Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    Wonder if the founders will stick around or leave and start anew.

Yes, Fadell is moving to Google as is Matt Rogers according to their press release, but the way it's worded Nest itself will continue to be operated independently from Google.

http://investor.google.com/releases/2014/0113.html
  • Reply 42 of 337
    Between the acquisitions of Waze, Meebo, Sparrow, and now Nest, being the destination for Search has given Google a clear and worrisome advantage over Apple when it comes to acquiring companies that reach the tipping point in adoption.

Apple needs some way to address this strategic shortcoming. I truly wish there was a Search alternative that would gain some meaningful traction to balance the scales a bit. Google having granular insight into what the market wants via search queries is going to eventually give them an advantage that Apple should definitely be worried about. In fact, I would be willing to bet that Google has been using search data in all of their strategic decisions and this has helped them make the gains they have with Android as well as other initiatives.

When you combine this Search advantage with Google's willingness to launch imperfect but good enough products (like Android), iterate them until they compete effectively, and make big strategic acquisitions it is making me fear that Apple's platform advantages may eventually not be sufficient.

Please help me understand why I may be wrong about this.

Note - I am only writing this as an investor. As a customer I am sure Apple has many years of productive use and I have no worries about the viability of the company as a whole. My focus here is on discussing whether Google has a strategic advantage (Search) that could be used to further erode the value of Apple stock.
  • Reply 43 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And now I’ll never buy one (much less the three I’d planned). Ever.

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don’t blame the guy for selling to Google. For 3.2 Billion, how can you?

Because morals can’t be bought.

Or intelligence.

The 2nd best company in the world bought a great "start up" for something that should be seen as an irrelevant number. 3.2 billion is a quarter for Google and money was made to be spent (with the goal of getting even more).

• Reply 44 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But what is more troubling; why didn't some Google Worshipper explain it to us? 

Yeah, where's Gatorguy when you need him?

• Reply 45 of 337
    joe mecca wrote: »
    The nest is popular, but to me, ecobee is the best. But that sometimes is not what it's about when dealing in the business world.
    Maybe nest is better than 2 years ago and perhaps it's caught up with ecobee, but I wouldn't put my money on it - Apple could by ecobee for much less and popularize it - they would also need to update the pathetic app.

It's about the design as well. I looked up that thermostat you mentioned and it looks complicated...

I'm hoping google doesn't complicate nest decides because it's something I wanted for my next house
  • Reply 46 of 337
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,099member

I just installed two in my house.  And I will now look for replacements.  There is no way I'm having Google own my home automation.  No way 

Nest could have been huge on its own.   They took the easy way out  

• Reply 47 of 337
    You are out of your effin' minds if you think Nest is worth $3.2 Billion. That's a joke and Google is willing to dump tons down the drain knowing with an inflated stock price now is the time to strike on such frivolous buys.

Holy crap folks! Wake up.

AT&T, Verizon, GE, CenturyLink, PG&E and others are going to own the Smart Home space in 3 years.

Nest knows this or they wouldn't be shopping for a buyer.

----------------------

By the way: "We're thrilled to join Google," Fadell said in a prepared statement. "With their support, Nest will be even better placed to build simple, thoughtful devices that make life easier at home, and that have a positive impact on the world."

============================

Fadell was never core to Apple's success.
  • Reply 48 of 337
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Get ready for Nest smoke detectors in your Android powered Audi

"In 300 feet, turn right, stop smoking and buy a Nexus!"

• Reply 49 of 337
    Sad :-/ Stop Google!
  • Reply 50 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scalpernt View Post

Between the acquisitions of Waze, Meebo, Sparrow, and now Nest, being the destination for Search has given Google a clear and worrisome advantage over Apple when it comes to acquiring companies that reach the tipping point in adoption.

Apple needs some way to address this strategic shortcoming. I truly wish there was a Search alternative that would gain some meaningful traction to balance the scales a bit. Google having granular insight into what the market wants via search queries is going to eventually give them an advantage that Apple should definitely be worried about. In fact, I would be willing to bet that Google has been using search data in all of their strategic decisions and this has helped them make the gains they have with Android as well as other initiatives.

When you combine this Search advantage with Google's willingness to launch imperfect but good enough products (like Android), iterate them until they compete effectively, and make big strategic acquisitions it is making me fear that Apple's platform advantages may eventually not be sufficient.

Please help me understand why I may be wrong about this.

Note - I am only writing this as an investor. As a customer I am sure Apple has many years of productive use and I have no worries about the viability of the company as a whole. My focus here is on discussing whether Google has a strategic advantage (Search) that could be used to further erode the value of Apple stock.

Looks to me that you are totally right. Google has been making some great decisions and playing to their strenghts. Larry Page is a fantastic CEO.

Meanwhile Apple has 160 billion staying still. Money like that = 0 if it isn't beeing put to good use. Of course, some members will come here saying that money doesn't make good produtcs, but Waze could've been a great "weapon" for Apple Maps. Sparrowfor Apple mail. etc.

What you and me must keep in mind is that Apple is the most powerful and innovative tech (and non-tech) company around, and they aren't here because of something as trivial as luck. We don't know that their main goal is. At any time, any moment, they can make a 200 billion investment into something and leave everybody else 10 years behind.

heck, something as trivial as buying T-Mobile and a shit load of spectrum and integrate all that on free imessage and facetime calls, icloud mail and sync + 300mb LTE would put the whole industry in flames.

We don't know sh*t, and that's frustrating.

• Reply 51 of 337
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How in the world is Nest worth $3B? Seems to me a crazy amount to pay for a company that has two products.
  • Reply 52 of 337
    Google is acquiring seemingly useful companies left and right. Would really like to see Apple doing the same. How many MAP related companies do they need?
  • Reply 53 of 337
    Give it a year .... in 3...2...1 shutdown Nest and kill their products! No Ads .... not welcome to google family!
  • Reply 54 of 337
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,862member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

"Innovation is in our DNA"   

Could have fooled me Tim. 

Please explain to me why Apple would be interested in buying a company that makes thermostats and smoke detectors? What interest would Apple have in this? iStat? iSmoke?

• Reply 55 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How in the world is Nest worth $3B? Seems to me a crazy amount to pay for a company that has two products.

Exactly!

But you know what. Money is no object for Larry and The L Team. All Larry has to do is FART ... Wall Street jacks up their shares by 25%. Nest is paid off.

Case closed.

• Reply 56 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlescarred1 View Post

I think home automation is the next big thing, not wearable devices. Right now it's just an amalgamation of so many competing products, lights, alarms, motion detectors, cameras, thermostats, smoke alarms, etc. A company should take all these items and come out with one whole house solution (hardware/software) that all works together under one umbrella. And looks and feels clean, modern and easy to use.

Then that company would be just another competing product, that's the problem.

What needs to happen is a high quality, low cost, no license fee, secure standard needs to be developed for all of the products to inter-operate.  Then that standard has to be backed by a company that can put out high quality products to lead the industry and convince other companies to also use the standard.

This also applies to many other areas like smartphone - car integration, smartphone - home appliance integration, photo/contact sharing, video chat, etc.  We have too many vendor specific proprietary solutions so it's a confusing mish-mash of competing incompatible products.

And I'll say it, Apple is a guilty party, they announced Facetime was going to be a standard, it's not.  iPhone uses a proprietary charger, their car integration solution is proprietary, Airdrop is proprietary, Airplay is proprietary.  Don't expect Apple to carry the torch here.

• Reply 57 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple up 550% last 5 years

Google up 315% last 5 years

don't be a prisoner of the moment

Google 5 years ago: A fantastic search engine.

Google now (pun): The 2nd most powerful company in the world, with almost full pocession of the most valuable resource found on planet earth: data. They also are the only hope of PC OEMs, Phone OEMs, car OEMs, TV OEMs and pretty much every single company that is afraid of Apple, so they will go only up.

I thought we knew that stock price itself means nothing.

• Reply 58 of 337

it's about energy data collected. I think Google is going to re-enter this market and see the energy consumption analytics - so they can sell you products based on how "green you are".

There is a lot of good here for Google - hopefully they don't blow it. 

• Reply 59 of 337
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,780member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Fell sorry for all the people who bought Nest products.

I cringe just thinking about what kind of data Google will collect and they will use it for.

I'll be putting tape over the camera! I also now want to know more about disabling access to the internet or at least how to install Little Snitch. :\
  • Reply 60 of 337
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Time for me to rip my Nest off my wall. Such a shame :(

F YOU GOOGLE! EVIL MOFOs!