Apple draws criticism after pulling Chinese anti-censorship app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Does that work like a proxy? If so, there are plenty of proxy services on the web, although are they all or mostly blocked at this point?

• Reply 22 of 99
    kenwkkenwk Posts: 25member
    Don't blame apple, blame your country. My god people are barking at the wrong tree.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Yeah right. Anything for a buck is ok. Good thinking. Wanna buy some crack ?

Yes, it would be totally idiotic for Apple to allow the app to remain on the store. Apple is not going to go up against the Chinese govt over one little app. Activist types don't think with their brains, and pragmatic thinking is what is needed in this case, not delusional lunacy. The Chinese people should have a revolution if they don't like their govt. Until then, it's business as usual in China, with whomever happens to be in charge.

And why would I want to buy any crack? I am not a crackhead, though I'm pretty sure that if a study were to be commissioned,  it would show that the majority of crackheads are Android users, since after blowing most of their money on crack, they are left with no money to purchase premium mobile devices like Apple offers.

The good news is that Apple devices are highly desirable, they're electronic crack, they're totally legal, and people can't get enough of them, not to mention that they don't come with any of the nasty and deadly side effects that accompanies real crack. 

• Reply 25 of 99
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    darklite wrote: »
    What else are Apple supposed to do? China's laws may be utterly appalling, but if you want to do business there you have to abide by them.
    Very easy answer: do what Amazon does: allow any user to shop in any of Amazon's national stores with a single user ID.
    That way they can abide by the law and remove it from the Chinese AppStore, but people in China simply switch store and buy the app e.g. in the US store.
    The necessity to have a different AppleID for each store is brain-dead in a mobile, globalized economy anyway:
    I travel a lot and anything like public transport information apps, local mobile carrier's apps, local postal system, phone directory, store opening hours apps, etc. are usually only available in each countries AppStores.
    So by now I have half a dozen AppleIDs, and that count is bound to get higher.
    And then one has to even switch stores to download upgrades to apps already in the iTunes library, which is a major waste of time.
    And to make matters worse: iTunes Match is not logged in separately, so after routine app upgrades one has to re-add the machine to iTunes Match with all the scanning, comparing and uploading and waiting and wasted bandwidth that entails.
    What we have now at Apple works well for someone living in a trailer park, not for a globally mobile educated modern person.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    e.g. If you downloaded that same app off a regular website, all you'd have to do to install it to your phone without using the App Store, is drag and drop it onto iTunes. Done! The next time you sync, it'll be on your phone.

Unfortunately that's not possible, that's exactly the one of the main reasons why people have to jail-break iPhones to allow the installation of non-AppStore apps.
    If it were possible what you write only morons were bitching about various forms of Apple censorship which covers anything from Kamasutra apps (incl. kicking out one of the first and best ones while admitting a bunch of blatant imitations of the original one) to silly toy apps to political speech.
    If the AppStore weren't the single point of entry, then I'd be fully on Apple's side controlling what apps are most directly linked in users' minds with the Apple experience; but with the AppStore being an artificially created monopoly, different standards should apply, otherwise with the growing importance of mobile devices, we're facing a corporate instead of government mind control.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Apple will follow that country's laws. That is all there is to it. Yay for Apple.

If you want to bypass China's censors, then get TOR. Dummy.

I may point out that anything that happened in Nazi-Germany was according to the law.
    So why are companies to this day paying retribution for having followed the law?

Because nobody is allowed to hide behind the law and chain of command if the laws run counter to basic HUMAN RIGHTS.

There are more important values than corporate profits in this world.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Whatever happened to 'don't do evil'?

Yeh I know that was google, just playing with your mind.

As everyone says, what can you do? The law is bad but laws are laws.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Yes, it would be totally idiotic for Apple to allow the app to remain on the store. Apple is not going to go up against the Chinese govt over one little app. Activist types don't think with their brains, and pragmatic thinking is what is needed in this case, not delusional lunacy. The Chinese people should have a revolution if they don't like their govt. Until then, it's business as usual in China, with whomever happens to be in charge.

And why would I want to buy any crack? I am not a crackhead, though I'm pretty sure that if a study were to be commissioned,  it would show that the majority of crackheads are Android users, since after blowing most of their money on crack, they are left with no money to purchase premium mobile devices like Apple offers.

The good news is that Apple devices are highly desirable, they're electronic crack, they're totally legal, and people can't get enough of them, not to mention that they don't come with any of the nasty and deadly side effects that accompanies real crack. 

Sorry, I wildly overestimated your intelligence. I didn't think the /s was really necessary.

• Reply 30 of 99
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I agree with you 100% on this issue.

• Reply 31 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Well,  Apple needs to have a good relationship with the Chinese government if they want to sell iDevices there.

It's not a commercial decision - it's a legal one. They have to follow the law. Whether they sell 1 iDevice or a billion, the law is the law.
    rcfa wrote: »
    Very easy answer: do what Amazon does: allow any user to shop in any of Amazon's national stores with a single user ID.

Except that it has nothing at all to do with Apple IDs or the Apple Store. It's about Internet access.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    droidftw wrote: »
    A few years ago Google redirected Chinese users to their Hong Kong Google search which wasn't censored and allowed people to search terms like "tiananmen square" and it royally pissed off the Chinese government.  The Chinese gov't blocked Google and Google caved.  They went back to allowing China to censor search results but Google put a message up to the user saying that the results had been censored.  That message was dropped early this year.

Thanks for that info, I had kind of lost track of the goings on regarding this.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    taniwha wrote: »
    Sorry, I wildly overestimated your intelligence. I didn't think the /s was really necessary.

Just read his posts over the last few years! :no: My theory is he is an Apple hater masquerading as an Apple lover posting stuff to give Apple users a bad name! :\ (OK I am kidding!)

Remember the site has an ignore list. :D
  • Reply 34 of 99
    The more I edited my response, so many thoughts crept in. In the end I realized this Chinese developer has been fortunate enough to have equivalent opportunities as US developers for developing apps for the iPhone/iPad/iPod. He has access to a Mac computer, access to the iOS developer program, has access to iOS 6 and iOS 7, has access to an iPhone and iPad. I write "has" because his app was updated September 17, 2013 to support iOS 7 in the US App Store.

He was able to find the time to study and learn how to develop for iOS. He was tenacious enough to find at least one repeatable way to circumvent Chinese government censors in multi-language iPhone and iPad apps that are on App Stores around the world. Being this capable means the developer is capable enough to find other ways to fight HIS fight. He has chosen to force Apple into his fight because he knows any mention of Apple will immediately reverberate around the world AND that the press will attack Apple for not fighting the Chinese government. He and the press know Apple will not fight the laws of the Chinese government and that plays well for his press fight.

He cannot turn to Google, Microsoft or Yahoo! for this fight. Facebook and Twitter cannot help him. Other US companies do not have big enough platforms the world cares enough about using for his purposes. I do not recall any non-US companies that can be pulled into this fight for worldwide exploitation. Sadly, Apple is the point company for this kind of fight.

So, come Sunday night and Monday morning I expect this story to be critical of Apple in many articles that cover it. I hope to be proven wrong.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    The more I edited my response, so many thoughts crept in. In the end I realized this Chinese developer has been fortunate enough to have equivalent opportunities as US developers for developing apps for the iPhone/iPad/iPod. He has access to a Mac computer, access to the iOS developer program, has access to iOS 6 and iOS 7, has access to an iPhone and iPad. I write "has" because his app was updated September 17, 2013 to support iOS 7 in the US App Store.

He was able to find the time to study and learn how to develop for iOS. He was tenacious enough to find at least one repeatable way to circumvent Chinese government censors in multi-language iPhone and iPad apps that are on App Stores around the world. Being this capable means the developer is capable enough to find other ways to fight HIS fight. He has chosen to force Apple into his fight because he knows any mention of Apple will immediately reverberate around the world AND that the press will attack Apple for not fighting the Chinese government. He and the press know Apple will not fight the laws of the Chinese government and that plays well for his press fight.

He cannot turn to Google, Microsoft or Yahoo! for this fight. Facebook and Twitter cannot help him. Other US companies do not have big enough platforms the world cares enough about using for his purposes. I do not recall any non-US companies that can be pulled into this fight for worldwide exploitation. Sadly, Apple is the point company for this kind of fight.

So, come Sunday night and Monday morning I expect this story to be critical of Apple in many articles that cover it. I hope to be proven wrong.

A well thought out post. Assuming he did indeed think it through as you suggest, I can't blame him for trying. Or perhaps he was more naive but I still can't blame him for trying. At the same time I agree, Apple has to abide by the law of the country. You are right for sure though, it will be yet another basket of rotten tomatoes for the Scamsung paid horde to throw and the media will lap it up and AAPL will no doubt drop because of it. :\
  • Reply 36 of 99
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Yes - I was thinking along the same lines - with so many issues that get media attention - that attention is focused in the wrong place - if you don't agree with the the law don't blame those who abide by the law and celebrate those who flaunt the law - work on getting the law changed. 

• Reply 37 of 99
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/159960/apple-draws-criticism-after-pulling-chinese-anti-censorship-app#post_2412136"]

Quite obviously, you didn't get his implied '/s' either, so looks like you're even.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I support the authoritarian communists in this instance. The main thing that matters is Apple selling more devices in China
    I wonder how China would feel if Apple closed up shop there and moved all of their manufacturing to Taiwan? I'll bet they would be open to negotiating then ...

Your black and white views of China are wildly out of step with reality. If not for outside influences pushing China's human rights policies, there would be no market for iDevices there.

I'm glad I'm not living in your America where the South's economic model was based on slavery, and all that matters is selling more cotton.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Well,  Apple needs to have a good relationship with the Chinese government if they want to sell iDevices there.

It's not a commercial decision - it's a legal one. They have to follow the law. Whether they sell 1 iDevice or a billion, the law is the law.

It is a commercial decision to do business in countries with dubious human rights records. e.g. boycotting South Africa to end Apartheid was not a legal decision (at least at the beginning), but one to decide what's the higher value: some extra profit, or a cleaner conscience. Many companies at the time, some under pressure from customers, decided to forego the profits and withdraw from that country.

But that was a different time, when a large proportion of the American public held the view that corporate profits are not the most important thing in the world.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Except that it has nothing at all to do with Apple IDs or the Apple Store. It's about Internet access.

It has everything to do with AppleIDs and the AppleStore, if you had read properly what I wrote, you'd realize that.

If AppleIDs would, like Amazon customer IDs, allow to be used in any of the national iTunes Stores, then Apple could comply with Chinese law and remove the app from the Chines AppStore, while Chinese customers could simply sign in to the US AppStore with the same AppleID and buy the product from an off-shore AppStore where Chinese law doesn't apply.

It would then be up to the Chinese government to try to block access to the US AppStore, Apple would be compliant, but Chinese customers could still buy the app by using a different AppStore.

Apple however doesn't allow using an AppleID from one country in another country's AppStore or iTunes store (unlike Amazon). So e.g. for me to download an Austrian store opening app, I first have to create an extra AppleID, create some Austrian form of payment, etc. (even if only buying a local Austrian iTunes Store gift card). These are hurdles that are close to impossible to bypass for a Chinese person unless they first leave the country or have a personal friend outside China who cooperates with them in that bypass maneuver.

• Reply 40 of 99
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

You'd think the Chinese government would just take one look at the US, see how well it works politically and immediately adopt its values. It's astonishing that they've chosen to go their own way.