanding on Apple or we will keep falling behind. We need real high end hardware that will run all features of upcoming OS updates. No more of this leaving out of features for devices that are only a year old like when Siri was introduced. I find it extremely disturbing that so many of my fellow Apple fans are accepting such practices. Android will eat us up alive if we don't do this. I see Android customers jumping from OEM to OEM. Their lack of loyalty is extremely refreshing and so important for the market to keep growing. HTC was an Android monster at first now they are a dying company all because they were not giving the consumer what the consumer wanted. Those android consumer are that demanding. They will let a company die for their mistakes. This is how brutally demanding we Apple customers must be. Please stop the blind loyalty. I beg  you all, please stop it. I will never get the chance to own the Apple device I want if so many other blind loyalist keep falling for the same phone year after year. 

• Reply 144 of 391
    jragosta wrote: »

ROTFLMAO.

Indeed, that's not even someone with a single digit IQ, he's got a negative one!
  • Reply 145 of 391

I for one prefer a company that uses the "throw everything and see what sticks" strategy as it truly reveals a company that is eager to see what the CONSUMER REALLY WANTS.

You don't have a clue what you want, nor how to run a business. Now go sit in the corner and bump your phone. You'd still be using a miniature physical keyboard were it not for Apple.

• Reply 146 of 391
    snova wrote: »

To create a brand for which people are loyal is sad?   Not sure, I would call that sad. I would call that an accomplishment.  To not have any loyally to any product because you are unsatisfied with the brand or your purchase is the sad part to companies to make these products.

Android is popular because people are looking for the best perceived bang for the buck.  Lower price can not be overlooked and forces people to consider alternatives to the benchmark.  Most of which are first time smartphone owners.

Unlike products which have a long life time, smartphones are relatively new and units have relative short life spans.  People are willing to gamble on a cheaper product.  Especially if it advertises lots of "features" which may look useful, however its hard to judge if they will actually be used.  This is why first time smartphone owners choose Android vs iOS.  It's cheaper and has many perceive features, including a bigger screen.  More for the money, is the angle. You pay less and are perceived to get more.  Hard to ignore for many first time smart phone owners.

However, its also equally interesting to see how many eventually gravitate to iOS for their second phone.  
    Loyalty is not automatic, its earned.   Sorry to hear you have not found a product which makes you loyal to a brand.  Assuming you are a previous Apple owner, its obvious that Apple has failed to earn your loyalty.  

However, I am at a loss as why it appears to sadden you to see others for which Apple has most definitely earned their loyalty. You would think you would be happy for them that they have found a product and brand they love.  Obviously you have not found this product or brand yet. This is what is sad my friend.  I don't think what you feel toward other who love Apple as "sadness"... I think it may be a different emotion.

Er, note his join date, number of posts -- then review his posts. They are all anti apple posts on pro Apple site.

Nothing to be gained, for him or us, by encouraging his further activity. Added to block list.
  • Reply 147 of 391
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't have a clue what you want, nor how to run a business. Now go sit in the corner and bump your phone. You'd still be using a miniature physical keyboard were it not for Apple.

Yes this is what I'm talking about. I have to BUMP my phone because Apple does not have NFC. Samsung has had Wifi Direct since the Galaxy S2, and it is amazing. Why can't Apple do such a thing. File transfers are incredibly fast. Please help me make Apple better so we no longer have to download an App and ridiculously Bump our expensive iPhones. These phone are like jewels, we should not be forced to treat them this way just to transfer files and use up data. Wifi Direct is extremely easy, no need to bump anything, and it uses absolutely no data. Maybe you have some suggestions on how we can get Apple to implement this. I'm open to anything to help the iPhone get better and better to be the best iPhone ever. 

• Reply 148 of 391

I have to BUMP my phone because Apple does not have NFC.

Thanks for confirming you've never used an Apple product.

• Reply 149 of 391
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Er, note his join date, number of posts -- then review his posts. They are all anti apple posts on pro Apple site.

Nothing to be gained, for him or us, by encouraging his further activity.

Please don't treat me different because I am new. I've been an Apple customer forever, but I want Apple to get better. We all share that same interest. I hope we can all make that happen. btw, it is nice to meet you Dick. 

• Reply 150 of 391

I've been an Apple customer forever, but

Oh Boy Here We Go.png

• Reply 151 of 391
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung has had Wifi Direct since the Galaxy S2, and it is amazing. Why can't Apple do such a thing. File transfers are incredibly fast. ...Wifi Direct is extremely easy, no need to bump anything, and it uses absolutely no data. 

with all this excitement in your tone, you still are not loyal to Samsung?  What is it going to take to make you loyal to the Samsung brand? Why are you not loyal to Samsung? What could you possiblity not be happy with? We have plenty of Samsung reps here on the forum, I am sure they are listening and would be happy to make you their loyal customer. 

• Reply 152 of 391
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

It would appear that your Apple tinted lenses are making you see things in what I posted that aren't really there.  Whoever you're quoting, it isn't me.

well my electrical engineering glasses were on when I read this and the referenced articles and the fact that the a7 chip has both 64bit and 32bit cores makes 'compatibility mode' somewhat spurious.  Obviously you need better glasses, as you don't see the basic architecture of the a7.  

Out of the box,  if it was compiled in 32bit, you run in 32bit.  and obtw, the next run through Xcode, create a universal binary, send to AppStore, and you're running 64 bit.   Apple's been doing universal binaries for what, 21 years on 7 platforms (68K, rs6000, Sun, HP PA Risk, PowerPc, Intel x86, and ARM) …  they do it better than most.

64 bit is less about the 4gb memory, and more about faster data paths.  This helps graphics (sending 2X the data per clock), as well as encryption (~2x as fast).   And given this is a graphically interface with every application in an encrypted sandbox… 64 bit makes for immediate benefit for a computer that is really measured in response time to display an update to the multi-megapixel screen.

And it does lay down a long term capabilities of Apple's platform (I wonder if Intel is looking at Haswell, and wondering how long MacBook Airs are running on Haswell chips).

• Reply 153 of 391
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

with all this excitement in your tone, you still are not loyal to Samsung?  What is it going to take to make you loyal to the Samsung brand? Why are you not loyal to Samsung? What could you possiblity not be happy with?

I will never buy Samsung, please do not ever suggest such a thing. But I do like the features Samsung has in their phones. Other Android phones don't seem to do the same thing. I want Apple to put in these amazing features like wifi direct. I would like everyone to help me make Apple the industry leader in hardware, not just software. I think it would be amazing. btw, it is nice to meet you as well snova. I feel like I'm making so many friends today. 

• Reply 154 of 391
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

with all this excitement in your tone, you still are not loyal to Samsung?  What is it going to take to make you loyal to the Samsung brand? Why are you not loyal to Samsung? What could you possiblity not be happy with?

I will never buy Samsung, please do not ever suggest such a thing. But I do like the features Samsung has in their phones. Other Android phones don't seem to do the same thing. I want Apple to put in these amazing features like wifi direct. I would like everyone to help me make Apple the industry leader in hardware, not just software. I think it would be amazing. btw, it is nice to meet you as well snova. I feel like I'm making so many friends today. 

Stevel, 

let me be the first then to tell you that Apple has implemented Point to Point Wifi transfer in iOS7 its call AirDrop.  They also already have it in OS X too for a year now and works very well.( 10.8.x - Mountain Lion). I hope this made your day.

• Reply 155 of 391
    I own no Apple products, but have always had high regard for the company. I read all the news about Apple on many Apple sites, but when I read an editorial by Daniel Dilger in Appleinsider, it was like a slap in the face to what I believed was happening at Apple. While not in a downward spiral, Apple certainly lost something special with no forward thinking, just one of many competing for the same demo. That was my take from the many articles I read. What a surprise to learn another side from Mr. Dilger. While I don't appreciate fanboy glows, I do appreciate his obvious work on this article. It has restored my faith in a great company.
  • Reply 156 of 391
    Quote:

btw, it is nice to meet you as well snova. I feel like I'm making so many friends today. 

some people have a positive aura about them and immediately come across as thoughtful, knowledgeable that they immediately draw praise, respect and admiration from everyone around them. You have a gift and I am sure this is the reason why you are so successful here and in your personal life.  Best wishes to you and thank you for caring enough to bring Samsung Wifi Direct vs Apple BUMP transfers to our attention.  Its this kind of insightful posting, targeted at "simple minded" Apple loyalists which directly make them question their happiness with the Apple brand and make the Apple product better in the future. 

• Reply 157 of 391
    Originally Posted by Roy Chalmers View Post

Apple certainly lost something special with no forward thinking

Thanks for your useful and accurate assessment of whatever you're pretending is the case.

• Reply 158 of 391
    undefined
  • Reply 159 of 391
    Excellent article.

1. If Steve Jobs were still alive, no doubt he'd be a real life Tony Stark.

2. With the A7 chip and the fingerprint technology, what evil and devastation could some rogue nation whip up with a stolen or purchased iPhone 5S?
  • Reply 160 of 391

Those saying a move to a 64-bit processor is useless are being short sighted, though yes the immediate benefits aren't great. Apple should be commended for being the first in market.

Those saying Samsung, Qualcomm or other ARM users are only moving to 64-bit processors b/c of Apple's announcement are equally as foolish.  Their designs using ARMv8 have likely been in progress for at least a year and the design, tooling, testing, and manufacturing of a new processor is years in the making.  You cannot "decide" to launch a 64-bit processor in a year.

What is impressive is that Apple was able to be the first to market by a considerable margin. However, I'd expect that by next year, it'll be pretty commonplace.

The A7 is certainly an impressive chip, but the Qualcomm S800 has also been eye-raising this fall with amazing performance and power  sipping. These two are clearly the chips to have at the moment. I wonder what Qualcomm will announce this coming January as that's when they announced the S600 and S800 - they clearly are hitting their stride as well.