Google takes aim at Apple's 'iOS in the Car' with Audi-Android partnership

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hello2014 View Post

I see a lot of negative towards Android being in cars. How people are saying they won't buy a certain brand because of Android? Since when do people decide on their next car based on the OS? I know I buy a car based on the way it looks, number one. Never had been about the OS in it all these years, why now? Seems kind of silly to me.

To each his own... :) For me having an MS or Android product in my car is a deal killer.

I don't want to have to muck about with an MS product (Sync).  I had enough of MS in the nineties at work with PC's! Ugh! What a nightmare that was compared to my home Macs.

Best.

• Reply 62 of 143
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    When people like myself refuse to consider Audi vehicles in the future, it will because of precisely the point you bring up.  How can I trust this automaker given its decision to integrate with an obviously inferior OS?  The answer is, I cannot and I will not.
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Android in Audi vehicles? What a major misstep and failure to understand their own customers. Android is the low-rent OS that mostly appears on crappy, cheap hardware. iOS appears only only the finest hardware. Clearly Audi products have more in common with Apple, and I am willing to bet their customers share very similar taste and economic advantages. Android belongs in Kia and Hyundai.

• Reply 63 of 143

This is a HUGE blunder for Audi.  I was ready to pull the trigger on another A8.  Now I will buy elsewhere.  If Audi did their homework they would know that the people with disposable income buy Apple products not cheap android crap.

• Reply 64 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,605member
    jack baker wrote: »
    This is a HUGE blunder for Audi.  I was ready to pull the trigger on another A8.  Now I will buy elsewhere.  If Audi did their homework they would know that the people with disposable income buy Apple products not cheap android crap.

Unless Apple has done an about-face and decided to open up iOS how would you propose an embedded iOS telematics system make it into an Audi or BMW or Mercedes or any other auto for that matter. Buy the completed turn-key system from Apple? Not sure if that would be very cost-effective for them. Maybe Eric the Half Bee can comment on that. He's intimately involved in developing automotive systems and mighty know if Apple is perfectly willing to let manufacturers modify their OS's as need be for use in vehicles or if they're pretty well set on integrating existing iPhones into manufacturers own systems.

I don't think what Google and Audi envisions is the relatively simple connect-your-iPhone/iPad to access information that Apple has in mind with their "iOS in the Car" program. I believe Google (with Audi's assistance) is looking to establish industry standards, easing the way and speeding telematics developement for the industry as a whole. If they're successful it probably won't matter what your smartphone of choice is. They'll all work within the manufacturers built-in systems along with the apps they choose to offer.

They also might have bitten off too much which remains to be seen. Apple has a good idea too and their's may be much quicker and easier to implement being not as integrated. They also have a lot of support from other auto companies.
  • Reply 65 of 143
    hello2014 wrote: »
    Never had been about the OS in it all these years, why now? Seems kind of silly to me.

Android is such a clunky OS that affects the entire car because all the technology within the car. Think about a car is more than 4 tires and an engine. Modern cars like Audi are lifestyle and leap ahead technology but with Android Audi downsizes the car. OK for years I bought Audi but Android changes my decision.
  • Reply 66 of 143

I think a lot of you are missing the bigger picture.  There is no way to put an Apple OS, be it OS X or iOS, in a car without Apple building the hardware.  Can any of you name a single instance of any Apple OS appearing on non-Apple hardware?

Beyond that, I don't think you'll see much of Android in the cars' UI.  With cars as they are now (actively driven by humans), there is no need for an app store or any of the typical Android user layer.  Whatever OS is in a car will be used primarily for low-level services like Bluetooth.  Using Android lets Audi take that basic service structure and add its own minimal driver-focused UI and whatever basic "apps" (radio controls, A/C controls, music interface, etc.) are needed in car.

Of course it's possible that navigation functions may be handled by Google maps, but that is an unequivocal improvement over the DVD-based navigation systems that are currently in cars regardless of whether you would prefer Apple maps.

• Reply 67 of 143
    Just wait until your Audi won't start because it has a virus. LOL. NOW Google can REALLY track your movements. Unbelievable misstep by Audi if this is true.
  • Reply 68 of 143
    I think a lot of you are missing the bigger picture.  There is no way to put an Apple OS, be it OS X or iOS, in a car without Apple building the hardware.  Can any of you name a single instance of any Apple OS appearing on non-Apple hardware?
    You apparently missed Apple's iOS in the car announcement?
  • Reply 69 of 143
    Automotive malware.

What a concept.
  • Reply 70 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

You apparently missed Apple's iOS in the car announcement?

That's not built into the car.  That's an interface for your iPhone.

• Reply 71 of 143
    I guess cheap LED lights aren't cutting it anymore. On to cheap phones. Very disappointing Audi.
  • Reply 72 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

An appropriate survey question, I believe: what percentage of Audi (or Porsche) owners own iOS devices vs. Android devices???

In March 2013, current Audi owners were asked "Which type of mobile/wireless phone do you use most for personal use?" Here are the results:

iPhone (60.3%), Android (23.4%), BlackBerry (7.0%), Windows Phone (2.8%). Source: Ad-ology AudienceSCAN, www.ad-ology.com

• Reply 73 of 143
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Rather disappointing. Audi is at the top of my list for potential car purchase when circumstances allow. If this comes through to reality by the time I am ready, Audi will no longer be in the list.
  • Reply 74 of 143
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    If you are going to spend money on a luxury car why would you use the budget phone? More importantly why would you risk your customer base with something as unstable as Android? If audi was catering to budget consumers, I could understand but its probably best to give people options here.
  • Reply 75 of 143
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    pigybank wrote: »
    Just wait until your Audi won't start because it has a virus. LOL. NOW Google can REALLY track your movements. Unbelievable misstep by Audi if this is true.
    im just not that hard up to let the nsa know what Im driving and where Im driving it all the time.
  • Reply 76 of 143
    Previous points are spot on! I don't want android in my new Audi. My last 5 cars have been new Audi's, can't see me making it 6 if this news is correct.
  • Reply 77 of 143
    Obviously a lot to do with quality map systems.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    leesmith wrote: »
    In March 2013, current Audi owners were asked "[URL=]Which type of mobile/wireless phone do you use most for personal use?" Here are the results:[/URL]
    iPhone (60.3%), Android (23.4%), BlackBerry (7.0%), Windows Phone (2.8%). Source: Ad-ology AudienceSCAN, www.ad-ology.com

If they went with an iOS in the Car solution then 40% of their buyers couldn't use it, restricted to Apple devices. Is that correct? I think the expectation would be that an Android-based one would work with nearly all smart-device OS's and not just Android thus being more usable to a broader range of Audi buyers. I doubt anyone would even realize it's Android unless someone told them so.
  • Reply 79 of 143
    adonissmu wrote: »
    im just not that hard up to let the nsa know what Im driving and where Im driving it all the time.

You'll really dislike this revelation then. There is no "safe" mobile platform that I'm aware of.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/30/nsa-worked-on-iphone-spyware-to-remotely-monitor-users-leaked-documents-show
  • Reply 80 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If they went with an iOS in the Car solution then 40% of their buyers couldn't use it, restricted to Apple devices. Is that correct? I think the expectation would be that an Android-based one would work with nearly all smart-device OS's and not just Android thus being more usable to a broader range of Audi buyers. I doubt anyone would even realize it's Android unless someone told them so.

I truly doubt the Android solution will work with 60% of those polled.