Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I meant that when the 4S is eol there won't be another 3.5" iPhone.

When...

• Reply 42 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Does anyone who critiques larger screen iPhone ever used phablets?

I'm not hide %u2014 i'm an Apple fan, but once i've tryed Samsung Note for an hour, i realized my next iPhone will have at least 5 inch screen.

Somebody left the door open again...

• Reply 43 of 96
    Quote:

Somebody left the door open again...

what door?

• Reply 44 of 96
    akqies wrote: »
    If they do maybe they can be as clever as Samsung in that regard. /s

[VIDEO ^]

1) that is 1 fugly phone

2) still the guy needs both hands to show us how to operate it

3) typical Samsung style; having to option to put the smaller screen in the middle of the physical screen; still needing large hands

"round peg, meet square hole"
    No creo que sea necesario un iPhone más grande, actualmente tiene el tamaño perfecto para agarrarlo y usarlo con una mano además de qué cabe perfectamente en la bolsa del pantalón. He visto a otros usar sus teléfonos enormes y parece que están hablando con un ladrillo!

No creo que sea necesario un iPhone más grande, actualmente tiene el tamaño perfecto para agarrarlo y usarlo con una mano además de qué cabe perfectamente en la bolsa del pantalón. He visto a otros usar sus teléfonos enormes y parece que están hablando con un ladrillo!

Welcome to the American-English forum.

Is that a brick in your pocket or are you just happy to see me...  :D

Flat-out happy ¡
  • Reply 45 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Can we PLEASE change the posting rights in this forum?

All new users should have their posts reviewed by a moderator(first 5 posts).  If they are deemed to be Apple bashers they should be banned.  Why is this so hard?  The other forums have these rules and it really cuts down on these spammers.

They've checked my address — apple haters can't use an @me.com emails

• Reply 46 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sergey wrote: »
    what door?
    It's assumed you are a fan if you post here. You don't need to tell people you're a fan. It's a common troll tactic. That and it was one of your first posts.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    Quote:

i still dont understand these losers who go through all the trouble to setup an account to post anti-Apple propaganda.

Either they are real losers living in momma's basement or they are being paid by Samdung.

Man, relax. Here is no apple haters. Relax.

I just wanna bigger screen iPhone

• Reply 48 of 96
    sog35 wrote: »

All new users should have their posts reviewed by a moderator(first 5 posts).  If they are deemed to be Apple bashers they should be banned.  Why is this so hard?  The other forums have these rules and it really cuts down on these spammers.

The site owners wouldn't do anything that reduces ad impressions. Trolling helps drive content on these forums. Why do you think they keep posting troll bait articles in the first place?
  • Reply 49 of 96
    Quote:

tell me what Apple product you own and the serial number.

if you can't give me that information you are LYING

wow! You are really crazy man

MB Air c02gpft8djyd

2 years old

i hope it helps you to feel fine :)

my first mac was lc II if you know it...

• Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

wow! You are really crazy man

MB Air c02gpft8djyd

2 years old

i hope it helps you to feel fine :)

my first mac was lc II if you know it...

Well, at least you got the 2. The LC was a dog... imo.

• Reply 51 of 96
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    andysol wrote: »
    For example- the HTC One (ignore the fact it runs crap android)- has a fantastic front build.  I think better than the iPhone because of how thin the top and bottom bezel is.  It's, obviously, larger than the iPhone- a hair too big for my taste, but something in between would be great.  Even taking the existing size of the iPhone and getting similar-sized bezels would increase the screen size immensely.

I don't think they can do that though, especially now with the touch ID on the home button. That button is there to stay and the bezels will stay symmetric. FaceTime is a major feature with iOS too and having the front-facing camera centered is better so it has to sit level with the speaker as that's where the ear sits on a call. They may get away with having the speaker on either side of the camera hole but maybe not.

If they are planning to stick to one-handed use, the biggest I'd see them going is 4.3" like the HTC One Mini:

[VIDEO]

That's pretty much the limit of one-handed use as the Blackberry Z10 demonstrated. It also wouldn't require them to increase the resolution as it should still be just above 300 ppi. If they went higher, it would probably have to double to 2272x1280.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Again Analysis idiots, they think because Apple make inquiries into suppliers to provide prototype of a display or various sizes does not mean they are going to make into a release product.

This is why all these rumor start they hear Apple is looking at some specific technology and they immediately think it must be a product. Apple has made it clear they look at lots of things before they decide on what path to take forward.

An for those individual who want a large display whether you have a need to have big things in your hands, of you have some deficiency in your body requiring the larger display you have to realize you a small majority of the users out there. Apple has show they are not going to dilute the products line chasing a smaller market segment unless if have some strategic importance to the overall product offering. Remember they are not the Me Too company, we all know who they are.

In reality you have no idea how well a larger iPhone around 4.8" for example would sell. What proof do you have that there isn't a massive pent-up demand by current iPhone owners for a larger screen? I have bought a 4S, 5, and now 5s and I hate the screen sizes and want a larger display. I hate Android more so I stick with the iPhone but that doesn't mean I like the display size. Not to mention possibly millions of Android users who only buy a Glaxy for the display size and would switch to an iPhone in a heartbeat if it didn't have such a tiny display. Once Apple releases a larger version and if it flops then you can crow about how you were right. My expectation is that it will far outsell a 4" version because a bigger display is better in every way that matters to using a modern smartphone where looking at the screen is far more important than using it as a phone. One handed use is also far overrated. I use my iPhone 5 in landscape mode more often than portrait mode which is better suited for 2 handed use. Many apps now only work in landscape mode which was rare a few years back. 

The best option for Apple is to continue making a 4" version for the people that love tiny screens and like to use it one handed and make a second model at least 4.7" or larger for the rest of us who really want a bigger display. A 4.3" model would piss off both camps and make few happy.

• Reply 53 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You remind me of Boehner saying he doesn't have the votes to end the shut down.  In reality you have no idea how well a larger iPhone around 4.8" for example would sell. What proof do you have that there isn't a massive pent-up demand by current iPhone owners for a larger screen? I have bought a 4S, 5, and now 5s and I hate the screen sizes and want a larger display. I hate Android more so I stick with the iPhone but that doesn't mean I like the display size. Not to mention possibly millions of Android users who only buy a Glaxy for the display size and would switch to an iPhone in a heartbeat if it didn't have such a tiny display. Once Apple releases a larger version and if it flops then you can crow about how you were right. My expectation is that it will far outsell a 4" version because a bigger display is better in every way that matters to using a modern smartphone where looking at the screen is far more important than using it as a phone. One handed use is also far overrated. I use my iPhone 5 in landscape mode more often than portrait mode which is better suited for 2 handed use. Many apps now only work in landscape mode which was rare a few years back. 

The best option for Apple is to continue making a 4" version for the people that love tiny screens and like to use it one handed and make a second model at least 4.7" or larger for the rest of us who really want a bigger display. A 4.3" model would piss off both camps and make few happy.

There's irony in your post:

"In reality you have no idea how well a larger iPhone around 4.8" for example would sell."

"A 4.3" model would piss off both camps and make few happy."

• Reply 54 of 96
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I believe Apple will go the opposite way. Smaller instead of bigger:

iPhone = 4" screen

iPhone mini = 3,5" screen

iPhone nano? / iWatch? = ?" screen

Before I go: To all those phablet people out there. Why would you need a bigger screen to make a phone call? Would you be happy using an iWatch in combo with your iPad mini?

• Reply 55 of 96
    I hope this is not true. It's a small change but can be a headache for developers to make two, maybe three resolution for their apps.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"In reality you have no idea how well a larger iPhone around 4.8" for example would sell."

No irony. You are right I have no idea how well it would sell. It might flop and it might sell twice as many as the 4" little sister. My gut tells me it would sell better IF it were priced the same and probably lower sales if priced higher. If Apple expands the line with a 3rd model I would expect them to keep the different pricing and would add an extra $100 to the price or $299 on contract. The only way this debate will ever be settled is if it comes to pass. But as soon as it is confirmed I know my 5s will be up on Ebay pretty quick. My point is that not you, not I, not anyone can tell just how many people would or would not prefer a larger iPhone if given a choice since we have never had one. 

• Reply 57 of 96
    sog35 wrote: »

Moderators already moderate threads, and there are some rules they abide. Guidelines are here:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/143315/guidelines
  • Reply 58 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think they can do that though, especially now with the touch ID on the home button. That button is there to stay and the bezels will stay symmetric. FaceTime is a major feature with iOS too and having the front-facing camera centered is better so it has to sit level with the speaker as that's where the ear sits on a call. They may get away with having the speaker on either side of the camera hole but maybe not.

If they are planning to stick to one-handed use, the biggest I'd see them going is 4.3" like the HTC One Mini:

Ya! That's the one I was thinking of- the HTC One Mini- I love that look.  The bottom they could still do- because it has the speaker and their own black bar of "HTC"- both of those removed would approx. be the home button size.  The top bar, if they split the speakers- it could still have the camera in middle (Which- I agree- the camera should definitely be in the middle).  We'll see with the iPhone 6.  The is little doubt in my mind they will increase the size.  It's just to what size, and how they'll do it.  It'll be a thing of beauty, I'm sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He does have ya there gwmac. ;)  I agree with gw completely on his post, although his assumption could easily be correct.  I know, personally, I would gladly buy a larger iPhone- 4.3-4.8" over a 4". I'd also gladly pay a $100 premium.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

To all those phablet people out there. Why would you need a bigger screen to make a phone call? Would you be happy using an iWatch in combo with your iPad mini?

I don't want a phablet, but I do want a bigger screen.  I wouldn't need a bigger screen to make a phone call, just as you wouldn't need a smaller one to.  But in reality, I use my phone very little as a phone.  It is a surfing device while I wait for a meeting, or a number of other items.

For example, I like to look at the AppleInsider page in desktop mode on my phone- not mobile- because you can see the "thumbs up" and reputation added.  This allows me to scan through the pages and see comments that are typically good, or funny, without having to read all the comments.  Now- go ahead and put desktop mode on your iPhone and check out the size.  Yikes!  So I have to go to landscape mode.  Now with iOS 7, scrolling down, I occasionally bring up control center.  It's a whip.  A bigger phone would fix this- I could stay in portrait mode- and I could actually use the AI app.

This is one of a hundred things I could mention the benefit for.  I agree with those wanting to keep the phone 4"- I'm just saying to add an option for size because people's uses are different.  Again, every other product line they has multiple sizes.

• Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

No irony. You are right I have no idea how well it would sell. It might flop and it might sell twice as many as the 4" little sister. My gut tells me it would sell better IF it were priced the same and probably lower sales if priced higher. If Apple expands the line with a 3rd model I would expect them to keep the different pricing and would add an extra $100 to the price or $299 on contract. The only way this debate will ever be settled is if it comes to pass. But as soon as it is confirmed I know my 5s will be up on Ebay pretty quick. My point is that not you, not I, not anyone can tell just how many people would or would not prefer a larger iPhone if given a choice since we have never had one. 

I remember the debates when it was rumored that Apple was going to build a 4" iPhone. A lot of people swore that the 3.5" phone was the perfect size and it was idiotic to follow the 'trends'.

The future is clear...  ;)
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Wrong thread