Bringing 5C made 5S a huge hit :p

• Reply 82 of 215
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's what you got from my post?

lol

Since you had no facts, yes.
    yuniverse wrote: »
    What's mysterious about it?

1. Price - Should have been free, or $49 at most.

2. Colors - looks cheap. I don't mind having colored sets, but these hues are cheap looking on these plastic bodies. They should have chosen slightly different hues to make them look more expensive. Steve Jobs would never have allowed these atrocious colors.

Another "Jobs would never" post. Perhaps you never saw the iMac colors and patterns back in the day.
  • Reply 83 of 215
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seriously?

Lack of precise knowledge doesn't seem to have stopped you from opinions in the past.

... and I don't say that sarcastically or with malice.
    All I'm saying is we don't have any sales figures, we don't know how many 5C's were produced or what the production schedule was/is and we don't know what Apple's internal expectations are. So calling the 5C a success or failure at this point isn't possible because we have no hard, solid data to go from.
  • Reply 84 of 215
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Another "Jobs would never" post. Perhaps you never saw the iMac colors and patterns back in the day.

Or the iPod minis. I'd take the 5C colors over the iPod mini colors any day. Of course if Apple released iPods with the mini colors today people would say Steve wouldn't have approved. :lol:

ipodmini_fam_f.10812.jpg
  • Reply 85 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregg Thurman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

2. 'With everything you have read so far do you think that Apple has exceeded its expectations with the 5c?'

I do.  The 5C is not intended to be adored by those seeking iPhone 5S power/performance/functionality.  Its purpose is to replace the iPhone 5, which did not adequately address the world's LTE networks.  The iPhone 5C does and costs less to produce.  Doing what it is intended to, (replace the iPhone 5, not compete with the iPhone 5S), the iPhone 5C is a resounding success.

Those that disagree are still smarting over the fact that Apple did not address the sub $400 market (one that Apple isn't interested in), and continue to worship at the altar of market share as the holy grail.

I do.  The 5C is not intended to be adored by those seeking iPhone 5S power/performance/functionality.  Its purpose is to replace the iPhone 5, which did not adequately address the world's LTE networks.  The iPhone 5C does and costs less to produce.  Doing what it is intended to, (replace the iPhone 5, not compete with the iPhone 5S), the iPhone 5C is a resounding success.

Those that disagree are still smarting over the fact that Apple did not address the sub $400 market (one that Apple isn't interested in), and continue to worship at the altar of market share as the holy grail.

I think that's right. It not only replaces the 5, it offers some improvements on it, including a bigger battery, a slightly better camera, and wider LTE access. It's also possible to see the hardened plastic case as an improvement for those who do not want to buy an extra iPhone cover, since the hardened plastic will wear and resist drops better than the soft aluminum (to hold its value, a 5S pretty much requires that a separate cover be bought, adding perhaps $40 or more to the cost). And it's in a wider range of colors, colors that can be matched to the background color of the touchscreen for even more interest factor. Couple that with discounts being offered by non-Apple retailers, and you're looking at saving a cool $200 over the 5S. Of course, you don't get the better camera, the fingerprint sensor or the 64 bit coprocessor. But you do get last year's top of the line iPhone with some improvements for less money.

The fact that the shell is much easier to manufacture in quantity is, of course, not incidental. Apple needed desperately to bump its ability to match its product availability to demand. It left a lot of money on the table last holiday season because it had no high volume mid-range or low-range phone to offer. One could even argue that lack of sufficient production was ultimately behind a good chunk of AAPL's drop in share price over the last year.

And the idea that Apple ever intended the 5C to somehow compete actively against the 5S makes no sense. The 5S is high end. The 5C is mid-range. The 4S is low end. It really is too obvious for words.

Finally, I've physically handled and looked over a 5C. They're very, very nice phones. Anyone who says otherwise is almost certainly saying that for some ulterior reason.

• Reply 86 of 215
    I purchased (2) 5c in green 32 gb model and have to say I am rather happy with it overall. And the lower cost is nice since I didn't want to sign contracts and patience isn't my strong suit for me and my wife, which needed new phones in the middle of our trip across the country.
  • Reply 87 of 215
    "If hastily drawing such a connection seemed a bit premature,"

Coming from the same site - appleinsider that prematurely jumps and states that apple 64bit wasn't made by samsung ? And that apple abandon samsung for the a7 chip
    Really ? Look at yourself in the mirror first before you slam such statement. Journalism should be fair and equal.

I read appleinsider as a laugh - it's a joke of a site.
  • Reply 88 of 215
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

2. Colors - looks cheap. I don't mind having colored sets, but these hues are cheap looking on these plastic bodies. They should have chosen slightly different hues to make them look more expensive. Steve Jobs would never have allowed these atrocious colors.

I think Jony Ive is all about letting materials be true to themselves, and so when he used plastic he naturally used plasticky colours. But if you actually play with one they're not cheap seeming.

• Reply 89 of 215

While I appreciate that Brother Dilger is trying his best here, the fact is his fellow dweebs on the money tree continue to do what they do, as does he.

Meanwhile, Apple rises and falls on its own merits, not from anyone's hot air.

A little straightforward reporting on numbers is good.  But trying to smack down the other kids at the other end of the block is a fool's errand, or at best merely playing their game by their rules -- although I am sure (as with them) it sells advertising and possibly even souls.  

And those last are what all "blogs" and "analyses" and "journalism", etc. are all about, leave us not forget.

Buy low, and hold long.  The rest is cheap entertainment, when one has the time.

• Reply 90 of 215
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    @island hermit

???? do you have a standard?

I doubt it is as high as Apple's.
  • Reply 91 of 215
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    adamc wrote: »
    @island hermit

???? do you have a standard?

I doubt it is as high as Apple's.

jungmark wrote: »
    Jung- you and rogi are correct. Island is wrong- yet again (what's new?). He has no idea what apples expectations are- so he can't argue of they're good or bad. Although he pretends to know what their expectations are. How? No clue- he won't reveal his sources.

What we can't argue with is if the 5c has been a commercial success. All numbers and signs point to yes! But I think island wants it to fail, so he will pretend that apple shares his views. Strange bird that one...
  • Reply 92 of 215

I doubt if DED is thinking of leaving... why don't you? His thesis is simple (so are you): Why does the press treat Apple one way, and everyone else in a different manner? When the same benchmarks are applied Apple is doing quite well. It really looks a lot like the Apple hating which was going on before 2000. Are these "unbiased" observers holders of iPhones (I have read that many of them are) wanting to see Apple fail? Apple might if they listened to these bozos (like you). You don't like it here... you know the solutions don't you. If you went to college how did you do in Logic (I dread to ask)?

• Reply 93 of 215
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    ducati31 wrote: »
    "If hastily drawing such a connection seemed a bit premature,"

Coming from the same site - appleinsider that prematurely jumps and states that apple 64bit wasn't made by samsung ? And that apple abandon samsung for the a7 chip
    Really ? Look at yourself in the mirror first before you slam such statement. Journalism should be fair and equal.

I read appleinsider as a laugh - it's a joke of a site.

Yes, many clowns made their way here.
  • Reply 94 of 215

I must wonder if everyone putting down the 5c has actually used one. I have both a 5s (space grey 64GB) and a 5c (green 16GB). Both on my desk in front of me. One os my personal phone, the other is for my part-time small business (Apple, if you;re listening, I would have paid the same as the sum of the two phones for a single phone with two SIM slots).

In everyday use, the phones are pretty much the same. Apps feel just as fast on wither.  Cellular and Wi-Fi speeds are the same. The quality of the display is the same. The overall experience is pretty much the same.  The fingerprint sensor in the 5c takes about as long to read my finger as it takes me to punch in my passcode.  The 5s looks more high-end, but the 5c looks like it would be more durable.  Perhaps when 64-bit actually makes a difference, the 5s will be far superior, but for the average user, we're not there yet.

As for pricing and contracts and all, the US is a bit of an exception compared to the rest of the world. I'm in Canada, and the Apple Store sells fully unlocked phones.  I can choose to go with a smaller regional carrier than gives me unlimited everything on 3G for $30/month.  If I go with a large nationwide carrier, I get a discount off my plan for having brought in my own phone, and I have access to cheaper plans than those that are offered on contract. Or anyone can just go prepaid. Plus when I go to the US, I use a T-Mobile SIM that give me all I need for 3$/day instead of crazy roaming packages.  When you're buying your phone up front, the 100$ does make a difference for some people.

What I'm curious to see is whether the lack of availability of 5s resulted in an increase of sales of the 5c.  Still today, 5s units are hard to come by, and when they are available, they're typically the expensive 64GB ones.  I'm sure a lot of people decided to get a 5c when faced with the shortage of 5s.

That being said, I'm considering giving my wife an iPhone to replace her Motorola Razr V that is stuck on Android 4.0 with no updates coming.  The choice of 5s or 5c for her isn't obvious.  Her Moto has taken a number of falls, slips and tumbles; I'm not sure how a 5s would hold up.  It's too bad the 5c isn't available as Product(red).  A 5c in her favourite colour would trump any technical advantage of the 5s.

• Reply 95 of 215
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Great article imo. I think resellers are doing a small discount on the 5c because for the first time at an iphone launch they have inventory to play with.

Other sites are reporting Apple to announce ipad 5 with A7X and retina ipad mini with A7. This should hit AI news soon imo.

I am also seeing this:

Apple to introduce new monitors along with the mac pro launch, one being a 4k monitor.
    Apple to introduce a new Apple TV box with multiple storage configurations.

Looks like we will have a big event.
  • Reply 96 of 215
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Apple is usually a pretty inclusive company. Striving to appeal to as large a demographic as possible. Excluding everyone over the age of 9 with this color selection is very un-Apple.
  • Reply 97 of 215
    I completely get where this is article is coming.  Apple's issue a good problem to have, so to throw the word "failure" anywhere in the sentence is a big stretch, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple miss calculated something, somewhere along the way.

My guess is Apple expected the 5C to cannibalize 5S sales more than it did, but we are still seeing VERY high iPhone sales numbers and the 5C is contributing handily to that.  They probably modeled sales in a way that had these two phones performing similarly to the iPad / iPad mini.  They are now finding out this has its own, unique market.  You live you learn.  You aren't going to try a new sales strategy and get it 100% right the first time.  That [S]almost[/S] never happens.  

The real thing I want to see analyzed is if the 5C going to be worth it (from a financial perspective) in the long run.  My guess is Apple came up with the 5C under the assumption that releasing an updated model of last year's phone would create more buzz and desire for the "old" phone and improve overall sales.  So far, that seems to be the case, but will it ultimately prove to be worth the time and energy to re-design, re-engineer, and re-tool so much stuff for a new version of a old phone?  Would they be better off sticking with the old model as they have for years?  

Now, that's an interesting question.
  • Reply 98 of 215
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew Payne View Post

I've never worked for a cellular phone company, but if the salespeople get any kind of commission like payment, I'd guess they'd steer customers toward the 5s.

No spiffs for iPhones (or any Apple product).
  • Reply 99 of 215
    drew0020 wrote: »
    In typical (as of late) apple insider had yet another fan boy article for no apparent reason.

You seem to have mistaken this site for some other site.
  • Reply 100 of 215
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's not Apple's fault if someone expected something they never promised.

Apple doesn't promise anything. Analysts and rumor sites who publicize and exult their "predictions" make all the promises. If you believe AppleInsider, Ming-Chi Kuo is practically in charge of Apple.