Hands on with the new 64-bit A7, Retina display iPad mini and iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

I am done with iPads its Dell venue 11 pro for me cheaper than iPad here and a full PC.

Enjoy your crap. Maybe you’ll stop posting here, too.

• Reply 22 of 70
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

If you intend to use the retina display to read books, the new iPads are still 66 - 132% heavier than a Kindle paperwhite. I welcome any and all weight reductions.

I've passed the threshold of needing more megapixels. I'm not saying Apple should stop improving the sensors, just that shoving in more megapixels won't accomplish that.

<edit>PaulMJohnson gets it. My thoughts exactly.

Agreed.  I received a kindle touch for Christmas and (horrible, horrible interface notwithstanding) it's a better size and weight for reading books on my commute than my iPad mini or my full-sized iPad.  And the fact that it's cheap plastic (and cheap) makes it better for just throwing in my bag.  The lighter and more rugged the iPad mini becomes the more likely I am to ditch my kindle.  And switching from my mini to my full sized iPad just makes me think "nice screen, but this thing is heavy."  So the iPad Air is a nice improvement.

I do wish Apple had done away with that "extra" $29 for the mobile data version ($100 should be enough of a premium; $129 strikes me as arbitrary, and dare I say, greedy at this point in the technology cycle).

• Reply 23 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Nothing hands on in that review. Snarky put downs, links to his own articles but nothing resembling a hands on. I mean you can make up "hands on" easy enough. I'll start...

I picked up the iPad Air. Boy was it light....
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I care.

I stopped using the iPad 3 in favor of the Mini because the 3 was just too heavy for prolonged reading when only holding it with one hand. Now it seems I'll be able to have the best of both worlds, with the bigger screen and the lightness.

What I don't care about is them putting a higher resolution camera in the iPad. Indeed I'd be in favor of then removing the rear camera to stop assholes at sporting events holding an iPad up in the air, blocking everyone else's view.

I wonder how much, if at all, this is going against Apple's image? Not that Apple can do much about anyone being ignorant or using their good for evil, but could people build resentment against Apple due to these ignorant users? Would be an interesting case study. 

• Reply 25 of 70
    I wonder how much, if at all, this is going against Apple's image? Not that Apple can do much about anyone being ignorant or using their good for evil, but could people build resentment against Apple due to these ignorant users? Would be an interesting case study. 

The Formula 1 race in Austin last year was the first and only time I've ever hated Apples technology.

Obviously it wasn't their fault, but the sea of iPad screens being held aloft really tested my patience.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

The Formula 1 race in Austin last year was the first and only time I've ever hated Apples technology.

Obviously it wasn't their fault, but the sea of iPad screens being held aloft really tested my patience.

Hmmmm … Aftermarket opportunity, perhaps … iPad Camera Periscopes!!! ;) Much less obtrusive to people behind you… Have them on articulated flexible stalks, like some of those camera tripods or iPad stands. (and no, I'm not being serious)

• Reply 27 of 70
    Hmmmm … Aftermarket opportunity, perhaps … iPad Camera Periscopes!!! ;) Much less obtrusive to people behind you… Have them on articulated flexible stalks, like some of those camera tripods or iPad stands. (and no, I'm not being serious)

That's a good idea. I could have taken one and shoved it up the backside of the moron in front of me who held his iPad up for half the race.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

That's a good idea. I could have taken one and shoved it up the backside of the moron in front of me who held his iPad up for half the race.

Wait until people start throwing rocks, marbles, and coins at the screens in protest. 

• Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

Dual purpose: colonoscopy & social engineering :)

• Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Dual purpose: colonoscopy & social engineering :)

And be sure not to mix the two :no:

• Reply 31 of 70
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I have no idea why Apple still makes those terrible covers. They are flimsy, they easily come off, they topple over when you stand vertically, and they don't allow for portrait.

I love mine on my iPad 3.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    mike mann wrote: »
    Why in the heck would someone buy an iPad 2 for $399 when you can buy a 4th generation iPad off the Apple refurb store (with no flaws and the full warranty) for $379?
    Or a mini with all the features of the 5th gen full, in a smaller display at same price?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Or a mini with all the features of the 5th gen full, in a smaller display at same price?

Why buy a large iPad if it won't fit into your small bag. Not everyone like to lug that thing around everyday. The mini has better portability to many. Simple.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    cash907 wrote: »
    My black case is holding up nicely, aside from some light fraying up in the top right corner. The other colors are absolutely ugly as sin. As I've said in other posts, I don't know who is deciding on the new color palette, but they need to go back to whatever hell these washed out pastel vomit colors came from. I have the original dark blue leather smart cover on my 3, and it looks simple and classy in the office. Aside from the tan, which is waaaay too light anyway, black is the only suitable color for the adult world.

I had to return 2 until getting a black. the simple oil from fingers makes it gross in a week.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    queuequeue Posts: 28member
    Looks like there's gonna be an iPad Pro in the works. That serves as a bedroom TV?
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Really wanted to see Touch ID. Now that KeyChain has been implemented in iOS7, it would seem that Touch ID might be a more significant feature to possess on the iPads.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

Really wanted to see Touch ID. Now that KeyChain has been implemented in iOS7, it would seem that Touch ID might be a more significant feature to possess on the iPads.

I was hoping the same, but with all the manufacturing issues the 5s is having, and I'm sure Apple knew about them well in advance, that they opted not to on the iPad until those issues were resolved. Why have 3 product lines not able to ship? 

• Reply 38 of 70
    stompystompy Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I do wish Apple had done away with that "extra" $29 for the mobile data version ($100 should be enough of a premium; $129 strikes me as arbitrary, and dare I say, greedy at this point in the technology cycle).

Dare to dream!

Seriously though, it would've been a good day to drop the $30. I'd bet lots more people are considering a cellular iPad -- especially those whose usage matches up nicely with the 200MB Free plan that T-Mobile announced.

Would the psychological difference between $499 and $529 (16gm mini) increase Apple's total profit? I'm sure Apple has studied it, but like you said, I still wish they'd drop that extra $30.

• Reply 39 of 70
    I was hoping the same, but with all the manufacturing issues the 5s is having, and I'm sure Apple knew about them well in advance, that they opted not to on the iPad until those issues were resolved. Why have 3 product lines not able to ship? 

Oh really? Why is there no manufacturing issue on the space grey iPhone5s? . The gold is not real gold so I don't get it. Is this some kind of fake marketing to get people to think one is "more" valuable or something to keep up demand?
  • Reply 40 of 70
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pokerbear wrote: »
    I like the incremental improvements to the iPad - really. I will also be upgrading to the new iPad.
    These really aren't incremental improvements. In the case of the iPad Mini this is a major upgrade from the previous release one machine.
    But Apple seems to like to tout the thinness and weight of iPads.
    They are selling points people understand. Yes some people are stupid enough to believe a few once makes all the difference when it comes to usability. I imagine these same people have never picked up a novel or other text of any size to read or study.
    Ok, they're light already. No one cares anymore.
    You don't care but many of the limp wristed individual reading this forum groove to the idea of ever lighter devices.
    Instead of spending so much time and money on these engineering achievements, they should be focusing on features.
    No you have raised my dander. Do you believe that any of the following aren't features:
    1. 64 bit ARM hardware, actually not just 64 bit but everything that goes into A7.
    2. M7 extreme low power co processor.
    3. Retina on the Mini
    4. Free iWork and other apps.
    5. A new version of iOS and everything that implies.
    6. Improved cameras.
    Where's the sapphire home button for iPads?
    It will probably come with Touch ID when they have the volume to fill the demand. Building an extra 20 million sensors a quarter is a big task for something brand new and begin ramped up.
    When other firms are at 40 megapixel cameras, Apple is still at 5 or 6 megapixel.
    Since when is a 40 megapixel cell phone camera a hands down winner over more conventional cameras.
    The cameras don't handle varying light conditions very well, and the interface is lacking.
    That may be so but they do what is required of them very well. Besides what tablet out there has a technically better camera? No spec mind you but a tablet camera that actually takes better pictures.
    Why do I pay extra for a cover.
    Actually that is a good question, Apple does seem to have a habit of selling incomplete tools. On the other hand it has stimulated the cover and case market.
    Can they integrate a bluetooth keypad into a cover?
    Sure they can if they really want too.
    I'd much rather get these types of features than to lose a few mm's and oz's. Just my opinion.

Hey now, I wouldn't mind iPhones bleeding edge camera in an iPad myself. However i'm not one to sit around blowing smoke about the lack of features in the new iPads when it is pretty obvious that they are feature loaded. In simple terms these are massive improvements over the old machines. To try to imply that they are trivial updates just makes you look foolish.