Android-based TV sticks activate as tablets, prove popular for bootleg videos in Asia

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 78
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

    They've made it bigger in China than they ever imagined.


     

    Well, they are following the China model of business: wholesale theft of good things, knocked together on the cheap.

  • Reply 42 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Bottom line is this can be proven.

     

    You can easily install Android on a USB stick and activate it.  I just did it.  I then reformatted the USB and did it again.  Google thanks me for its 2 new tablet activations.  If I can do this in a few minutes you bet your ass millions of USB's are being activated with Android as an easy and free video player.


     

    I'm confused why you think anyone is so personally invested in the android tablet activation numbers that he would repeatedly activate a mini PC dongle to boost the count.  That kind of behavior sounds like insanity.  I'm rational though, so I do have to be open to the possibility that there is an insane man somewhere on earth who bought one of these and occupies himself with it day in and day out.

  • Reply 43 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

    Neill, what do you think about Android activations when it comes to emulators? For example Bluestacks is a very common emulator available for both Windows and OS X that allows you to run a virtual Android tablet on your Mac or PC. There are also many others. Even Parallels and VM Ware Fusion allow this once you download Android. I have about 3 Android accounts I use for a game called Modern war which has factions (teams). I use these spare accounts to help with certain events. I would be willing to bet there are millions if not tens of millions of emulated Android running on Macs and PC's that are counted in the activation numbers. 

  • Reply 44 of 78
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

    I'm confused why you think anyone is so personally invested in the android tablet activation numbers that he would repeatedly activate a mini PC dongle to boost the count.  That kind of behavior sounds like insanity.


     

    What do you think Eric Schmidt has been doing since he stopped being CEO?

  • Reply 45 of 78
    What do you think Eric Schmidt has been doing since he stopped being CEO?

    That was genuinely hilarious.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post



    Even though the idea of TV dongles being popular in Asia and registering as tablets doesn't sound far-fetched, I think it's absurd that a news article was written based on the claims of an anonymous forum poster in Singapore.



    What's even more absurd, though not as surprising to me is the selective filter so many here use when they read new information. When an analyst or research firm puts out numbers that portray Apple even slightly unfavorably, zealots come out in force to attack the research. However when an anonymous guy on the internet says something slightly favorable for Apple, nobody questions it. Wow.

     

    So, do you have a better source of the 10 million Android "tablets" that mysteriously appeared in IDC's report going from one year to the next?

     

    Apparently these things activate as Android tablets, you got anything better to explain the disparity?

  • Reply 47 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    So, do you have a better source of the 10 million Android "tablets" that mysteriously appeared in IDC's report going from one year to the next?

     

    Apparently these things activate as Android tablets, you got anything better to explain the disparity?


    I do and I said so above. Android emulators on Macs and PC's using Bluestacks, virtual PC, Fusion, Parallels, etc. along with these TV dongles. I have around 4 maybe more Android accounts running on my Mac Pro that I rarely ever use except to play one single game for events that I bet get counted as Android tablets. One guy on my team has 6 of these accounts.

  • Reply 48 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,349member
    sog35 wrote: »
    They are not doing it to help Google.  They are doing it for movie USB's as the article states, in car systems, or as an emulator on a PC. 

    Is it any wonder that Google counts activations instead of units shipped?

    They count activations (via the PlayStore) because it's unimportant to the Android community and it's developers if that new phone/tablet/other isn't used as a smart-device. Shipments don't matter to Google for the most part and why should they?
    ...except for MM shipments of course. :p

    Just like Apple they want users to be engaged and committed to the Android platform with web, apps, messaging, games, books, music and all the other things that draw money in after the purchase is done. If Grandma buys a cheap Android smartphone just to call her nephew once a week then it's only being used as a featurephone for all intents and doesn't get counted in the Android activation numbers because she's not buying or using apps. That really the way it should be done too since those "featurephone" users aren't involved with the Android ecosystem nor put any revenue in Google's pocket.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Bottom line is this can be proven.

     

    You can easily install Android on a USB stick and activate it.  I just did it.  I then reformatted the USB and did it again.  Google thanks me for its 2 new tablet activations.


    Where does the device identify itself as a tablet?  On screen, in the user agent, or somewhere else?

  • Reply 50 of 78
    hill60 wrote: »
    So, do you have a better source of the 10 million Android "tablets" that mysteriously appeared in IDC's report going from one year to the next?

    Apparently these things activate as Android tablets, you got anything better to explain the disparity?

    My guess is that people bought tablets and activated them but I don't have the means to find out for sure.
  • Reply 51 of 78

    Steve Jobs On Android Founder Andy Rubin: 'Big, Arrogant F***'

    http://www.businessinsider.com.au/steve-jobs-on-android-founder-andy-rubin-big-arrogant-f-2013-11

    .

    .

    .

    .

    And I agree .... LOL

  • Reply 52 of 78
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post


     

    If schoolyard japes can be taken at face value, you know that Steve’s right when he says this.

  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    That is one fugly MacMini.

    That is the exact form factor of an Apple TV.  Even the plugs are in the same location, The only thing different is the power plug, and the Audio.

    on the apple TV the transformer is inside, and the Audio plug is an optical toslink plug.

  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post



    Here is the easy solution to this problem unless a publicly trade company or a company has been publicly certified reports their sales and it can be verified their number are not included in the market size calculations.



    We all said it before, Google is reporting activation, and as we have seen it does not translate into an actual sale of a products. one phone could be activated multiply times.



    Google has been giving anyone and everyone Android to use it how they like, but it does not mean that it being use as designed since it can be modified since it is open source.

    Only ASOP is open source.  The google play store version is not.  The google plays store version has googles proprietary apps and those are not open source at all. They are required to connect to the google play store.  Google claims that only play store versions of Android are counted.  But if these sticks are illegally installing the google play store version there stealing private ip and muddying the waters on activations.

    Im sure google doesn't mind the inflated numbers :).

  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post



    Even though the idea of TV dongles being popular in Asia and registering as tablets doesn't sound far-fetched, I think it's absurd that a news article was written based on the claims of an anonymous forum poster in Singapore.



    What's even more absurd, though not as surprising to me is the selective filter so many here use when they read new information. When an analyst or research firm puts out numbers that portray Apple even slightly unfavorably, zealots come out in force to attack the research. However when an anonymous guy on the internet says something slightly favorable for Apple, nobody questions it. Wow.

    What I find funny is how an Android supporter such as yourself comments on things like this on a pro apple sight named AppleInsider, and expects people here to listen to you.

  • Reply 56 of 78
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

     

    $100 gets you 20 movies. Additional movies are $2 each. I conclude that China needs NetFlix (or something like it) soon. This is what everyone but the content owners have known forever. If you sell access to content at a reasonable price and make it easy to use, people will buy it. As it stands they make almost nothing in China, India and other highly populated places in the world yet those same people are willing to pay if the price is reasonable and the access is easy.


     

    This is simply a continuation or evolution of what has been happening in China/Asia for the last 20 years. Previously we could get pirated VCDs and CDs of the latest release movies and albums for around 5-10 renminbi ('Chinese dollars') each, ie US$1 or $2, then it moved to DVD and now to digital media on USB.

     

    Any legitimate service has to compete with that, which is going to be very difficult.

  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

     

     

    I'm confused why you think anyone is so personally invested in the android tablet activation numbers that he would repeatedly activate a mini PC dongle to boost the count.  That kind of behavior sounds like insanity.  I'm rational though, so I do have to be open to the possibility that there is an insane man somewhere on earth who bought one of these and occupies himself with it day in and day out.


    Did you read the article?  These sticks are being made and sold by piraters, with pirated movies installed on them and activated as android tablets with movies installed to play illegally.   There not just some "insane" man installing android on a usb stick.  There being sold by the millions.  There even installing google play store versions of Android on them.  Those do count on googles activation list, as tablets.  The analyst companies like IDC and Gartner use the google activation numbers to supply there data.  Which means that the data is totally worthless.

  • Reply 58 of 78
    mechanic wrote: »
    What I find funny is how an Android supporter such as yourself comments on things like this on a pro apple sight named AppleInsider, and expects people here to listen to you.

    What I find funny is that you think I can't support both. I was reading this website when the original iMac came out. I love Apple products. And I love Google products. And > or.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    mechanic wrote: »
    Did you read the article?  These sticks are being made and sold by piraters, with pirated movies installed on them and activated as android tablets with movies installed to play illegally.   There not just some "insane" man installing android on a usb stick.  There being sold by the millions.  There even installing google play store versions of Android on them.  Those do count on googles activation list, as tablets.  The analyst companies like IDC and Gartner use the google activation numbers to supply there data.  Which means that the data is totally worthless.

    I did read the article, but sog35 was getting at people installing Android on USB dongles and activating it multiple times.

    If these market research companies are getting activation data from Google, then you should know right away that those activations don't come from a USB stick with pirated movies. Google counts only devices that have Play Services on board, which only comes on the officially licensed Android devices. If there are boatloads of full-fledged smartphones being sold in China that don't even make the cut to have Google's blessing, do you think Google is going to approve Play Services for a pirated movie drive?
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Honestly, folks, I have no problem with you loving your vendor of choice; I have my favorites, too. However, there are some purely delusional comments on this board; will you please get a grip, Apple is not a religion and you are not the flock. Apple is a business and you are customers. They want your business, your devotion is best placed with more important causes.
Sign In or Register to comment.