Hands-on: Mophie's Space Pack brings extra power, storage to iPhone 5/5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Mophie, best known for its battery-packing iPhone cases, outed an entirely new class of product at CES that not only charges phones on-the-go, but adds up to 32GB of extra data storage accessible by iPhone or computer.

Space Pack

Dubbed the Space Pack, Mophie's newest case boasts a form factor very similar to its Juice Pack Air. The differences are superficial: a shiny metal power level indicator button replaces the colored plastic version from the Air, while a silkscreened number located inside the case denotes storage capacity.

On the inside, however, Mophie packs in either 16GB or 32GB of flash memory as well as a 1,700mAh battery pack. The case connects to Apple's iPhone 5 or 5s via a removable bottom portion that also serves as the attach point for micro USB data transfer and charging.

"Many people know Mophie as a mobile battery company, but our primary goal is built on the idea of allowing our customers to do more with their mobile devices; to make accessories that are more than just functional and fashionable, but are truly smart accessories," said Mophie's senior director of product development Charlie Quong. "Users that buy a Mophie product can really do more with their phone or tablet. The battery is at the heart of that. Any user that owns a mobile device can't do any thing with it without power."

When connected to a computer, Space Pack is recognized as a mass storage device, much like a digital camera. For iPhone use, Mophie has created an app with hooks in Photos, Mail and other iOS 7 apps.

In the Space Pack app, navigating through files looks the same as flipping through a finder browser. Files are pooled and sorted by type using metadata and can be accessed via the app's gallery, videos, music and documents viewers.

Gallery also supports import/export to the iOS 7 camera roll and there is a sync option to backup an entire library to the Space Pack. The app includes its own camera function for quick snaps, but the UI is not yet finalized.

Mophie

Video loading is extremely fast and we saw no stuttering or jittering when playing back footage directly from the Space Pack. The app supports the same video codecs as iOS 7, and while unrecognized file types can be saved on the device, they can only be viewed after offloading to a computer.

A music player is also included in-app.

As for file transfer, the app supports AirDrop, AirPlay and text or email attachments. Alternatively, users can simply share files by putting the case on a friend's phone. A security option is in the works to require a passcode both in the app and when accessing Space Pack from a computer.

Finally, the app features battery status gauge and a usage pie chart split into various file types like videos, music and email, all of which can be used with iOS 7's "Open With" function.

Mophie

"Apps of today are powerful and intensive in terms of the amount of content and data they use or process, and in many cases these apps are vehicles for collecting more data," Quong said. "So no matter what storage size a user starts with, they're going to find themselves in a situation where they can use more. Space Pack solves two of the major pain points that users run into in their daily lives: it gives you more battery power and more storage for the smartphone."

Mophie's Space Pack is slated to launch on Mar. 14 at a price of $149 for the 16GB version and $179 for the 32GB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    That is definitely overly expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Glad to see they put the battery indicator lights on the bottom. With previous models they were on the side, always lit up while charging, and were so bright they light up an entire room at night which is a problem if it is on your nightstand.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    rokrad wrote: »

Ummm... I would say that the extra 32G cost LESS then paying for it in the iPhone, PLUS you then get the extra battery juice for free.

Then, BONUS, you get to keep the extra 32Gb AND the battery pack when you up grade to the next iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    How long do the rechargeable batteries last, effectively that flash is useless once the battery is no longer chargeable so reusing for next new iPhone is mute and the chances are the iPhone 6 is identical size I dunno !
  • Reply 5 of 22
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Then, BONUS, you get to keep the extra 32Gb AND the battery pack when you up grade to the next iPhone.

I highly doubt it will work with the next iPhone.  It's possible, but Apple has been doing body changes on the iPhone every other model.  Since the 5 and 5S share a body, the 6 will likely be different.

• Reply 6 of 22
    rokrad wrote: »

Yeah, but what did it cost when it was only a battery pack?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    So THAT'S what happened to my iExpander. ^%#^#<~<>>~%%¥£>%{!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 22

How do headphones work with the extended case?

• Reply 9 of 22
    I want one for my iPad mini
  • Reply 10 of 22
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I have been looking for an ultra compact battery case and Mophies certainly aren't that - they have poor aesthetics, are ridiculously bulky, and know you have this device which has an app no one needs as it mimics iTunes, is more expensive and certainly not ultra compact.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Product will have a more than even chance of becoming useless once the user decides to upgrade their phone. New iPhone body changes/height changes are the bane of these kinds of accessories.

I suppose, though, that if you buy at the right time, you can use this accessory over the course of two models.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

I have been looking for an ultra compact battery case and Mophies certainly aren't that - they have poor aesthetics, are ridiculously bulky, and know you have this device which has an app no one needs as it mimics iTunes, is more expensive and certainly not ultra compact.

Are there thinner ones out there? I'd really be interested. From what I've read, Mophie's are the highest rated.

Not sure I need the extra flash storage.

Of the Mophie line, I like the Juice Pack b/c it has real buttons and not just cut-outs. I had one with my 3Gs when I was doing a lot of air travel. I could use my iPhone on the plane knowing that I would have enough bat. pwr when I landed to make calls.

I know it sounds silly, but it really relieved a lot of stress. I only used it when I travelled. It did add bulk.

To anyone who travels, I would really recommend it! In fact, it is the only non-Apple accessory I would buy for my iPhone.

Best! : )

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Product will have a more than even chance of becoming useless once the user decides to upgrade their phone. New iPhone body changes/height changes are the bane of these kinds of accessories.

I suppose, though, that if you buy at the right time, you can use this accessory over the course of two models.

Good point. Quado! My first thought on this model was the added length. 

Like I said above, I had a Mophie for my 3Gs. I think it was $100. When I got my 4s I sold it for $25. I basically, "rented" it for ~$3/Mo. ($75/24Mo.s=$3.12). Pretty good deal for the stress relief brought to me for air travel.

Again, as soon as I got home, I took it off! 

Yep. I don't like adding any additional weight or thickness to my devices.

Best.

• Reply 14 of 22
    I have a juice pack air for my 5s, and use it occasionally. I'm pretty happy with how slim it is, and the rounded back is actually nicer to hold than the straight flat back.

Only minus is the added weight and length, but that's not enough if a problem to out weigh the benefits - it still fits easily into pockets.

Lights on mine are on the back, and only go only briefly when plugged in to charge, then are off.

It came with a headphone extension, which is a short solid bit to allow easy plugging in thru the extra length of the case. Otherwise I just thread my plug through and plug it into the phone before I attach the bottom part of the case.

It's a good idea, and I can't recall similar for expanding storage as they've done with these new cases.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I used to be a die hard mophie fan but my juice pack for my 4S was essentially bricked and not usable after installing iOS7. It's widely known problem for tons of people. Mophie has been no help in the issues either.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Wish they would have to just added a SD card slot so you can add as much as you wanted.
    also transfers from your computer would be very easy.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    paul94544 wrote: »
    How long do the rechargeable batteries last, effectively that flash is useless once the battery is no longer chargeable so reusing for next new iPhone is mute and the chances are the iPhone 6 is identical size I dunno !

I have owned three JuicePacks and have seen the capacity fall off pretty dramatically over time. The problem is that the JuicePack discharges completely before the iPhone's battery kicks in, and Li-Ion batteries don't like 100% discharges.

People who buy the JuicePack are heavy users and will typically discharge the JuicePack almost every day. Research indicates that a typical Li-ion battery loses 30% of its capacity after only 300 full discharges. So in a year you are in the 60%+ range for remaining capacity, and who knows where you are at the end of your two-year upgrade cycle.

JuicePacks are not very durable. My latest has basically fallen apart in the 18 months I have had it, and my previous one failed within a month and was replaced by Mophie. They are also quite bulky and the aesthetics are the pits.

But unfortunately they remain the best option out there, IMHO.

Jon
  • Reply 18 of 22
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Rechargeable battery would lasts 2000 charges being lithium making it lasts possibly 5 years, more than most people keep a single iPhone, yet only 2 generations likely which I assume he meant iPhone 5-5S transition which is possible for someone but not likely.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I'd rather have a thinner form factor with more battery capacity. There are free cloud storage options. Imho, it's pointeless to provide more storage.
  • Reply 20 of 22

When connected to a computer, Space Pack is recognized as a mass storage device” or is it “It is also capable of syncing your iPhone when plugged into a computer” according to http://gigaom.com/2014/03/05/mophie-space-pack-review/ is it a pass-through-sync or mass storage device?