LG's Smart TV watches you: spyware ads report your behavior in creepy detail

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Well as a guy in the market for a new flat screen TV, LG just lost my consideration. I guess I have a lot of research to do now to figure out a configuration of either a smart TV or Roku type device add on to minimize the spying. Granted, I'm probably being spied on now using ATT Uverse, but I'm about to cut the cord.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lawrance wrote: »
    Well as a guy in the market for a new flat screen TV, LG just lost my consideration. I guess I have a lot of research to do now to figure out a configuration of either a smart TV or Roku type device add on to minimize the spying. Granted, I'm probably being spied on now using ATT Uverse, but I'm about to cut the cord.

2 words, Panasonic plasma.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    lawrance wrote: »

Good for you, cut the cord. And be smart as well; don't buy a smart TV. Actually, there aren't any smart ones out there. In this case, the dumber the better.
  • Reply 64 of 76

The problem with avoiding the smart TVs is you can't if you want certain features. Want 3 HDMI inputs,120Hz refresh, and local dimming? The high-end smart TV has it, but they don't make a dumb TV with the same features. Or, retailers don't carry the high-end dumb TV, they only carry certain price & feature points. So high-end picture = smart TV.

And then you get to manufacturing costs. It's probably cheaper for the manufacturer to put the "smart" hardware in every TV than it is to have different production lines for smart & dumb variants.

Then you have the same issue you have with smart phones. The hardware manufacturer has no incentive to upgrade the software once they've sold the device. Now you end up with the new model having the new version of Netflix (or whatever) but the model from a year ago will never get a software update. I have this now with a Panasonic Blu-Ray player I bought a few years ago. The Netflix app is woefully outdated, but there's no update even though new players have newer software.

It's best to keep the software on a device where the maker has an incentive to keep it up to date, that is, they make money off content. Apple TV fits that bill pretty well.

I'd like to see this sort of WireShark test done on all "smart" devices. 

- Jasen.

• Reply 65 of 76
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Easy fix. Don't connect the TV to the internet, ever. Seriously, what do you lose? Browsing the internet? Who does that?

You lose software updates and the ability to listen to Pandora, watch Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and other such services on your TV, although you can use external devices to accomplish the same thing, but that raises the same issues.   

We need a law that stops hardware manufacturers from collecting any data whatsoever without explicit permission.  

But there's much bigger issues than the sets reporting back to the manufacturer what you're watching.   The first, is that some sets are dependent on that feed working properly if the net is connected to the TV.   Sony has had problems lately with sets rebooting on their own if there's a data problem even if you're not watching net-based programming at the time.

The bigger issue is that this is just the first wave of so-called "smart sets".   The next wave includes TV cameras built into the sets.   This is not just for Skype, but for the set to recognize who is in the room and watching TV so that web-based (and possibly cable-based) advertising can be completely customized for each TV watcher.     The TV manufacturers don't make any money selling TVs, but they can potentially make lots of money selling such data.   Of course, both the privacy issues and the potential hacking issues are quite frightening, but that's where we're headed.    Second screen applications already "listen" to TV (and room) audio to keep the app in sync with the broadcast.      

• Reply 66 of 76
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

2 words, Panasonic plasma.

How does this help?  Panasonic's plasma sets are also connected sets.    And Panasonic will no longer be manufacturing them after the end of this year.   There will be no successors to the current model plasma sets, such as the VT60, ZT60, etc.       

• Reply 67 of 76
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    The problem with avoiding the smart TVs is you can't if you want certain features. Want 3 HDMI inputs,120Hz refresh, and local dimming?

Get a B&O. You won't regret it. No crap software, no software crap. No smart whatsoever, it just works. There's even a model that takes your AppleTV behind the panel and control it all with the B&O remote.

[VIDEO]

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/picture

• Reply 68 of 76
    zoetmb wrote: »
    How does this help?  Panasonic's plasma sets are also connected sets.    And Panasonic will no longer be manufacturing them after the end of this year.   There will be no successors to the current model plasma sets, such as the VT60, ZT60, etc.       

They're connected but not really a 'Smart TV'
  • Reply 69 of 76
    zoetmb wrote: »
    tonton wrote: »
    Easy fix. Don't connect the TV to the internet, ever. Seriously, what do you lose? Browsing the internet? Who does that?
    You lose software updates and the ability to listen to Pandora, watch Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and other such services on your TV, although you can use external devices to accomplish the same thing, but that raises the same issues.   

We need a law that stops hardware manufacturers from collecting any data whatsoever without explicit permission.  

But there's much bigger issues than the sets reporting back to the manufacturer what you're watching.   The first, is that some sets are dependent on that feed working properly if the net is connected to the TV.   Sony has had problems lately with sets rebooting on their own if there's a data problem even if you're not watching net-based programming at the time.

The bigger issue is that this is just the first wave of so-called "smart sets".   The next wave includes TV cameras built into the sets.   This is not just for Skype, but for the set to recognize who is in the room and watching TV so that web-based (and possibly cable-based) advertising can be completely customized for each TV watcher.     The TV manufacturers don't make any money selling TVs, but they can potentially make lots of money selling such data.   Of course, both the privacy issues and the potential hacking issues are quite frightening, but that's where we're headed.    Second screen applications already "listen" to TV (and room) audio to keep the app in sync with the broadcast.      

Well, since I don't live in the US, and since I already have an advertising-free Apple TV, I'm all set.

One thing about LG that is vastly superior is the passive 3D, which is why I chose LG in the first place.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Would the Apple TV be a device to make your TV smarter?
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Originally Posted by brianmelon View Post

Would the Apple TV be a device to make your TV smarter?

I’d say ‘smart’ in the first place, regardless of the software that’s on it.

• Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is why TVs should be as stupid as possible. Let the little box connected to them manage everything. At least you can trust it.

Wow, this is a first.. A non aggressive non member slating comment & one that I actually agree with!!!

I was showing some interest in my smart tv (yes, its a samsung) until sky sent me their little wireless on demand box.  Now for viewing purposes I don't see the point of even looking at the smart tv standard options of netflix etc. so i'm back to using the tv as it was intended - plugging / streaming stuff to it & watching it.

• Reply 73 of 76

There's been an official reply from LG stating that they will release a firmware update that will resolve the issue.

http://grahamcluley.com/2013/11/lg-firmware-update-spy-tv/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lg-firmware-update-spy-tv

By the way, I can't find any settings on my TV to turn off the reporting feature.

• Reply 74 of 76
    tonton wrote: »
    There's been an official reply from LG stating that they will release a firmware update that will resolve the issue.

http://grahamcluley.com/2013/11/lg-firmware-update-spy-tv/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lg-firmware-update-spy-tv

By the way, I can't find any settings on my TV to turn off the reporting feature.

Read the comments below that linked article. The fifth one is interesting:

"today my tv upgraded to new software version; in this new
    so called fix they have done two things. 1. option to collect info
    in main menu has gone. 2. new service agreement forced on user,
    where he/she agrees to give personal information this information
    can be shared with thirdparty and sent to south korea. if i dont
    agree to this agreement, my tv is just dumb tv, none of the options
    work. is that they call fix ? looks like lawyers fixed this
    problems than the RD team.”

So, LG’s “update to fix the issue” is essentially, “We’re taking away the OPTION to turn off the data collection, and making the “smart features” dependent on acceptance of new terms, which simply allow that collection by default.”?

If this turns out to be true, I won’t need to be reminded to never buy another LG product again. Ever.

They just joined my short, but illustrious list of boycotted consumer goods companies:

- Mitsubishi Corporation (a permanent, blanket boycott over their ongoing ‘earth rape')
    - Samsung Corporation
    - and now, LG
  • Reply 75 of 76

They just joined my short, but illustrious list of boycotted consumer goods companies:

- Mitsubishi Corporation (a permanent, blanket boycott over their ongoing ‘earth rape')
    - Samsung Corporation
    - and now, LG

That is indeed not a fix, but an all or nothing. Screw LG.

Doesn't Google also sell consumer goods? You might want to stick it to them as well.