Customized Product (RED) Mac Pro revealed for upcoming charity auction

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

I'd give my left nut for that. Ok. Fanboy out.

I'm sure Colorware can help you out with whatever color you want. My kids did it for my Macbook Air for Christmas last year, though I would have chosen a different color than pink.

• Reply 62 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

By that logic, we should all be riding bicycles and living in tents and definitely should not be owning computers to use to post on websites. It's all relative, owning a $500 laptop would be like owning a mansion in Africa just like you owning a $500 laptop is like Jony Ive owning a $60,000 red Mac Pro.

It's not in bad taste to have nice things, even nicer things than other people, in everyday life. I'm not talking about everyday life, but specifically about a charity auction where the target are the poorest of the poor, and the auction items are the richest of the rich, and the image/contrast that creates.

• Reply 63 of 69

These 'charity' auctions are just so that the ultra-rich can show who has the biggest penis in the room.

If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd donate their money freely, regularly and quietly. Instead, this gives them a way to publicly show off how much they 'really care'.

Plus the fact that Bono (the arrogant money-hiding prick of mediocre pop band U2 fame) is partly responsible for product(RED) tells you all you need to know about how 'charitable' this really is.

It's still a good looking machine though. Just don't go getting all warm and fuzzy inside thinking that buying this is doing one damned thing to stop AIDS in Africa.

• Reply 64 of 69
    Is it even established if the proceeds of the sale go completely to Product Red? One would assume so but you never know.

Sadly I think the Product(Red) charity is more about hijacking good will from customers for the benefit of the businesses concerned. The same thing happens for loads of other charities that partner with brands. A tiny proportion of the cost of the item goes to the charity which is then mostly eaten up by overheads, staff, promotion and brand management and very little gets on the ground.

Apple said they've raised $65 million for Product(Red) since partnering with them about 10 years ago, so while that's still a decent figure it's a drop in the ocean for Apple and its income over the same period and they would've benefited from the association much more than that.

As for the Mac Pro I'd definitely prefer a chrome version!
  • Reply 65 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nanoakron wrote: »
    These 'charity' auctions are just so that the ultra-rich can show who has the biggest penis in the room.

"I once tried setting my password to penis but it was too short"

On topic: good post!
  • Reply 66 of 69
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    philboogie wrote: »

Try using "tehBig1Johnson.

Works everytime :-)
    "Industrial Strength passwords only on AI !
    They go the distance." (TM)
  • Reply 67 of 69
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Heeheehehe, boys are gross, it's always PeePee this, PeePee that.

• Reply 68 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    robm wrote: »

Try using "tehBig1Johnson.

Funny that, "name or password combination is already in use"
    relic wrote: »

Heeheehehe, boys are gross, it's always PeePee this, PeePee that.

Lame attempt at humour, sorry about that.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    You have a very nice and informative website. I also have a similar website Which belongs to data recovery, Apple i mac & i phone repair. Have a look on Apple iPhone repair Madrid