Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That does appear to be exactly what happened. DED making equivalent errors in his article is simply careless; Microsoft allowing them in their own spreadsheet commercial is far more amusing.

Fair do's. :)

• Reply 82 of 230
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defconi View Post

What I love about this site is how deep and intelligent analyses are.

But, sometimes it is so ridiculously biased that I, a faithful apple client, feel very disappointed and upset.

Is this a joke? Sorry, different sense of humor.

Let's be honest, Excel is the de facto standard for spreadsheet calculations.

Of course it can calulate, and it is far more powerful than apple numbers.

The explanation?

The $500 cell is highlighted in the picture. Which is the amount by which the total amount is off.

Answer... it could have been typed into the cell and not confirmed yet by pressing ENTER.

No bug there.

If you had bothered even to skim through the comments before posting you would have seen numerous reasons why that is not a possible explanation.

• Reply 83 of 230
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

DED article shows a massive issue with numbers and the errors are present in all versions from "iPhone, a Macintosh, or even the beta version of iWork for iCloud accessible via a web browser".

Here are a list of errors

1. List Car twice in pie chart

2. Omits Surf Rentals

3. Car percentage wrong (yellow slice)

4. Food percentage wrong (orange slice)

5. Drive Rentals percentage wrong (red slice)

6. Car (again. assume to be Surf rentals) percentage wrong  (purple slice)

7. Total of pie chart is 99%. 

Thanks DED for showing massive issues with numbers and why Office is still king.

It is just you---

Daniel updated the charts so either you didn't clear your cache or you're just reading other postings. I checked and all the colors are correct too. The 99% is the typical roundoff error caused when only showing rounded off percentages. This happens all the time. Create the table yourself and you'll see. I have no idea why they didn't work the first time.

As for Office being the king, you're right. It used to be the king of macro viruses and still is the king of having way too many options that are extremely difficult to find and 99.999% of users don't need anyway (no, I'm not going to tell you which ones). As far as Excel being all that great, tell me why people have to write all sorts of insane macros just to get the application to do what they want it to do. Shouldn't the king of all spreadsheet applications already have those features? Or are they using the Excel to do something a database does better? Just like Word being used to create publications.

You are permitted your opinion, just like I am, but I'm glad I retired and don't have to put up with all the "help" Microsoft kept giving me when using Office (that I didn't ask for and had to regularly correct).

• Reply 84 of 230
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nice. Microsoft's payees are out in full force today. Good morning, guys/gals. More clicks for AI! :)

Just so you -- and the other 'surf-rental' nitpickers -- know, DED does not work for Apple's advertising agency. And, Apple did not approve this.

That's not really the issue.  Clearly the Microsoft thing is an embarrassment for the MS marketing team- everyone knows 'Excel' actually gets the numbers right in reality.

The question I have as a 'surf-rental'/random bar chart labels etc etc nitpicker is that DED took an actual screenie of his 'Numbers' handywork.  Does Numbers actually botch things this badly or is it a similar error where he went in and tried to edit them and somehow botched them.   Apple may not have 'approved' DED's piece- but they did make 'Numbers'....   And if Numbers *actually* botches simple things like that it is unusable for anything meaningful beyond people trying to put their vacation dollars into a pie chart (really Microsoft?  Is there anyone out there that actually does this?)

• Reply 85 of 230
    Quote:

But, sometimes it is so ridiculously biased that I, a faithful apple client, feel very disappointed and upset.

The explanation?

The $500 cell is highlighted in the picture. Which is the amount by which the total amount is off.

Answer... it could have been typed into the cell and not confirmed yet by pressing ENTER.

No bug there.

You’re being awfully serious. Are you Frank Shaw? 

Also, count how many pie chart wedges are on the Surface.

Also, count how many of these billboards Microsoft has paid to put up for roughly $150,000 per month. 

Oops!  

• Reply 86 of 230
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    defconi wrote: »

The explanation?

No bug there.

again ... if they had not yet hit enter then the "500" would be on the left side of the input box, which is where it is when you type it but before hitting enter. having it on the right side of the input box indicates they have hit enter. also, it has the "$" next to it, indicating that formatting has been applied, which only happens after hitting enter.
  • Reply 87 of 230
    Are you people for real! This article was written as a poke at m/s not as if excel calculated the numbers wrong and if you can't see the irony in that you need to put those horned rimmed glasses back on put your pin back in your pocket protector and seriously contemplate why at 40 you have never been laid!
  • Reply 88 of 230

And this is somehow an excuse for not proofreading? No. It isn’t. Not in any circumstance. There is no explanation for this. It is laziness at best, false advertising at worst.

Pathetic, all you Microsoft hit and runs.

• Reply 89 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

That's not really the issue.  Clearly the Microsoft thing is an embarrassment for the MS marketing team- everyone knows 'Excel' actually gets the numbers right in reality.

The question I have as a 'surf-rental'/random bar chart labels etc etc nitpicker is that DED took an actual screenie of his 'Numbers' handywork.  Does Numbers actually botch things this badly or is it a similar error where he went in and tried to edit them and somehow botched them.   Apple may not have 'approved' DED's piece- but they did make 'Numbers'....   And if Numbers *actually* botches simple things like that it is unusable for anything meaningful beyond people trying to put their vacation dollars into a pie chart (really Microsoft?  Is there anyone out there that actually does this?)

This article was not printed onto a giant banner and posted all over America at fantastic cost, so it was easy to fix the typo you’d prefer to talk about to distract away from the fact that Microsoft bungled its ad in a very embarrassing way. 

• Reply 90 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sorry but this article is stupid. Does anyone really believe excel on a surface tablet can't properly add numbers? Of course not. So then it's just making fun of what appears to be a dumb billboard advertisement. Is this the best DED can do?
  • Reply 91 of 230
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this article is stupid. Does anyone really believe excel on a surface tablet can't properly add numbers? Of course not. So then it's just making fun of what appears to be a dumb billboard advertisement. Is this the best DED can do?

no.

yes.
  • Reply 92 of 230
    This article was not printed onto a giant banner and posted all over America at fantastic cost, so it was easy to fix the typo you’d prefer to talk about to distract away from the fact that Microsoft bungled its ad in a very embarrassing way. 

but it was written by the guy who provides editorials and opinion pieces. you know, something that requires insight and attention to details ... not jump-the-gun hypocrisy and irony.
  • Reply 93 of 230
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I think the Microsoft thing is funny and I'm happy to laugh at it.

If you are stating that your equally funny botched 'Numbers' screenshots were a typo, then I'm happy to laugh at them too.

It would not be so funny if those were results that 'Numbers' actually delivered (as it would not be funny for MS if those Excel results were real).

You taking the time to scramble and fix your Numbers is entertaining, but not nearly as much as fun as it is going to be watching MS scramble to pull these down.

• Reply 94 of 230
    bigpapi wrote: »
    Wow. This is worthy of an article? This is shameful. Let MS or Google and Apple fight it out accordingly but this is cheap. Office is better than anything Apple has EVER put out, this no one can argue. They're just using it as feature which is smart. The same way Apple uses their ecosystem to sell iStuff. You guys can't be such fanboys not to appreciate something else other than Apples stuff. The surface is actually very nice, I prefer the iPad of course but I have both. He surface is better at some things but that's life, no device is perfect. I know this is AI but have some balls to appreciate another product. So what if the calculation is off? Would anyone in their right mind use numbers over excel? Never. It was maybe a typo, who knows? It is idiotic to write an article about this. Shameful.

To be honest, Pages, and especially Keynote, defecate all over their Microsoft counterparts.

Numbers is not as easy for cell entry as Excel but that could merely be my muscle memory from all the years of being forced to use Excel.
  • Reply 95 of 230
    ROFL
  • Reply 96 of 230
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post

Wow. This is worthy of an article? This is shameful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][

What is shameful is pathetic shills such as yourself, who feel compelled to sign up in order to whine about this accurate article. I find you to be an extremely suspicious character, and I do not trust your intentions.

Microsoft can dish it out, but they can't take anything in return? Have you not seen the ads bashing Apple? Have you not seen Microsoft using SIRI's voice in their ads, to promote their failed Surface tablet? Are you blind? Have you been living under a rock? Do you receive a Microsoft paycheck?

And yet, an accurate article comes along, pointing out an embarrassing flaw in Microsoft's recent ad, and that causes you to lash out at the article which points out that flaw? Truth be damned, nobody should dare speak about this! Are you part of the Gestapo?

Do you not see the enormous irony in a spreadsheet program getting it's math wrong? What is your defect? Microsoft deserves all of the mocking that it's going to get for this. 

BigPapi is another "user" who is on the MS clock doing damage control for this article - only joined today - at least under this user name.

• Reply 97 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post

BigPapi is another "user" who is on the MS clock doing damage control for this article - only joined today - at least under this user name.

And believe me, as a Red Sox fan, he's no Big Papi. :D

• Reply 98 of 230
    Do you really think there's a problem with Excel being able to calculate properly? Numbers can do math but Excel gets the problem incorrect?

It's obviously a marketing dept typo.If you're saying Excel can't handle math, that seems as desperate and ridiculous as Microsoft's comments about iWork.
  • Reply 99 of 230
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

3-4 years ago Numbers was ridiculously difficult to use even to make a simple graph from a table. Select the right values to use as x or y was too complex.

It's now a lot simpler than it used to. But apparently they still have a lot to do.

• Reply 100 of 230
    Microsoft Word and Excel. Hmmmm. I remember those. Aren't they from the 1960's?